Author Topic: Monson tour  (Read 12220 times)

Cliff Olson

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
Monson tour
« on: June 28, 2010, 01:47:37 PM »
At last fall's work weekend, Dave Buczkowski suggested that I arrange a tour of the Monson Railroad for any WW&F members who might be interested.  I could conduct such a tour any day of the week of July 4 (except Sunday the 4th and Thursday the 8th) or any day of the week of July 19. As a bonus, the Monson Historical Society museum should be open on Wednesday and Saturday of those weeks (10-2). 

I think the best approach would be to start at the Monson station and to walk both north and south on the roadbed (about 3/4 mile in each direction).  This would cover the Monson Pond Quarry Branch as far as the former Monson Maine Slate Company mill and the main line from the Monson yard to the former Portland-Monson Slate Company sidings.

Monson is about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Portland and about 2:15 from Sheepscot.  Let me know this week if you're interested and what days would work for you.  If notice is too short to do this in July, we could try a date in August, September or October.

Dale Reynolds

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
Re: Monson tour
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 05:26:46 PM »
hi cliff, dave has a great idea here, would like to do it, almost any day in august. dale reynolds, pendleton sc

Cliff Olson

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 08:26:24 AM »
Dale, apparently no one else is interested except a couple guys I am showing around on July 24. What's a good time for you in August? The only weekend days I will definitely be available are August 21 and 22, but certain week days are a possibility as well.
Cliff

Dale Reynolds

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 10:52:31 AM »
hi cliff, i'm surprised no one else has expressed interest but i bet it's a bit early for some to plan. i arrive and meet with bruce wilson on july 31. then my family and i are at round pond until august 28. except for the picnic saturday and a possible brakeman training day, which james usually does on saturdays, i am free. during the week or sundays look less busy for me. sure appreciate your help here. dale

Cliff Olson

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 07:01:14 AM »
It looks like James is planning on brakeman training on August 7, and the picnic is August 14, so I'll try to keep the August 21-22 weekend open for Monson.  Sunday is probably the better of the two days. We can talk more about a specific date, including some weekdays, after you have arrived in ME.  Have you been to Monson before, and is there anything specific that you would like to see?
Cliff

Dale Reynolds

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 10:49:05 AM »
hi cliff, sounds great. no i have not been to monson, the only one of the 5 i have missed. that is why a tour by an expert would be so helpful.... the first time i drove the wwandf we spent hours wandering around aimlessly. then the tour book came out.... what a difference!!! i penciled in aug 22. your email is not in the members list, it wuld be great to get contact info so i can bookmark you before we leave. thanks for the efforts here,  dale