Author Topic: January 2011 Work Planning  (Read 16372 times)

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Re: January 2011 Work Planning
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2011, 10:36:56 PM »
Work done on Saturday, Jan 22:

* Shoveling snow.  As Stewart noted, there's two feet of snow on the ground out there.  Fortunately it's light, fluffy stuff. 
* Phone system.  Stewart is installing an Executone phone system.  He's got the equipment set up in the machine shop, and got three phones in there, with an intercom link to the Percival house (the phone line that ran from Percival to the gift shop).  Once the weather is warmer he'll run some wires to the gift shop.
* Packing for the Springfield Show.

Because of the large snowpack on the ground, we didn't try to cut and burn trees today.

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2011, 10:47:03 PM »
A bit more about our awesome new phone system. We're in good company...this is the same system used by the B&O Railroad Museum and the Railroad Museum of PA...
Thank you, Stewart!!

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2011, 12:21:25 AM »
I took some photos today. Wanted to show everyone what January is supposed to look like. Unfortunately, I did not take a picture of the "Brains" of the new phone system. Pretty impressive.

Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2011, 12:27:09 AM »
Thanks Stephen,  The system is pretty basic.  It allows a call to be answered at any phone, put on hold and picked up at another phone.  Each new phone has an extension number that allows intercom calls between phones / buildings.  An extension list will be posted by each phone.  Right now intercom calls can be made from the machine shop, house and gift shop.  Other locations will have to wait until warmer weather since new cables will be run to each location and frozen cable cracks if you try to pull it off the reel.  More cable will be run in February, possibly during the Winter work weekend.

Stewart      
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 01:51:47 PM by Stewart Rhine »

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2011, 04:58:40 PM »
Anticipated work for Saturday, Jan 29:

* This weekend is the big Amherst train show in Springfield, Mass.  Many WW&F regulars will be there.
* For those at Sheepscot, it sounded like Jason and Fred would be around to provide direction.

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2011, 07:54:45 PM »
Very few at the museum today.  Joe and myself and J.B.. Ed G. came in for a while also, a couple of people who were at the museum for the fall work weekend.
They worked with Joe doing something in bay Four. At least they got dirty at what they were doing. I and J.B. cleaned of the rest of the freight shed porch. I got lunch  and cleaned up and headed home. When everyone comes to the BIG work weekend in Feb. it would'nt hurt to bring along a snow shovel. I'd like to think all the snow will be gone, but I'm not going to count on it.

Eric Larsen

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2011, 02:35:07 AM »
....sounds like more snow this week.  Sorry Fred.  :-\

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2011, 11:21:07 PM »
Myself, Bob Gabriel, and Ed Lecuyer took a day trip to West Springfield on Saturday.  I left the house at 5:30 AM and we arrived at the Big E right around 10 AM.  The show was as crowded as ever I last remembered it (from 7+ years ago), even with it spread out over 4 huge buildings.  I found a book and some DVDs that I was looking for.

Bob and Ed were impressed with the show, to say the least.  We left the show at 2:30 and I rolled into the driveway at 7.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2011, 12:06:33 AM »
Guess you could say this was a work weekend for the Big E show crew too.  John M., John R., Marcel, Cindy, Stewart, Zack, Ellis and Bob C. ran the museum's tables. Jane Robertson brought some of her great brownies for the crew.  It looked like sales were good both days as there were shoppers around the tables most of the time.  A big ticket item sold while I worked the table Sunday afternoon.   As James noted, the show was well attended, probably over 20,000.  There were quite a few WW&F members in the crowd that stopped by to visit.  Our tables were next to the SR&RL group so there was a lot of Maine two-foot talk in our part of the building.  Dave Newton had his neat 7/8 gauge layout right across from the museums tables.  The large locomotive and cars running up and back had crowds watching the action.  Other rolling stock included a model of SR&RL railbus 4 that was remote controlled.  The layout also has lots of cool buildings based on WW&F and SR&RL structures, Dave can tell you more.    

Stewart
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 12:36:26 AM by Stewart Rhine »

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2011, 12:27:04 AM »
Following up Fred's post on work this weekend...

On Friday Jonathan got a start on putting new brakeshoes on No 10.  They tend to wear on the top only- so we're saving two by flipping them over and installling two new ones.  These brakeshoes are not quite cast ready to go, so Jonathan is doing the necessary machine work.

I've been focusing a lot of time on machining No 9's frame casting; today I continued with this.  I believe there's probably another two days on this, after which time the casting will be taken off the mill and hand-work performed to finish it up. 

Looks like Joe's efforts yesterday were spent on lapping cylinder cocks on No 10. 

Jason

Todd Musial

• Hobo
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2011, 12:26:28 PM »
Joe, myself, and Red finished lapping the cyclinder cocks on 10. 

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2011, 01:32:16 PM »
At the Springfield show, Mass Bay RRE invited past recipients of the H Albert Webb Memorial award to join them in presenting the annual $10,000 grant to this year's recipient. As Bob, James, and I were on our way out that way, we stopped in as they were presenting the award, since we were the recipient of the award a few years ago, which funded the majority of the recent shop extension.

I ended up being dragged on "stage" by Leigh Webb (while pushed by James and Bob), as the WW&F representative. Bill Cowford (president of the Mass Bay RRE) proceeded to speak very highly of the WW&F and what we are able to accomplish.

I post this to let everyone know how highly we are thought of in the railfan and preservation community.

PS: The 2011 award went to Bershire Scenic Railroad to complete the funding for the restoration of a Maine Central switcher.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2011, 12:22:56 AM »
Fantastic! The BSRR guys have come up to help us in the past, and I was happy to hear it was a MEC Alco they're restoring over there, and that it will be finished in MEC "Green n' Gold."
The show itself was great, and as usual I got to "bump elbows" with "friends old and new" from around the railroading community.
Dave's 2'er layout was fan-TABulous, and the "TACONET" is a true gem of a model. (Now we need to build a 1:1 scale model of it!)
I was running my MEC 2-8-2 and most of my freight car fleet over at the CCTGG/M&P G scale layout, which I noticed was about the ONLY major G scale layout at the show! A lot of people were impressed with my train, a satisfying reward for years of work.
Meanwhile I got to meet my new boss from the Valley RR at the EST&RB booth, and found out more  about the Circus Train event this summer... wow!
It proves to be an EXCITING year ahead of us, at least as exciting as last year. ;D

Dave Newton

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2011, 12:53:04 PM »
As Stewart mentioned the 7/8N2 WW&N RY was directly across the asile from the WW&F booth and I think our proximity helped each other attract attention.

Stu mentioned the SRRL Rail bus which is the prototype of a run of 10 to be made.  I understand that 8 of them are now spoken for.

We also had a fantastic, highly detailed model of the Vasselboro by Mike Mueller and our own Marcel L. brought his Monson boxcar #8 which is dwarfed by my own #201 a full height 28 ft car.

Another modeler John foley was only w/ us on saturday and he had some real eye catchers including two flatcars hauling a bi-plane, the blue chicken wagon (a rail truck w/ clucking chickens on board, a wrecking train pulled by a small Davenport and a live steam Forney (see the attached video). ::) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt3EGShsKew.

While you're on You Tube you might want to look up a few other videos that have been posted of the WW&N and its visitors at this show.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 06:10:31 PM by Ed Lecuyer »