Author Topic: A few stories ...  (Read 154725 times)

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
Re: A few stories ...
« Reply #405 on: September 23, 2018, 11:25:25 PM »
An Alna resident who is a friend of the WW&F has a couple staying in her home this Fall.  The husband, Richard heard his host speak about the railroad and last week he saw a museum member in the Alna General Store wearing a WW&F shirt.  A question about the railroad turned into a friendly 15 minute conversation about the history and present day operation of the narrow gauge.  Richard said he would stop by sometime and this morning he brought his wife, Jill to Sheepscot for a train ride.  The couple boarded the train and was enjoying the scenery.  When it was time for their tickets to be punched …. it turned out that the Alna Store WW&F member was the train's conductor.  Well, the conversation picked right back up where it left off, this time with Jill asking the most questions.  When the train reached ToM, engineer "Bullet" Bob Longo came back to the coach and asked if anyone wanted to ride in the locomotive cab.  Jill spoke right up so she and Richard rode all the way back to Sheepscot with Bob and ashcat Dana Deering.  At Sheepscot hey thanked the engine crew and spent some time taking photos. 

During a later train, the couple showed up at Alna Center where they had driven to get photos of the train coming through.  When the southbound train stopped to call Sheepscot from the AC depot, Jill and Richard came over and once again told the crew how they enjoyed the cab ride commenting how friendly everyone is.  The train continued it's run back to Sheepscot and upon arrival the crew found a smiling Jill standing on the platform.  She had just purchased a museum membership and she brought a fresh baked carrot cake for the train crew to enjoy.  Nice surprise! 

Thank you Jill, it was nice to meet you and we appreciate your becoming a member.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 23, 2018, 11:47:21 PM »
I am glad I had a piece of that cake. Yumm!!
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 27, 2018, 11:47:00 PM »
Last month a fellow came to ride the train but missed the noon run by about 10 minutes.  He came over to look at the railcar while I was oiling the turntable and asked about the history of the Model T.  A conversation started and he told me that he grew up in Coopers Mills and that his family had lived there a long time.  I asked him if anyone in his family ever rode the WW&F and said "well, my father grew up in the 1950's and his father (my grandfather) used to ride the train to Wiscasset in the 1930's".  I asked if he knew any stories about the narrow gauge from his grandfather and he replied "only one".  He told me that when he was a kid his grandfather told him that he went to Albion one time to visit his cousin.  He said that when he got on the train to return, the cousin asked him to go to Wiscasset any buy some blueberries.  He replied "but they're not in season".  The cousin replied "by the time you get there …. they will be".   

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 28, 2018, 03:09:26 PM »
Jill and Richard were great folks.  She was really into it.  The cake was delicious!

I hope the WW&F never loses that friendliness for which we're known.  I especially try to treat the kids the way I wish I had been treated when I stood trackside when I was their age.  It makes a big difference and you never know how many future volunteers we're inspiring.

I got a nice letter from a member in California whose granddaughter is, at age 12, a dedicated volunteer at a RR museum out there and one reason was the WW&F experience (including a cab ride ) she had three years before.  You just never know what a difference you make.

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 28, 2018, 05:42:52 PM »
Dana, you and Jason gave me my first cab ride. Now look where we are. ;)
Track laborer, roadmaster, general laborer, and much more.