Author Topic: Tri-combine "Taconnet" no. 6/2  (Read 9942 times)

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Tri-combine "Taconnet" no. 6/2
« on: May 04, 2010, 04:24:43 PM »
While in Maine for the Spring Track Meet, I purchased "Narrow Gauge in the Sheepscot Valley," Vol. 6, Passenger Cars. I have been studying the photos and drawings in this book, and last evening something suddenly struck me about the lovely little no. 6, "Taconnet," later renumbered 2. Several of the later pictures of this car, whether it's shown in the "grey primer" or boxcar red, seem to depict the windows in the passenger compartment with what appear to be horizontal boards nailed across the openings inside the car. Even the end door on that end received the slats across the glass.

Having seen similar treatment to an old combine on a southern short line, modifications to which were made for use in express service, I now raise this question: by the time these pictures were taken, from about 1930 on, had no. 6/2 been relegated to express service only? Further proof is that the seatbacks are not visible in photos from outside the car, leading me to believe the seats may be gone. It also appears that the RPO compartment may gone as well, as the only interior photo includes the stove which was situated between the RPO and passenger compartments. Perhaps the grey primer in which it appears in a few photos was applied after the car was modified to carry something other than humans and before the final boxcar red paint. The only two in-service photos of the car both show it in the company of RPO/coach no. 7, which may add credence to my theory.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 09:23:48 PM by Wayne Laepple »

Wolf Siedler

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
Re: Tri-combine "Taconnet" no. 6/2
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 10:03:15 AM »
Wayne:

I second your thoughts.
When doing my plan for this car (which didn't make it into vol. 6), I had studied even more photos of this car. The horizontal windows boards were indeed there and they seem to have been intentionally applied (not as a quick fix). Regarding the interior, all images pointed in the same direction as your findings: That indeed the RPO partition was entirely removed. As for the seats, at least most of them seem to have been removed. I do not dare to claim all were gone as I have not yet seen any interior photo facing the lavatory end.

Regards,
Wolf

Benjamin Maggi

• Engine Wiper
    • View Profile
Tri-combine "Taconnet" no. 6/2 - Information & Resources
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 03:16:34 PM »
I am trying to compile a list of all known information on this Combine and didn't know whether it was best to start a new thread or continue an old one ("old" = older then 120 days). My ambition is to scratchbuild this car in 1:13.7 scale, which will allow me to run it on Gauge 1 track. Here are the resources that I know about so far:

Articles & Plans
- "Scratch-Building Wiscasset, Waterville and Farmington Combine #6 in 7/8n2"; Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette, March/April 2008 page 26; Author: Jack Disarro

- "Plan Set #22-B: 1:20 scale Wiscassett, Waterville & Farmington Combine No.6"; Garden Railways, February 1996 (insert) Author: Ted Stinson [Note: I talked to the author and he said that the plans were drawn to scale and then sized for 1:20 proportion, so blowing them up to 1:13.7 scale should be fine.]

- "Plan Set #22-C: 1:20 scale passenger equipment interiors"; Garden Railways, April 1996 (insert); Author: Ted Stinson [Note: I talked to the author and he said that the plans were drawn to scale and then sized for 1:20 proportion, so blowing them up to 1:13.7 scale should be fine.]

- "Scratchbuilding the WW&F combine No. 6, the Taconnet" (On3); Railroad Model Craftsman, August 1995 page 77; Author: Jim Auman. Note: features side elevation drawing, end elevation drawing, and interior arrangement for when it was an RPO.

- "WW&F #6"; Fine Lines, January 1970 page 4; Author: Bruce Cheever. Note: one page of basic construction notes and several pictures of the finished mode.

- Hand-drawn plans by Wolf Siedler [forum-member here]

- Jackson & Sharp original blueprints of the interior of the car, located at the Hagley Museum in Delaware. Note: copies of the plans are available for a small fee.

Pictures
- Narrow Gauge in the Sheepscot Valley, Volume 6, Passenger Cars. [Note: needs verification]
- Two Feet to Tidewater: The Wiscasset, Waterville and Farmington Railway; 1987; AUthors: Jones & Register; [Note: needs verification]

Can anyone think of anything else? Please post below or message me and I will update this list. Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 07:11:53 PM by Benjamin Maggi »

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 02:20:04 PM »
I think there was an earlier thread on the Taconnet.  The Delaware State Archives probably have the AC&F (post- Joackson & Sharp) builders photos of her; I have a copy of her sister, #5.

There is a museum in Delaware - I can't remember the name - has the builder's plans for the car; I have a copy of that, and I'm sure Jack DiSarro obtained a copy as well.  These were shorter cars than the earlier W&Q orders, and the Sandy River system orders as well.  However, the construction details would be similar.

You might also want to contact the WW&F archivist to see what exists at the WW&F museum.

Dave Crow

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 02:25:49 AM »
The name of the museum I was trying to recall was the Hagley Museum in Wilmington, Delaware.  When I get home next week, I can provide the address for them.

Dave Crow

Benjamin Maggi

• Engine Wiper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 10:11:34 PM »
There might have been an earlier thread about this, but my reading of the thread led me to believe that it was about a different combine (Perhaps #9). Any information about museum plans would be great.

Jack DiSarro

• Museum Member
  • Engine Wiper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 01:28:15 AM »
Dave, Ben-
I do indeed have a copy of the plan from the Hagley Museum (P.O. Box 3630 Wilmington DE 19807-0630). It is a side view and wall sectional top view in 3/4"=1' scale.  It is useful for framing, floor plan and overall dimensions.  Exterior details are illustrated in 2' to Tidewater and the latest volume of "NG in Sheepscot Valley".  The contact is Marjorie G. McNinch.
Jack

Benjamin Maggi

• Engine Wiper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 09:17:07 PM »
I contacted the museum and was put in touch with their "Railroad guy." I had to leave a message. Hopefully he can help me.

Benjamin Maggi

• Engine Wiper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 12:18:21 PM »
Also, I am trying to track down the NG&SLG article from March/April 2008. I contacted Bob Brown at the Gazette and he told me that this issue was sold out. He did personally make me black and white copies of it (at no charge too... a real class act) and while this helps the pictures are reproduced poorly. I own the rest of the articles and scanned them in color. Would anyone be willing to color photocopy this article for me, or lend it to me so I can scan it?

I have tried Ebay, but with several ways to list such a long magazine title alone finding this specific issue is difficult.

Thanks.

Benjamin Maggi

• Engine Wiper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
Dave, Ben-
I do indeed have a copy of the plan from the Hagley Museum (P.O. Box 3630 Wilmington DE 19807-0630). It is a side view and wall sectional top view in 3/4"=1' scale.  It is useful for framing, floor plan and overall dimensions.  Exterior details are illustrated in 2' to Tidewater and the latest volume of "NG in Sheepscot Valley".  The contact is Marjorie G. McNinch.
Jack

I contacted the museum and they are sending me a copy for a small fee. Interestingly, they said they only have the interior plans, not any side view as you suggest. Perhaps that is a mistake on their part, or perhaps you obtained yours elsewhere?

Jack DiSarro

• Museum Member
  • Engine Wiper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 12:33:39 AM »
Ben- I can furnish you the article in color and extra pictures I took while building the car in the article.  E-mail me at the address under "members" tab. Plan sounds like the same one; it has the layout of seats and RPO section. Jack

Zak LaRoza

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 01:41:40 PM »
I was wondering, were Vassalboro and Tacconet only used on the Winslow Branch?

Eric Larsen

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 10:47:39 PM »
They were used throughout the WW&F system, not only on the Winslow branch.