Author Topic: Pics from "Long Ago" (the 90's!)  (Read 2688 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Pics from "Long Ago" (the 90's!)
« on: September 15, 2010, 08:53:45 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Pics from "Long Ago" (the 90's!) has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Stephen Hussar wrote:
A few more terrific photos from Stewart's collection:
Davis Curve, Oct. 1997 Photo taken looking north, standing on east side of grade.

First train on Davis Crossing Oct. 1997 Photo taken looking north standing on west side of grade.

Davis Crossing, Oct. 1997

Looking northward from Davis Crossing, Oct. 1997

Stewart Rhine replied:
Here's a bit more on the photographs, taken during the Columbus Day weekend, 1997.

Photo #1 was taken Saturday morning and shows the curve being jacked and tamped.  The tip car is at the end of track.  James is at right and Dana is in the center.

Photo #2 shows engine 52, flat 118 and box car 309 at the end of track.  The flat car and box car were all we had for rolling stock back then.  This was the first time the train could be run far enough around the curve that you couldn't see it from Sheepscot station.

Photo #3 is the new crossing, looking East.  Engine 52 had been painted by John Bradbury about a month earlier.  Note that there is no lettering, running boards or headlight on the locomotive.

Photo #4 was taken from the end of track looking down the hill.  The end of clearing is the next property line.

Thanks for posting them Steve.

Joe Fox replied:
Those are really cool photos. I have nver seen photos of the railroad when it was first getting started. I have only seen track laying from Cockeyed Curve, Northward.

Joe

Stewart Rhine replied:
Joe,  I have 6 albums of photographs taken between Sheepscot and Head Tide.  They show the railroad's progress from 1997 to the present.  Many are taken in the same place a few years apart for a Then & Now view.

There's another album of shots from hikes along the rest of the railroad, from Wiscasset to Albion and Winslow.  The WW&F ran through some interesting places, like the long cut going through an open field South of Weeks Mills.  I will bring the albums with me on the next trip if you want to look through them.

Dave Crow replied:
Stewart,

Is there any chance that you could scan the photos so that James could update the WW&F web site?  I know that some of the pages for the map of the railway are devoid of any photos.  I like the way that the Alna page has developed over the years - from a field with a tree line all the way through to showing the station and tracks to beyond the top of grade!

By the way, James, the Alna page has a link to "North to The Mountain", which is not an active link; was there a plan to have a page for the siding at Top of the Mountain?  Any plans for a page for the Trout Brook Trestle?

Thanks to all of you that have provided photos, both on the web site and on NE Rails; it lets the rest of us see the progress at the museum!

Dave

James Patten replied:
Dave, no plan specifically for the siding at the top, just pictures for the march up grade.

Joe Fox replied:
Stewart,

I would love to see those photos that you have. The best time I think to do it would be during the Victorian Christmas crew supper. I will bring my photo album of RailCamp, so that the people that want to look through that can also. Talk to you later.

Joe

Stewart Rhine replied:
Joe,  I may not come up for Victorian Christmas but I'll be back in the Spring.  I'd like to see your RailCamp shots.

Joe Fox replied:
Ok. Have you seen the shots of #9 that are on NERAIL now? It looks like a totally different engine.

Joe

Stewart Rhine replied:
I have seen the latest pix on NERAIL.  If you didn't know it was the 9 it would be hard to tell with the cab, domes and stack gone.  It's good to see that level of work underway.

Bill Sample replied:
When my wife first saw one of the photos, she asked me "when did they get a tank car?"  - then she noticed the wheels and I told her the overhaul was underway.
I imagine the loco hasn't been so stripped down since it's days at Phillips, if that.

Joe Fox replied:
I believe, the SR&RL sold # 6 (W, W, & F #9) because they knew they could only get another year or so out of it, before it would need to be worked on. I can't remember where I heard that, but I read or heard it somewhere.

Joe
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Pics from "Long Ago" (the 90's!)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 02:00:02 PM »
Ed,  Thanks for bringing the old photos back.  I remember discussing museum photos with you during your last visit to Sheepscot.  I think it would be good to have a "Backward Glance" page on the museum web site or a similar section on the forum where early museum photos could be posted.  I have a number of photos of #9 being run on compressed air in 1996 that I'd like to scan and get posted.

Stewart   

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 02:19:48 PM »
Hi Stewart, (et al)

I apologize for not following up. I forgot about our conversation, but I did discuss it with James.

The big issue is that the WW&F web server has fairly limited space. Hosting a ton of images is not really possible. Instead, it would be better to put the pictures on a dedicated web server for photos (such as NERAIL), then we can link to them here if need be. Besides not using up our web space and bandwidth, it exposes the photos to a wider audience.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 11:01:36 AM by Ed Lecuyer »
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 04:58:59 PM »
The web server has only 1.4 GB of space to use.  That not only includes the website but this forum as well.  Our current usage is 450 MB, or about 1/3 of the way there.  It doesn't take many pictures to use that all up.