Author Topic: Spring 2011 Work Weekend 4/29 - 5/1  (Read 25694 times)

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
Spring 2011 Work Weekend 4/29 - 5/1
« on: March 07, 2011, 08:43:54 AM »
The Spring Work Weekend is next month and the following list shows some of the projects that volunteers can help with.

Building Maint -
The east side of the shop building needs to be painted with a top coat of yellow.  This is to cover the primer coat on the northern half of the wall.  If there's time (and paint) we will paint the west wall of the shop addition.

Engine #9 -
Work will continue putting the forward and rear frames together.  The rear frame is to be assembled first.

Track construction -
The House Track will be built south from the upper yard switch on the new grade.  The switch points need to be finished and the throw rod and stand installed.  Ties, rail and stone will be put on the grade and the track tamped and leveled.

For the new members who may attend, the Work Weekend is a time of progress for the museum.  Come for good fellowship, great food and a chance to make new friends while making some lasting improvements to the railroad.  I will be involved with the paint crew (weather permitting).  Jason will instruct the folks who want to work on #9 (Jason will add more info as the time gets closer).  Our Track Chief is Dana Wigwam Deering.  He will be in charge of the crew.  Dana will add more info when he gets a chance - but building the spur is a rare chance to build track southward.   The spur is important because it will serve the (to be built) turntable, roundhouse and car storage building.  This is a major step forward for the WW&F.

Lunch and supper are provided by the museum.  Meal times are a good time to catch up with friends you haven't seen for a while.  We talk about things like music, movies and the Civil War.  Of course there's two things we never discuss ...  steam vs diesel and the color of narrow gauge freight cars!

We hope to see everyone at Sheepscot on the weekend of April 29th - May 1st.

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Spring 2011 Work Weekend 4/29 - 5/1
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 12:36:06 PM »
Stewart,
What type of paint do we use on the buildings: water-base or oil-base. If I'm able to attend the work weekend, I have a sprayer that could make the painting process move a great deal more quickly if there is any interest. Whenever I use the sprayer for painting I always back-brush the sprayed application. One person could apply paint and one or more folks could back brush.
I asked about the paint because cleaning the sprayer requires the use of a solvent, water or paint thinner, depending upon which paint type is used. Of course, this would be a moot point if there is no interest in using the sprayer.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 08:14:02 AM »
Hi Duncan,  We use water-based paint because alkyd/oil-based paint is not available in Maine.  As to spraying, Zack didn't want to use a sprayer for the prime coat due to the lumber being rough cut.  I'll ask him what he thinks of a sprayed application of the top coat and let you know. 

Another project this Spring is the re-roofing of coach 8.  The existing fiberglass covering will be removed and underframing repaired/replaced.  A new marine style covering will be applied that looks like painted canvas.  Steve Z. and Jonathan will lead the project.  Some work may be done prior to April 29th but there will be plenty to do on the Work Weekend.

Stewart

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 04:13:14 PM »
Thanks Stewart. Let Zack know that mine is an airless sprayer in case that makes a difference.

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 05:08:54 AM »
The track work plan is essentially a continuation of the work we began in the fall.  We'll work on installing the new siding and on surfacing, tamping, and lining the section we relaid.  If there's time for anything else we will continue surfacing and lining on some other section (I'd like to work on the stretch at Albee's field).  It looks like I'll have a bit more free time after this weekend (3/19 - 20) so I want to get the prep work that needs to be done completed before the work weekend.  That will have to be after more of the snow melts...

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 07:03:17 AM »
Some of items:

1) What weight rail are we going to use for the "House Lead"?  I drove by Vossloh here in Reading the other day and they have several piles of "light" rail frogs.  I could call them for a price and then I could delivery them on my trailer.  Up to 1800 lbs.

2) Would it by possible to bury a 14-2 plus ground power cable to the water tank?  This would allow us to install a wireless surveillance camera up under the eve, facing South to cover the yard.  Power needed is less than 1 ampere.

