Author Topic: Log Possibilities  (Read 12945 times)

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Log Possibilities
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 05:16:44 PM »
Building a working sawmill and running it sounds like fun, but let's not get sidetracked (pardon the pun) from our primary projects, of which we have many (maybe too many?).

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 05:57:42 PM »
Wayne brings up the fundamental problem of these ideas- resource allocation.  Having these side-shows (couldn't think of a better term) in place would increase our presentation and value greatly- however we can't afford to put them in place because they aren't our main reason for existing, and our major projects are too demanding of time to put aside, and will be for some time.

The last discussion on the sawmill was the hope that an interested, outside party might get involved to make it happen- to which we could provide support.  That's a tall order- though we haven't asked around either. 

Random thoughts...

Jason

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 07:04:44 PM »
What Wayne and Jason stated is true and I agree, that's why my earlier post noted that "A sawmill would be nice but it's probably a few years down the track"  Yes, the sawmill has been discussed before and I don't think anyone expects it to happen any time soon... it's just a cool thing to discuss on the forum.  Running log trains can happen a lot sooner.  The best photo ops would be in Winter which is when most logging was done, of course the event would be at the mercy of the weather. The biggest thing to arrange would be loading the logs. 

With the right planning it could be a Winter 2011-12 event. 

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 07:09:14 PM »
Simply relocating the mill from Sheepscot mills to Alna Center would give riders something else to look at while in AC. Relocating would not cost anything, just time. Plus this may also bring in some volunteers with renewed interest in another great area of local and Maine History.

Putting the sawmill idea asside for now, what are the possibilities Mr. Varney would be willing to loans us some logs to have an actual load on the flatcars? He has been great help in the past.

A load of boards would look nice too but that is a lot of handling.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 08:40:57 PM »
I think Richard Verney's log loading days are done with.  He's told us that he won't load rail for us any more, so I think that precludes logs too.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 08:51:43 PM by James Patten »

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 03:01:48 PM »
There should be a site plan for the museums land on the west side of the tracks at AC.  Then, if (or when) the Board approves moving the saw mill and building a siding for it, we will know what trees to remove and where to set up the mill. 

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 10:06:14 PM »
You know, I've been all about this prospect/project from the get go (since I first heard about it.) If I lived in the area, or at least, closer to the museum I'd be all about running it (the sawmill), but distance is currently a big problem for me. Maybe in a few years though,... who knows?