W.W.&F. Discussion Forum
July 25, 2017, 11:37:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Notice: This train goes to 11.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Albion Day Pictures  (Read 1256 times)
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum
Administrator
Supervisor

View Profile WWW
« on: September 16, 2010, 01:30:42 AM »

MODERATORS NOTE:
Albion Day Pictures has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Stephen Hussar wrote:
A few shots from this year's Albion Day.
There was no Moose meat for lunch this year, however we asked Carl to see what he could do about it for next time!

Stewart Rhine replied:
Steve, Thanks for the pix.  It's good to see the progress - since I won't get there until next May.

Stewart

Bill Sample replied:
I also appreciate seeing the photos of Albion Day '06.  Like Stewart, the next time I'll be that way the black flies will be biting.
Any shots of the turntable pit area after Bruce did his cleanup there?
I wandered around that area last September and saw some hints of the former land profile reappearing from earlier brushcutting work.

Stephen Hussar replied:
Hi Bill, no stills of the turntable area, but I did shoot some video of Bruce doing the cutting there, and of the siding being constructed. I hope to edit and upload a clip in the very near future...

Dave Crow replied:
By the way, what kind of structure's pad is being formed to the right of the flanger body?  Is it on the railway right-of-way?

Steve Smith replied:
Dave, Carl and Phil told us this will be a blacksmith shop.

Steve Smith

Stewart Rhine replied:
Steve is right about the blacksmith shop.  In July, the Albion H.S. sent out fund drive letters for donations towards the construction of a blacksmith shop.  The pad and the stack of lumber in front of the Ford pickup is for that project.

Stewart

Bruce Wilson replied:
If anyone is interested in working a day in Albion next Spring, I'll meet you there some Saturday. Carl had mentioned to me that there is a load of old rail that needs to be pulled off neighboring property and I noticed some old automobile parts that need to be removed from the ditch to the south of the railroad property. I'd also like to move the load of standard gage ties away from the turntable pit and stack them by the current (usable) rail pile. The rail pile needs to be sorted and rearranged with any junk rail culled out for scrap.

Anybody up for a day of grunt work in the mud...?

Maybe Phil will be able to get a load of stone delivered for more ballasting too.

Stewart Rhine replied:
Bruce,  I'd like to come help you but there's another event that will be taking some time in the Spring.  BTW, keep May 20th open.  

I know there are plans to rebuild the turntable track at some point.  Are there any plans to continue building the mainline South?  I have heard that the W&Q owns the grade going down into the woods.  If this is true the mainline could be extended.

Stewart

Dave Crow replied:
Steve,

Thanks for the info about the blacksmith shop.  I'm sure Carl will like having an indoor place to work.

Stewart, I assume the May 20th event will be in the Sheepscot vicinity?

Dave

Bruce Wilson replied:
Stewart,

Will look forward to May 20th and also to discussing the idea of extending the mainline south from Albion.

Perhaps some of us might sit in on a future Albion Historical Society planning meeting and suggest this idea.

Dave Buczkowski replied:
Bruce;
I think that's an excellent idea. Ed Gilhooley, Brian Murphy and I walked south from Albion Station on Albion Daywhile you were brush hogging. We walked as far as the electric fence where you can see the next road. Once you get about 100 feet beyond the end of track it is mostly clear walking (except for streams and washouts) all the way to the fence and beyond.  It looks like someone graded the right of way not too long ago as there is virtually no evidence of any ties though we did see bits of coal. All we'd need to do is install some culverts, put down some landscape tarp and add a little fill here and there. The right of way isn't cleared to the full 4 rods but that also would be much of a problem if the decision was made to continue south towards Sheepscot. I'm game to work on the Northern Division track!
Dave

Bruce Wilson replied:
Hi Dave,

Should we ask James to run a poll among volunteers to see when the next Albion Work Day would be best scheduled for?

If we can get a day with a good crew willing, should we offer to continue trackwork, yard cleanup, etc?

It might be an idea to invite directors of the Wiscasset & Quebec organization to visit the site and have them meet with Albion Historical Society officers. We volunteers could then offer our labor if a southward right of way extension is agreed upon by the two parties.

Dave Buczkowski replied:
Hi Bruce;
I think a poll is a good idea. One idea I had was, if there was a large enough crew for the Spring Track Meet, that we ask for a dozen or so volunteers to drive north for one of the days. Obviously, one issue with that idea is whether there would be enough equipment (tools, jacks, rail saw, etc.) to meet the needs of both places on the same day. Another issue is the Roadmaster who might not take kindly to his troops deserting for a day so maybe that's not such a great idea. Now that it seems forces friendly to Albion actually control (own) the next piece of right of way I think it is very important to have a second Albion Day scheduled so that inertia isn't lost. Carl and Phil have done a great job so far but more help is needed on a regular basis. In addition to the W&Q, I think the WW&F board should be kept apprised and/or included in any discussions. This could be a win-win for all concerned.
We'll also need a coordinator who can devote the time and effort necessary to organize another work day or days. As we have seen, it is a lot of work to organize a well coordinated work day.
Dave

Bruce Wilson replied:
Dave,

I'm in agreement with what you have said. Let's see if James wants to conduct a poll and go from there. As he (James) has done a great job of coordinating the "work days", I'll offer to help him in any way I can, or set something up (based on the poll results) with Carl and Phil. I've already mentioned to Phil that more crushed stone is needed.

I'm sure that James will keep the W.W. & F. directors up to speed and maybe we can feel Allan out as to what the W. & Q. might be thinking.

James Patten replied:
Organizing these Albion Days has at times seemed a lesson in futility.  Everybody wants to work on the track, but nobody wants to work on the building.  And even track days doesn't attract that many people.

One day is enough for me to try to coordinate.  If we have a second day somebody else will have to step in.  Actually I'll be more than happy to hand off the first day to somebody as well.  As Dave says what's really needed is somebody that can step up to the plate up there and help with the duties, with an eye toward managing it eventually.

Allan Fisher replied:
Carl Buitta, Curator of A.H.S., writes on November 10th:

"On behalf of the A. H. S. , I would like to thank you individually for your effort, dedication, and expertise in making our railroad yard look like one."

Sincerely, Carl Buitta, Curator

"James Patten, Steve Zuppa, Patrick Murphy, Brian Murphy, Leon Weeks, Gordon Cook, Steve Hussar, Ed Gilhooley, Steve Smith, Dave Buczkowski, and Bruce Wilson."

I will forward this letter of thanks to James Patten for posting in the Freight Shed.

Dana Deering replied:
Let's try and keep the crew at our end of the line on our work weekends.  If someone wants to set up a separate Albion Day at another time I say go for it.  Right now it should be more of a priority to keep on pace for reaching 218 and sticking to the long range plan.  Just my opinion.

Dana

Yuu saw this coming didn't you, Dave?  

Joe Fox replied:
I agree with you Dana. The track work in the spring is so bad, that we often times need a bigger crew than what you can gather up so that the line can be jacked, tamped, and have dress ballast put down.

Joe

Dave Buczkowski replied:
Dana;
I suppose we could schedule it sometime in March but there might be snow and frozen ground. Or one alternative is sometime in June since May 19 seems to be a bad day for some reason. Or as an alternative to Shack on Track Laying Weekend Bruce and I could bribe the crews with warm chocolate chip cookies (with fresh milk apparently nearby....) and Carl's famous baked beans.
Dave

Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: