Author Topic: Erie Canal Village  (Read 5590 times)

Tim Hairston

Erie Canal Village
« on: August 22, 2010, 06:35:36 PM »
I just found out about a two footer in New York at the Erie Canal Village. Here's a picture of their 1910 Davenport steam locomotive

They also have 5 diesels. The cars look like ex Edaville

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Erie Canal Village
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 08:46:59 PM »
Hi Tim,

Here is a video of the Erie Canal Village train in service.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCUd0t_swww

The 0-4-0T Davenport was featured in the look "Little Railways of the World" by Frederic Shaw in the section on William Willock's private narrow gauge railway.  It is very possible the combine was built by Edaville, as several of the other cars may have been, but I do not know this for a fact.  The coach was purchase from the High Country RR in Golden, Colorado and was built by the Sandley Works in Wisconsin Dells, WI.  Sandley was also covered in "Little Railways".

Best Regards,
Glenn Christensen

JoAnne Kennedy

• Hobo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 06:23:22 AM »
I visited Erie Canal Village last week and bought lunch at Pizza Hut for the shop crew.  We talked about the equipment, I left with the following information:
Currently the shop crew is working on a 12 ton Plymouth diesel.  The crew is replacing seals on the transmission.  once that job is finished another Plymouth will take its turn and then the Davenport 0-4-0T will be moved to the shop for service.  It will not likely be in service this summer.
The cars currently in service (a coach and a combine) were built in 2003 in Watertown NY by Steve Boothroyd who used to work at Edaville. Those cars have never been out of NY.  The cars are 40' long 7 wide and weigh about 8.5 tons.  They are beautiful inside and out. 
there is also a smaller coach 29x6 feet, lettered RW&CV 127 which I was told was built by Sandley.  It was used at Edaville in 1996.  I was told it is only used when extra capacity is needed on a given run, the crew preferring to make an extra run rather than use the car. 

JoAnne Kennedy

• Hobo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 06:30:20 AM »
here is a link to another video of the Erie Canal Village steam train shot in 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrEfklW_JeE

John Stone

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 06:32:04 PM »
That's a neat looking operation. Makes me think of what the B&SR might have looked like if they had sent their rails towards Portland instead of Hiram.
How long a run do they have at Erie?

JoAnne Kennedy

• Hobo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 08:43:11 PM »
The mainline is 1 1/8 miles long, with reverse loops on the ends.  One loop is 1/2 mile and the other reverse loop is slightly longer, making a total run of 3.4 miles.  the run takes about a half hour.