Author Topic: Edaville is for sale  (Read 31151 times)

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
Edaville is for sale
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 05:08:35 PM »
See the details at

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/newsnow/x360240692/Local-owner-puts-Edaville-Railroad-on-the-market

or

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2010/11/04/popular_tourist_railroad_in_mass_up_for_sale?mode=PF

"CARVER — Edaville Railroad is for sale, the Marlborough-based owner of the historic land said today.

"Developer Jon Delli Priscoli said park operators Brenda Johnson and Robert Julian have decided not to renew their lease, which prompted him to put the facility up for sale..."

What–me worry?

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Edaville is for sale
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 06:10:26 PM »
I hope a buyer is found soon. It would be tragic to loose what is left of Edaville now.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 07:19:24 AM »
I am usually an optimist, but this doesn't sound good. Especially considering what Jon Delli Priscoli did to the Alcos and other antique equipment at the Grafton & Upton. Brenda and Rob (the current operators) were probably the park's best hope.

He's a businessman first, and I suspect the land at Edaville is worth far more than the amusement park.

One of the comment on the article summed it up well from a business perspective:
Hmm... $10M. This means that a PROFIT after expenses of $500,000 per year is required for any buyer to get a 5% rate of return on their investment. I am not optimistic that someone can continue to run it as a tourist attraction, pay taxes, staff, maintenance, insurance, etc. and have that king of money left over.

Someone on RYPN posted that a steamer from Boothbay will be running at the Christmas Festival this year. Maybe it would be good to pay one last visit.

I think that we should also start considering if there is anything at Edaville that we should have at the WW&F. I believe that Edaville still has one car (coach) from either the B&H/B&SR or Sandy River. Could the Hudswell be rebuilt into a replica of WW&F #6?
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Zak LaRoza

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 08:34:18 AM »
If I had a lot of money, I'd buy Edaville. Problem is, I don't have that kind of money! >:(

Glenn Byron

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 09:21:04 AM »
This is very reflective of the economic climate all around us.  Many of us bemoaned the loss of The Roy Rogers, Dale Evans Museum, formerly of Victorville, CA and ending in Branson, MO.  Trigger and Bullet will reappear this fall on RFD TV, and we enjoyed Nellybelle, Pat Brady's Willys Jeep, at the Hershey PA. AACA Fall Meet this Oct. The 3 Million $$$$ sale in New York City scattered the contents to the wind.  Many of our favorite attractions are in serious trouble and only a grass roots effort can save the day.  Millionaires are not sharing as well these days as someone posted above what the 10 Million asking price requires for return of investment.  Volunteering with our favorite institution is only one of the requirements.  The take at the door and membership receipts can only stretch so far. Look at the current upheaval at MNG where much of Edaville stock landed as a prime example. Our WW&F Museum seems to be faring better than most throughout this climate.  For that, we must congratulate our BOD and all the caring volunteers that give so freely of their souls to make it happen. We must not let our guard down a moment. Museums and attractions are very much at risk.

Tim Hairston

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 02:11:48 PM »
Car 21 from the SR&RL is there. I believe thats it for original stuff. There is also caboose #554 which I think is made from a B&H boxcar.
I am usually an optimist, but this doesn't sound good. Especially considering what Jon Delli Priscoli did to the Alcos and other antique equipment at the Grafton & Upton. Brenda and Rob (the current operators) were probably the park's best hope.

He's a businessman first, and I suspect the land at Edaville is worth far more than the amusement park.

One of the comment on the article summed it up well from a business perspective:
Hmm... $10M. This means that a PROFIT after expenses of $500,000 per year is required for any buyer to get a 5% rate of return on their investment. I am not optimistic that someone can continue to run it as a tourist attraction, pay taxes, staff, maintenance, insurance, etc. and have that king of money left over.

Someone on RYPN posted that a steamer from Boothbay will be running at the Christmas Festival this year. Maybe it would be good to pay one last visit.

I think that we should also start considering if there is anything at Edaville that we should have at the WW&F. I believe that Edaville still has one car (coach) from either the B&H/B&SR or Sandy River. Could the Hudswell be rebuilt into a replica of WW&F #6?

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 10:00:47 PM »
Well,...
it might be good for someone to get a bunch of trucks. couplers, etc...
but IIRC, most of what's there is of foreign manufacture and not suitable for museums.
That being said, I'm passing around the hat for the "Help Cosmo Buy EDAville Fund!"
Hey look, $5.00! Only nine-million, nine-hundred-ninety-nine thousand, nine-hundred and ninety-five to go!  ;D

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 07:54:24 PM »
And about 85 days to do it. Good luck Cosmo.
Mike

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 08:04:07 PM »
Nine-million, nine-hundred-ninety-nine thousand, nine-hundred and ninety-five dollars to go
Nine-million dollars to go
Take the hat down, pass it around
Help Cosmo buy the Edaville now.

Zak LaRoza

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 09:27:32 AM »
I think the hudswell could more easily be built into a replica of the Sandy River's Old Star than WW&F #6...

Tim Hairston

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 01:54:32 PM »
http://members.cox.net/edacards/card90.jpg
In this picture there appears to be another car like the #26 (now our coach eight) and also an excursion from the old Edaville. Since I don't remember either of these cars being sold they are probably still on the property.

Tim Hairston

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 02:53:14 PM »

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 05:32:56 PM »
There is one remaining original Maine car at Edaville, a former SR&RL coach.  I think it's either 21 or 22.  A bunch of other passenger equipment came in early in the twenty-oughts, I think built in Colorado.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 07:08:50 PM »
A recent photo (last 3 or 4 years) shows a coach with the celestrial(sp??!?) roof. This must be the SR&RL coach.
Mike