W.W.&F. Discussion Forum
July 25, 2017, 03:40:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Notice: Chasing our tales.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Seen in Abbot  (Read 2549 times)
Mike Fox
Museum Member
Superintendent

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2010, 01:16:47 AM »

Cliff, perhaps you can answer this question for me. I was in Monson a few weeks ago for work. I made a brief appearance, dropping what I needed to and returning to my area. I passed a garage of some sort in Abbot (on the right just past the Junction headed towards Monson) and there was a locomotive of some sort, no doubt a recreation of one, facing the road. In a quick look, I noticed it had road wheels under it. Was this some kind of parade float that was created or just what did I see? I took a picture on the return trip with my phone, but it did not come out the best. Here is the shot

And I cropped the above photo to get this

Mike
Membership Secretary, Life Member, President of ROWMOW 1 Manufacturing, Inc. CMO of off rail equipment
Cliff Olson
Museum Member
Baggageman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 01:41:57 PM »

Mike, that is indeed a parade float - - a replica of one of the Monson engines that was built on a truck chassis as early as the 1950's.  I believe that Elwin French, former engineer on the Monson RR, may have been involved in its construction.  Perhaps due to construction constraints, the proportions are inaccurate - - the replica should be higher and/or shorter.  The replica was kept in the old fire station (now the Monson Museum) when not in use but was disposed of a few years ago when the museum needed the space.  I don't know whether it's now for sale or is a display piece in what appears to be a permanent yard sale on Junction Hill.
Mike Fox
Museum Member
Superintendent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 12:30:26 AM »

Thanks Cliff. I knew you would have the skinny (I mean narrow) on this. It looked great as I passed by. Must be a real head turner in a parade.

Built on a truck chassis. Was it self propelled?

Mike
Membership Secretary, Life Member, President of ROWMOW 1 Manufacturing, Inc. CMO of off rail equipment
Cliff Olson
Museum Member
Baggageman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 01:29:10 AM »

The replica was self propelled.  I guess it would be more accurate to say that it was built on a truck (or car) body.  I believe there is a photo of the replica in both the Monson 150th and 175th anniversary books (the latter is still available from the Monson Historical Society on the Town of Monson website).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: