Author Topic: Boyd and Harvey Co.  (Read 47053 times)

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
Boyd and Harvey Co.
« on: July 05, 2011, 06:51:13 AM »
On page 69 of Jerry DeVos' book--The Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes Railroad and Predecessors--Equipment Manufacturers and the Equipment, Volume II there are two photos of Boyd & Harvey flatcars.

The caption reads "The Boyd & Harvey Company, a lumbering operation in northern Maine, purchased at least four two-foot gauge cars from the Laconia Car Company Works.  These cars were manufactured and delivered in 1914.  The two four-wheeled trailers on the left and two eight-wheeled flatcars on the right were later resold to the Monson Railroad, a slate hauler in central Maine.-----"

I always assumed the Boyd and Harvey Company operated off the Monson, but the above capion puts it in another area of Maine.  Can anyone out there give more information on the Boyd & Harvey Company?  Was it a real railroad?  Did they have any locomotives?  Did they just use horses?  Any information would be of great interest to me.

Bernie Perch
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 07:52:05 AM by Bernie Perch »

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Boyd and Harvey Co.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 10:14:15 AM »
Bernie,

I think there is also a mention of these flatcars in Peter Barney's volume on Freight Cars: The Other Roads.  An internet search for Boyd & Harvey Lumber Co. only brings up Wilkipedia descriptions of the Monson, and that they purchased two flatcars from Boyd & Harvey.

Maybe some of the guys up there can be of more help.

Dave Crow

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 11:41:42 AM »
Dave,

I have seen references for these cars on several Monson rosters.  The four wheeled cars probably ended up in industrial quarry service and not on the regular roster.  I queried Jason several months ago about the Company, and he came up with a blank

The two above mentioned photos were worth the cost of DeVos' book along with more new information on the regular two-footers.  I am looking forward to Volume III.  Does anyone know when Volume III is coming out?

If anyone is interested in another nit to pick, are there any clear photos of the "Y" track replaced by the turntable in Kingfield?  This is also mentioned in one of DeVos's books which I don't have handy.  It seems a "Y" would be difficult to squeeze in there.

I have a few more tuff to answer questions if anyone else is interested.

Bernie Perch
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 11:46:40 AM by Bernie Perch »

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 08:19:57 AM »
Hey Bernie,

Please see the thread entitled Seboomook Lake & St. John RR dated 6/16/09.  There's a lot of discussion about the Boyd and Harvey Co. there.

From Maine Logging Railraods:

Carry Pond & Carry Brook RR Boyd & Harvey Co. Seboomook Lake Piscataquis ME 1914 1916 2' 

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 03:39:18 PM »
Dana,

I'll check it out.  Thanx for your answer.  Apparently it didn't last very long.

I can't seem to find that thread.  Could you hand feed me on how to find it.

Bernie
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 03:45:44 PM by Bernie Perch »

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 06:40:16 PM »
Hi Bernie, it was in the archives section, re-uploaded by web-whiz Ed Lecuyer from the old forum...
http://forum.wwfry.org/index.php?topic=824.0

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 08:55:45 PM »
Stephen,

Thanx for the tip.  I believe that discussion was just before I joined or buried where I didn't lurk.  Very interesting reading.  The information has some conflicts which is usual about obscure railroads.  But now I know a little more about the two-footers.  Too bad there arn't some photos.

Bernie

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 08:31:48 AM »
Hi Bernie,

I did a search for "Seboomook" and it brought me to the archives under Worldwide 2 footers and Seboomook Lake and St John Railroad..  Type Seboomook in search and it will bring you right to the thread.

Dana

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 07:06:53 PM »
Just as an aside - the phrase "Northern Maine" covers a lot of area, and probably means different things to different people.  To me "northern Maine" is primarily Aroostook County and the northern areas of Penobscot and Piscataquis Counties.  Others may view "northern Maine" as starting at Bangor.  It's sometimes pretty hard to define because "central Maine" is sometimes defined as Augusta and Waterville.

Roger Whitney

• Operating Department
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 09:49:47 AM »
Hello everyone here.  I just saw this topic.  I'm currently working on an article outlining the Boyd-Harvey Monson Railroad Connection for an Upcomming Monson Railroad Blog.  I've got some more info to share with everyone.  Roger
rwhitney@svrsu.org

Roger Whitney

• Operating Department
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 12:18:20 PM »
Hello everyone.  I just posted a short article on the Boyd-Harvey connection over on my Monson Blog which concerns this topic.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 09:20:59 AM »
According to Roger's recent post about this, the Boyd-Harvey railroad went up Carry Brook and also over to the Seboomook Lake and the West branch of the Penobscot.  According to Google maps, Carry Brook comes out onto Moosehead Lake.  There's a campground there today, Seboomook Wilderness Campground.  The road system looks like it may have been the railroad system.  The campground website makes no mention of what was there before.  I wonder if they might have any historical pictures.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2019, 08:39:58 AM »
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Terry Harper

• Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2019, 06:20:34 PM »
A short aside on the Seboomook Lake & St. John. In the archived posts it was mentioned that given the length of the railroad
and its location and purpose  - a narrow gauge line would have made sense.

Great Northern planned the railroad to be a major operation that would extend over quite a number of years.
By all accounts it was well planned and well built. However economic factors served to end it.

Interestingly while the line was indeed standard gauge they did use a narrow gauge locomotive and
equipment during construction.

The railroads standard gauge Climax was originally purchased for the Rocky Branch Railroad (Conway Co.) in 1910.
and acquired by Great Northern in 1921 at which time it had last been used (1920) on the Conway Co. East Branch Railroad.

Best regards,

Terry

Attached is a photo of the locomotive ordered from Baldwin but never delivered.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 06:25:14 PM by Terry Harper »