3) Is it possible to replace the North steps at Alna Center station with a ramp, with hand rail on East side?  A railing on the West side if clearance permits. This would help visitors who use wheelchairs, walkers, canes, etc. to use the AC station.  A ramp also would allow use of a hand truck to handle freight at AC.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 01:20:46 PM by Ken Fleming »

Bruce Mowbray

• Gandy Dancer
  • Just Another Day On The Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 01:01:45 PM »
I will be bringing up a tool post grinder and if all goes well, I may be working on getting the driver journal surfaces trued up on the #9 drivers. If time allows, I will take a look at fitting the driving box brasses to the axles.

Bruce Mowbray
Springville, PA

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 04:03:40 PM »
3) Is it possible to replace the North steps at Alna Center station with a ramp, with hand rail on East side?  A railing on the West side if clearance permits. This would help visitors who use wheelchairs, walkers, canes, etc. to use the AC station.  A ramp also would allow use of a hand truck to handle freight at AC.
I wonder about extending the existing platform (and associated stairs) about four feet northerly, then adding a ramp that runs in an easterly direction along the north side of the building. The lengthened platform would make spotting the stairs of two adjacent cars easier, and would provide access for visitors who use wheelchairs, walkers, canes, etc., as Ken points out. Having the ramp of the north side of the building would make it nearly invisible in most photographs, as these are typically taken of the south side. Water or ice dripping from the roof would not be a problem, as the roof sides descend on the east and west side, not the north and south side. On the other hand, Ken's suggestion of merely replacing the stairs with a ramp might be the least visually invasive and certainly simpler to construct.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 07:28:51 PM »
So what's the weather forecast for Spring Work Weekend?

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 07:35:07 PM »
As of now:
Friday and Friday Night: Mostly cloudy. Highs in the upper 50s. Lows in the lower 40s.
Saturday: Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 50s.
Saturday Night: Partly cloudy in the evening...then becoming mostly clear. Lows in the upper 30s.
Sunday: Mostly sunny in the morning...then becoming mostly cloudy. Highs in the upper 50s.

Current weather for WW&F:
http://forum.wwfry.org/index.php?topic=493.0
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 07:43:38 PM »
Thanks, Ed.

The sun is actually going to be out? It's been several days in NW Ohio since I've seen it. Rained all day today. Rain tomorrow, Wed., and supposed to end Thurs. morning. Then rain again Sat. & Sun.

Jeff S.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 07:01:19 AM »
Hi Jeff,

It's been wet - There's been rain in Alna the last 4 days.  Had a thunder storm with heavy rain overnight and showers will continue today.  The rain chance will lessen as the week progresses with the last chance being Thursday.  As Ed said, the forecast is for partly cloudy with temps around 60 Friday and Saturday.  Sunday will have more sun in the am with increasing clouds in the afternoon.  The outlook is subject to change so check the forum weather link.  You can also go to WCSH6.com (Portland's NBC affiliate) for a video forcast.

Everyone please note:  Due to the rain this week, outside painting projects are postponed.

Stewart 

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 02:43:40 PM »
All,

As of today - our grading contractor, Jeff Verney has fixed the high spot in the grade for the spur.  He pushed the excess gravel from the area next to the shed up to the low spot over the culvert.  The grade now has a nice level profile and you can see the switch from south of the shed. 

Coach 8 is spotted on the main, by the freight house.  Staging has been set up around it.  Steve Z. tells me that this weekends temps/weather will be fine for the roof material so the project will start as planned. 

Painting - There will be no painting of the shop building as the wood siding needs 4-5 days of dry sunny weather to be ready for paint.  There's been rain the last 4 days and today is almost tropical, 65 with 85% humidity.   It should start clearing off tomorrow but that won't be enough time for the building to dry. 

The forecast has improved somewhat.  Friday will be partly cloudy with temps around 60.  Saturday will be mostly sunny with temps near 70.  Sunday will start with full sun and clouds will filter in after lunch time.  Speaking of lunch - Sue and her crew are planning some great lunch and dinner meals for everyone. 

If you didn't get an invite to the Royal Wedding ... come on up to Sheepscot.  You'll have a great time and feast like a king.     

Stewart

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »
Well, my flight got cancelled, due to high winds, so I won't be out this weekend. The worst part about it is I had to drive 1 1/2 hours to the airport in Cleveland to find this out. Continental will be hearing from me, but it probably won't do any good.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 07:13:32 PM »
That's too bad. Hopefully you get a full refund, times 2 (for 2 feet that is).
Mike
Doing way too much to list...