Author Topic: Shop Building & Machinery Improvements - Official Work Thread  (Read 119803 times)

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Shop Building & Machinery Improvements - Official Work Thread
« Reply #225 on: March 28, 2019, 06:09:33 PM »
If there is a chance for concrete in the "old" half of Bay 1, perhaps a pit should be included, since Bay 1 is the preferred stall for the operational steam locomotive.

Benjamin Richards

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 28, 2019, 06:20:42 PM »
"Dual-gauge crane rail" <---- Love it!

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 28, 2019, 06:28:32 PM »
Is there any budget/priority to finish putting a concrete floor in Bay 1 this year?

There is no present plan or labor hours available to concrete bay 1 right now. Bay 1 is mostly used for parking the steam engine and really isn't used for maintenance. Putting a concrete floor in would also involve taking out all the posts between bays 1 and 2 and putting steel beams up and a center post to support the second floor . Bay 1 is supported on mudsills on all four sides right now that would need to be removed and replaced with concrete footers.

Remember we have to lengthen and widen the car barn this summer. The car barn is a priority project to get the coaches from Portland  undercover and provide us with museum dispaly space. We also have a 30' x 80' pavilion to put up at Alna Center and 2000' of track to put down this year.

OK the obvious question...why the wall work?
And the finished Car 34 woodwork looks gorgeous, Zack!

The bottom of the wall was removed last year when we put the concrete floor in. The upper portion was serving no purpose other than blocking the light in the shop.
United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 28, 2019, 06:49:18 PM »
Note my comment about Bay 1 began with the word "If." What you say makes total sense to me under the current circumstances.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 28, 2019, 07:28:46 PM »
Seems like a lot of insulating has gotten done in the last few weeks. But in reality it has been a very steady progress all winter. Glad to see it done. Way to go guys.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 28, 2019, 07:51:47 PM »
Thinking longer term, a new and better pit in the roundhouse would be a preferred way to go...

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 28, 2019, 07:58:34 PM »
Seems like a lot of insulating has gotten done in the last few weeks. But in reality it has been a very steady progress all winter. Glad to see it done. Way to go guys.

I was thinking last Saturday when I saw the insulation work completed how many volunteer had that work taken over the winter?  Yup -- way to go guys.  Terrific job done.
What–me worry?

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 28, 2019, 08:07:19 PM »
It was largely Randy and Steve doing the high rise balancing act, and Jay doing the carpentry.  Others as well contributed.  It has been a steady weekday project for some time now...

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 29, 2019, 12:14:17 AM »
Congrats on completing wall insulation. Sharp-looking sheathing/wall trim is progressing.
And you have your red wallboard lift ready for coming ceiling finish work.
Brighter ceilings will make the shop lighter, help make work easier.  8)

Monumental!

« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 12:19:29 AM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 29, 2019, 06:41:54 AM »
Well done you guys! I guess it has  been  more itchy than sexy  to insulate  such a large shop but all due to you and the potbellies it will become a nice and warm place to work all along winter. Things will come along still faster that way. 

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 17, 2021, 12:11:02 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing Wilmar on the rails at Sheepscot.

Jeff S.

What I m looking forward to seeing...is the new (at least to us!) Lodge and Shipley lathe.
Now all we need is a nice Monarch 10EE lathe for smaller work......
Keith

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 17, 2021, 01:22:06 PM »
There's a bunch of Monarch 10EE for sale on EBay right now.  Prices vary widely based on condition and attachments.
Moxie Bootlegger

Alan Downey

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
    • Preservation Pattern
« Reply #237 on: January 17, 2021, 01:40:33 PM »
Keith,

I'll have some pictures of the new lathe next week, and more once it comes over to the shop. It's an incredibly nice machine. To give a sense of scale, it's a 40" swing x75" capacity machine, 15' long end-to-end, and about 13,000 lbs. Factory scraping marks are still visible on the cross feed ways.

As for 10EE's- I ran a couple while I worked at the machine shop at UT Dallas- they are fantastic machines. But I struggled to justify us bringing in a lathe that has such (relatively) limited z-capacity. They also fetch a premium if they are in good condition, and while their constant torque drive system is one of their selling points, it can be a costly repair in the event of failure. In the end a donor purchased a Monarch 12CK for us which came out of Lie-Nielsen's tool and die shop. It is in fantastic shape and will make for a nice improvement over the current "small lathe" (less wear, cam-lock spindle nose, quick change gearbox, quieter, higher top-end speed) while matching it's capacity.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 01:44:03 PM by Alan Downey »
Head of Jason Bothering Department
Shop Foreman

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 17, 2021, 02:13:12 PM »
Keith,

I'll have some pictures of the new lathe next week, and more once it comes over to the shop. It's an incredibly nice machine. To give a sense of scale, it's a 40" swing x75" capacity machine, 15' long end-to-end, and about 13,000 lbs. Factory scraping marks are still visible on the cross feed ways.

As for 10EE's- I ran a couple while I worked at the machine shop at UT Dallas- they are fantastic machines. But I struggled to justify us bringing in a lathe that has such (relatively) limited z-capacity. They also fetch a premium if they are in good condition, and while their constant torque drive system is one of their selling points, it can be a costly repair in the event of failure. In the end a donor purchased a Monarch 12CK for us which came out of Lie-Nielsen's tool and die shop. It is in fantastic shape and will make for a nice improvement over the current "small lathe" (less wear, cam-lock spindle nose, quick change gearbox, quieter, higher top-end speed) while matching it's capacity.

Alan.....this is the first I’ve heard of the Monarch 12CK coming to the museum. It sounds like a fine machine!
Hopefully the virus situation will improve and I will again be able to visit the railroad in person.
Keith

Ted Miles

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 18, 2021, 04:17:39 PM »
Folks,
         Regarding the new lathe; there appears to be a second guarded motor up on top. What is the function(s) of this second motor?  I assume the regular motor is down in the base.

Ted Miles, WW&F Member