W.W.&F. Discussion Forum
June 28, 2017, 11:46:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Notice: Chasing our tales.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2ft gauge model railroads  (Read 1842 times)
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum
Administrator
Supervisor

View Profile WWW
« on: September 16, 2010, 01:42:26 AM »

MODERATORS NOTE:
2ft gauge model railroads has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

ETSRRCo wrote:
Any one here do any modeling of any of the two footers? I plan to build an On30 layout of my fictional railroad but I am using the Strong Me. station as a prototype for my railroads. Anyone know where you can find an O scale version of the Strong station? I am also thinking of using the Head Tide station as well. Anyone got anything on that?

-Eric

Dave Crow replied:
Eric,

Go to Yahoo and join the Maine 2-ft discussion group.  Also, if you get a subscription to Maine 2-Foot Quarterly, the editor, gary Kohler, can steer you to sources for kits.  I believe someone recently came out with an O-scale kit for the Strong station.

Dave

James Patten replied:
Gary Kohler's Maine2FootQuarterly email group has a wealth of information on modeling.

And with that, I remind you all that I'd rather not have modeling discussions here    

tomc replied:
Gee, i wanted to chime in about my 3 3/4 inch modeling.  I will go back to lurking mode.

Tom C.

tom at srclry com

pockets replied:
I was going to contact Tom and ask him to chime in.

I've met a father and son team, here, that are really great. I thank them for their help and will continue to communicate with them.

However, as sorely as communicative resources on this area of history are needed, lurking is probably best in this case.

Greg B.

gordon cook replied:
I realize that this is not to be a forum for modeling, but here goes anyway. This does relate directly to our activities at the museum.
Bachmann is making a line of On30 models using narrow gauge prototypes. I bought some and they are actually fairly nice models out of the box and seem to run reasonably well. They are bringing out a Forney this fall based on the SRRL Forneys that look very nice in the pictures. This means that there will be a reasonably priced, RTR, close to 2 foot appearance model available. They are large and detailed enough to visually interest young and old, however they would not be accurate models in that they are of mixed 3' to 2' heritage and the track is 30" gauge, but a lot of the 'flavor' is there.
So an idea is to build modules, as has been done by others, that represent a specific scene or place on the WW&F, and have one or more on display in the freight house for the edification and delight of ourselves and visitors. If the modules were made to a standard, then they could be attached together in the way that other clubs have done, so that where there was room or occasion, they could form a much large layout.
These models are DCC equipped, which means that the operation can be semi-automated for show purposes. The RTR aspect means that they could be built in much less time. Also, the plastic models don't represent huge investment in time and it wouldn't be a huge loss if they get worn out, dropped, lost, or what have you.
Any one else interested? I was thinking that a 'automobile sized' module would be best, say 3 X 6 or 8 Feet. The standard only needs to define where the tracks are on the ends, and how they hook together.
Thoughts?

Ira Schreiber replied:
I agree, this is not the forum, but Gordon brings up a great point.

With children being the future, a small module, like he proposes, in the Depot would be great for the little ones. They are facinated by things that move and this would be the perfect venue to expose them to "our" trains.
Big guys wouldn't mind it either.
Ira Schreiber

James Patten replied:
Certainly a module could be beneficial for train shows.  I believe Eric has brought a Sheepscot module (from prototype days) to a few shows.  If enough members bring enough modules you could have a separate area at the Amherst show in Springfield.

Allan Fisher replied:
We had a module of Head Tide(?) displayed in the freight shed for a couple of years (mid 90's) - kids did a considerable amount of damage to it. It was finally sold to one of the members.

Just where in the freight house is this module going to be displayed?

Or will it just be another piece that we will have to restore every couple of years because we had to leave it out in the rain.

Get real guys - we have a prototype railroad- why in hell would we want models of it?

fjknight replied:
I am in the process of building a module of the current Sheepscot station and yard in Sn2. Progress has been slow but I am counting on my retirement in January to free up enough time to have it finished for the Narrow Gauge convention in Portland next August. I would like to discuss this further but James doesn't want any modelling discussed here. Should we twist his arm to allow modelling discussions or should I work on setting up a WW&F Railway Museum Modelling Forum?

Frank Knight

James Patten replied:
If there is enough popular support for an area for modelling, I can set up a topic/section/what have you.

fjknight replied:
If there is enough popular support for an area for modelling, I can set up a topic/section/what have you.

James,

Is it done yet?

Frank

gordon cook replied:
I understand that volunteer time for many of the museum's projects is our most precious commodity. My idea wasn't to divert resources or attention from our main mission. This shouldn't be pursued if that is the case.

For some, the modeling aspect allows them to create the world that they want, and they can focus on those things that interest them the most.
That's the fun part of modeling. While I love working at the museum with everyone there, there are (very few) times when I'm at home and I pick up a model to work on, and I thought it would be great if some of that effort could be directed to the museum too.

I realize that room in the freight house goes from  plenty to not enough. A moveable module that would be the property and responsibility of a member can be set up or moved out as required. An unattended, broken, and dirty layout wouldn't be very exciting, so it would have to be under a  clear cover to keep dust and little fingers away.

I was thinking that this could have several benefits :
1. For those interested in modeling, It would be a fun way to contribute when they cannot be at the railroad, especially during the winter months.
2. A way to show what the railroad looked like at Wiscasset, Winslow, Albion, etc, and to be a way to animate those old pictures we all love to look at.
3. When we are not having a special occasion, to provide another exhibit that will be of interest to visitors, especially the kids and young adults who  don't have the patience to look at the old pictures and read the captions.
4. Provide a display for shows that would be informative, entertaining, and help to spread the word.

Realistically though, I don't have any extra time to do this right now, as I struggle everyday with too much to do, as I am sure most do. I already have new oil cups to make and an injector kit waiting for my attention.
So having planted the seed, let's  see if anyone else has an interest, and we can take this off line and go from there.
Gordon

sgprailfan replied:
http://www.miniaturesbyeric.com/itm00501.htm This is the kit I think I will be using to model WW&F #'s 2 & hopefuly 3 for On30, for my Forney Creek Railway.

Bill Sample replied:
I don't mind modelling discussion here as long as it is focused on the WW&F and how modelling can help to present the history of our line to the public.
Let me give Gordon Cook a strong second.  Even the current WW&F will not be able to replicate each location, but the world of modelling can somewhat bring these areas to life.
Recently I saw a module depicting North Whitefield - my first thought was "I've been there!"  Next I thought of how, in just the last few years, some of the buildings that were part of the WW&F era there have now disappeared, but the module brought it back to life.
Perhaps the folks at Albion have some room in the station for a module depicting that location, should one become available.

Joe Fox replied:
I think a modular section of what the museum yard looks like would be great, so that it can go to train shows, and people can see how our yard looks, and how big it is. I was going to try and make one of the entire track, but soon gave up, since it would be very long in scale size, even for HO scale. For HO scale, the current length of track would be about 120 feet, exactly to scale.

Joe

wwf9 replied:
I have been thinking about putting a On30 layout around the top of my train room.  I figure it would dress the room up and also be a bit easier to build than a G gauge one.

VicH replied:
Guys,

Not to continue this thread too far, but I and several others will have a modular layout in HOn30 that will portray many well known towns and scenes of the WW&F Ry during it's existence.

My module covers the area of Weeks Mills including the freight shed, station and across the road to the water tank.  Several non-RR structures are also specifically replicated on the module.

Other modules will include the Whitefields, Headtide, and likely Palermo as well.  All done with an eye bringing the WW&F back to life before your eyes. Plan to visit the convention next August, we'll be looking for you!

Vic Hamburger

Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: