Author Topic: 2010 Victorian Christmas  (Read 35574 times)

Craig "Red" Heun

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 Victorian Christmas
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2010, 06:42:04 PM »
I guess the dance worked!!

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2010, 02:42:35 PM »
All, a few images from this year's Victorian Christmas...

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 06:04:05 AM by Stephen Hussar »

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2010, 04:47:06 PM »
Stephen,

Your work, as always, captures the moment forever.  I always look forward to your view of everything and can only say that it matches the magic of all the magicians at Sheepscot.  Over 900 people, that is difficult to imagine.  I'm sure #10 was was celebrating with magnificent stack talk.

Bernie
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 04:49:50 PM by Bernie Perch »

Matthew Malkiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
    • Lost Tracks of Time
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2010, 06:56:50 PM »
Stephen,
Once again your images of the WW&F are spectacular, you captured the spirit of the event.
Great side and backlighting shots; especially the child/horses photo.
Merry Christmas to all!
Matthew

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2010, 07:24:43 PM »
Stephen,

That last picture of the yard scene is one of your best.  That needs to be in a calendar at least or a lithograph.  Ol' Winston would be proud of you......
Moxie Bootlegger

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2010, 07:33:56 PM »
... and the third shot (with all the people) belongs in next years' museum flier!!!

Great work, Stephen!  In fact all you buys are terrific!

Best Regards and Merry Christmas,
Glenn

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2010, 06:30:00 PM »
A nice youtube video of the heavy train coming up Davis Grade.  I believe I ran this trip, and remember seeing a family at Davis Crossing.  In the video, they start off with chit-chat, but as the train draws nearer, No 10 requires more and more attention.  Nicely done, I thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-STJRcWiMgw

That's my attempt at a link-- sorry...

see ya
Jason

Gordon Cook

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Board Member 2009-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2010, 09:24:05 PM »
A couple of pictures of the mayhe.... uh, crowd scene at Sheepscot..

And one of the down train coming into the sun at Trask's crossing ...

#10 sure looks pretty with just a little decoration~!

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, and to all a Healthy and Wonderful 2011.
Gawdon

Kevin Madore

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
    • My Flicker Albums
2010 Victorian Christmas Pics
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2010, 10:44:53 AM »
Folks,

Here are a few pictures that I shot at the Victorian Christmas event last weekend.   Although we didn't have any snow, the weather was otherwise about as good as it ever gets.   Crisp and cold with nice, clear skies.  The trains were obviously packed as they passed by me out on the line.   And, that coal the museum is using is just awesome stuff!   ;D

My only regret is that I didn't spend more time at the Sheepscot platform.   I would like to have captured some of the crowds that gathered in the late morning and early afternoon.   I tried going back there just once around 1PM and had one heck of a time trying to find a place to park for 10 minutes!

To the photos! http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?offset=0&where=search|-2|-2|Maine, USA||-2|Victorian Christmas|15|1||||||||-2|Maine, USA||-2|-2||Kevin Madore|15|2010|25775||||||10||1||||&newdisplay=2

As usual, I had a great time up in there in Alna!   We'll see you all in the spring of 2011!

/Kevin

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2010, 12:55:48 PM »
     Thank you to all the photographers for sharing the great pictures!  The day went by in such a whirl that its nice to be able to see what it looked like!  The good feedback keeps coming.  A fellow at work lives near the railroad and he and his wife and son came for a ride and they were speaking with a guy from Arkansas who is here in Maine working a temporary assignment at Bath Iron Works.  He is a railraod enthusiast and decided to check out the WW&F.  He had never seen a anrrow gauge railroad before and apparently he was very impressed.  He was surprised to learn that we are an all volunteer organization and that we weren't charging for the rides.  More good will and perhaps a new member!  There were lots of happy people there on Saturday and we made a lot of new friends!
     I also want to mention just what a sweet little engine our #10 is.  She handled those heavy trains magnificently.  When we were coming up the grade at Cock Eye Curve with the first four car consist I was firing and I couldn't believe that she was making steam with all of that weight and on that grade, but she was.  She never faltered throughout the entire day and she was put though her paces (as were all of the firemen).  Her preformance is a great testimony to the mechanical department and their many talents that keep 10 running like the Thoroughbred that she is.  What a pleasure to run that locomotive!
     What a great day.  It was so nice to see everyone and to share another magical WW&F experience.

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2010, 07:37:23 PM »
HELLO EVERYBODY. Im back!!!  ;D I was serching through Railpictures.net and I found some photos of this event and I heard that this year was a huge success. So sucessfull that you almost used up all of your Rolling Stock that can handle a safe load of people on it (Im not sure if you guys used your 2 flat cars and boxcar) but overall a huge success. Great job guys and keep up the good work.  :) ;) :D :) ;D
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2010, 08:17:49 AM »
Just the 4 cars was work enough for the crew (especially the steam crew). Just about all the 10 wanted on a cold day.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2010, 12:58:24 PM »
One of my daughter's teachers has family nearby the museum, as well as a toddler-aged railfan. They had visited over the summer and returned for this year's Victorian Christmas. Her review is as follows:

"We had a great time.  My regret was that we could not stay longer or arrive earlier due to our schedule that day.  We did enjoy our ride-in the open car!  The refreshments were a warm treat after the cold ride.  There was just enough snow to make it very beautiful.  Parking was tricky- but not impossible.  They kept things moving quickly so nobody was standing around waiting for very long at all.

We will definitely go back for another ride this summer."
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2010, 09:42:17 AM »
Here's one from first thing in the morning...
http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=349721&nseq=22

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2010, 03:56:26 PM »
Beautiful shot Stephen, thanks to you, Kevin and Gordon for posting such great photos of the event.  As Dana said, when you you're working an event you don't get to step back and see things.  The images give those who worked or could not attend a nice review of the day.  This years Victorian Christmas is one of (if not the best) events the museum has ever run.

I was at Sheepscot for a few minutes today and the yard is covered under 12 - 14" of snow.  Except for the 103 and flatcars you can't even tell there's a railroad there.