Author Topic: Albion Day 2010  (Read 18719 times)

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Albion Day 2010
« on: September 26, 2010, 08:06:59 PM »
Just a reminder to all that it's not too soon to be thinking about Albion Day, November 6, 2010. I spoke to Carl tonight and he's anxious to have a large crew again. There was some mention of moose meat stew and kielbasa though I got the impression that that would be my job to bring. Since we were last there the Albion group has started building a platform and has been preparing to build the outside stairway. He said something about concrete footings. Big John has been working on the switch. So there will be many opportunities for those with carpentry skills as well as for some track grading and brush cutting.
Mike, we'll need to bring track jacks, the rail bender, lining bars, spike mauls, rakes, shovels and a brush hog for starters.
Make sure to mark your calendars for this year's event. Please let us know if you'll be joining us so Carl can run down enough moose in his driveway to feed everyone.
KD

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Albion Day 2010
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 06:26:56 PM »
Ah, the annual trek to the North end. Looking forward to it as always. Carl and Phil are always happy to see us.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 08:42:13 PM »
All,
I spoke with Carl a few days ago. He's thrilled that Albion Day is next weekend so that he didn't have to miss the first day of deer season again. Stewart was in Albion within the last two weeks and has confirmed the tracks are still in place. Could you let me know if you will be attending as Carl wants a rough count for lunch - perhaps deer stew?
Dave

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 05:48:15 PM »
I spoke with Bob G. last week and he plans on meeting us in Alna.

Do you know what kind of work we will be performing. Just wondering what tools to bring.

Mike

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 10:27:53 PM »
Mike;
We'll need the rail bender, lining bars, spike mauls, a gauge or two, level, shovels, four aluminum track jacks, brush hog and ear muffed helmet at the very least. We should probably take some wrenches. We'll assemble the switch from parts Carl has gathered, line and lift the track and cut brush. There will also be carpentry work, probably inside. There will be a nice big tractor for you to play with. Carl will provide at least one compressor and nail guns. Ed can bring some of his carpentry tools. He will call Carl to discuss what materials Carl has. So far the list looks like this: you, me, James, Bob G, JB (maybe), Steve Z (maybe), Steve H (maybe), Bill F, Ed G., perhaps Dana and one or two of my neighbors if their schedules permit. There may be a few others my tired brain can't remember now. I'll get to Alna about 7:15. I'll call you tomorrow.
Dave

Jonathan B. Smith

• Operating Volunteers
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 09:31:12 AM »
Dave
Looks a good bet that I'll be joining the Albion Day crew so you can count me in on moose meat!
The only forseeable conflict would be if I were needed to help keep watch back at Sheepscot HQ.  Such appears unlikely so I'll anticipate signing on with you.
jb

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 06:47:17 PM »
Weather tomorrow... 40s with partly cloudy skies.

Rained a lot yesterday and today so bring extra footwear in case yours gets wet.
Mike

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 07:02:36 PM »
Hopefully there will be a photographer present  ;)
Your friendly newsletter editor.....

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 09:25:15 PM »
My camera is in the car just in case ;)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 07:56:28 PM »
Just to put our location Saturday into perspective, here is a link to the station area and grounds. The picture was taken a few years ago, so there is no Blacksmith shop or siding there.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=44.53673,-69.445052&spn=0.003579,0.006856&t=h&z=17
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 08:00:39 PM by Mike Fox »
Mike

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 10:28:46 PM »
Thanks, Mike - I jumped right into that map and started exploring north and south.  Think that I can follow the r o w down to Marden Shore Rd.  I'd better watch out or I'll be heading all the way south to Wiscasset!
Just checked Bing Maps and they have a more recent aerial photo that includes the blacksmith shop at Albion.

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 11:12:52 PM »
For roadbed tracing, may I recommend "Tours of the Narrow Gauge Railroad in the Sheepscot River Valley." Text by Bill Reidy, aerial pictures courtesy of Maine GIS, sketch maps by Linwood Moody, photos by Bill Reidy and Stewart Rhine. Great stuff! Available from the WW&F Museum Store in person or by mail order (see www.wwfry.org).

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 07:50:49 PM »
Bill, I can sit for hours and look at those maps. I can usually pick out some road or ROW somep[lace in the state. By far the hardest was and still is looking for the FS&K. Where that was never used, parts of it are very eluding. Some places I literally connected the dots.

Then Glenn Byron gave detailed locations and that filled in even more gaps. Guess I'll use Bing next time to compare.
Mike

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 05:15:01 PM »
All;
Now that I've submitted my story to the newsletter I can post a couple of photos that were not submitted for publication from Albion Day 2010.
KD

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 05:44:06 PM »
No incriminating photos. I like it Dave. Now I have to wait for the newsletter to see what pictures you supplied there. Thanks or sharing.
Mike