Author Topic: Seen in Abbot  (Read 9642 times)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Seen in Abbot
« on: September 11, 2010, 07:16:47 PM »
Cliff, perhaps you can answer this question for me. I was in Monson a few weeks ago for work. I made a brief appearance, dropping what I needed to and returning to my area. I passed a garage of some sort in Abbot (on the right just past the Junction headed towards Monson) and there was a locomotive of some sort, no doubt a recreation of one, facing the road. In a quick look, I noticed it had road wheels under it. Was this some kind of parade float that was created or just what did I see? I took a picture on the return trip with my phone, but it did not come out the best. Here is the shot

And I cropped the above photo to get this

Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Cliff Olson

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
Re: Seen in Abbot
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 07:41:57 AM »
Mike, that is indeed a parade float - - a replica of one of the Monson engines that was built on a truck chassis as early as the 1950's.  I believe that Elwin French, former engineer on the Monson RR, may have been involved in its construction.  Perhaps due to construction constraints, the proportions are inaccurate - - the replica should be higher and/or shorter.  The replica was kept in the old fire station (now the Monson Museum) when not in use but was disposed of a few years ago when the museum needed the space.  I don't know whether it's now for sale or is a display piece in what appears to be a permanent yard sale on Junction Hill.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 06:30:26 PM »
Thanks Cliff. I knew you would have the skinny (I mean narrow) on this. It looked great as I passed by. Must be a real head turner in a parade.

Built on a truck chassis. Was it self propelled?
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Cliff Olson

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 07:29:10 PM »
The replica was self propelled.  I guess it would be more accurate to say that it was built on a truck (or car) body.  I believe there is a photo of the replica in both the Monson 150th and 175th anniversary books (the latter is still available from the Monson Historical Society on the Town of Monson website).