Author Topic: A railway with a heart of Gold  (Read 8563 times)

Phil Christopher

• Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
A railway with a heart of Gold
« on: June 17, 2011, 01:14:21 AM »
Im pretty sure anyone who volunteers at a 2 foot narrow gauge railway has heard of the Talyllyn Railway in wales.

If anyone is interested, I found this Gem of a film about the railway made in the 1950's.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoDGqQRlYZU

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time so far on the WW&F (even if ive only been there 4 times) but Ive always wanted to travel to the UK and see  all those railways ive read and heard so much about that played an ever so important role during the dawn of the industrial revolution and beyond. Videos like the one linked above just enhance that longing to travel and see. Surley Im not the only one who feels this way?

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
Re: A railway with a heart of Gold
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 01:48:17 AM »
Phil,

When you get a chance, chat with James Patten. He and his father-in-law went to Wales four years ago and rode some of the two-footers. There's also lots of good stuff under "Welsh Two Footers" here on this forum.

-John

Phil Christopher

• Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 01:59:50 AM »
I shal do that. I enjoy hearing experiences from people about a place rather than just looking up pictures on the internet about it. As much as I would like to go to the UK and see all that good stuff, Im still enthralled that i managed to find this gem of a railway and now Im seeing and doing these things ive always read about and heard about. Its an absolutely wonderful feeling!

As i type this, I have just noticed that this post should be in the Welsh two footers section. However my teenage laziness tells me that I dont feel like moving it, and an admin will eventually do that for me :)

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 11:16:57 AM »
Yes this should be in the Wales section - but I can't figure out how to do it.  Ed does this all the time, guess he'll have to teach me how.  I didn't see an obvious way.

Yes I went to Wales in 2007 and had a blast.  I've seen the video in the link, the Talyllyn has gone a long way since then.  If you ever get a chance to go - take it!  I'll be happy to recount my stories from my trip.

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 07:24:37 PM »
My wife and I will be there in about 90 days. I will then give a report.
Ira

John L Dobson

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 07:41:41 PM »
My wife and I will be there in about 90 days. I will then give a report.
Ira

Ira

When you come to Porthmadog I'd be happy to meet you (01766) 530670 (house) or 07980 497711 (Mobile) – I live only 6 miles from Harbour Station and am there most days.
John L Dobson
Editor, FR Magazine

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 11:17:01 PM »
For those that would like to read my trip report from Wales, go to http://forum.wwfry.org/index.php?topic=399.0.  It's the last page in the Worldwide Two Foot Archives.

Andrew Thomas

• Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 10:34:46 AM »
To add to John's offer, if anyone's visiting the F&WHR, drop me a line if you want a look round Boston Lodge Works.

andrew.thomas@festrail.co.uk

Cheers

Andrew Thomas
Media Relations
Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Railways
Harbour Station
Porthmadog
LL49 9NF

+44 1766 516072
+44 7785 593502
www.festrail.co.uk

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 10:43:59 PM »
Thank you for your offer. I will try to look you up when there in September/
Ira Schreiber

Jock Ellis

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 05:30:11 AM »
Who would have guessed that engineer was an actor? I think he saw Buster Keaton in "The Great Locomotive Chase".
Jock Ellis

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 03:24:00 PM »
The name of the old Buster Keaton movie was "The General", not "The Great Locomotive Chase".  The latter film was a Disney production from the 1950s, starring Fess Parker (of Davy Crockett fame) as Union spy James Andrews.  The Keaton film was from the 20s and is a silent movie based on the Andrews raid, but with a comedy touch. The train scenes in that film are nothing short of fabulous.

The Disney film is very difficult to come by, as they keep it locked up, along with the much-maligned classic, "Song of the South".  I was able to come by a copy of both.