Author Topic: Want To Own or Build A Steamer?  (Read 4741 times)

Glenn Byron

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
Want To Own or Build A Steamer?
« on: June 01, 2010, 10:09:11 AM »
THREE, That's right, Three, running Stanley Steamer Automobiles are now consigned to The Stanley Museum Auction to be held in Kingfield, Maine on July 9, 2010.  Seldom does fully functional steam vehicles become available outside the close knit circle of steam car owners.  Along with these vehicles, there are small lots totaling 340 at this date which includes many very hard to find steam components like guages, engines, differentials, and body parts. These long hoarded parts and pieces are scrounged world-wide to be made available right here in Maine for this Auction which benefits the Stanley Museum.  If you have an interest in STEAM, and you wouldn't be here if you didn't, this is the summer to be around Maine.  Along with this auction on July 9, a gala preview party is scheduled for July 8, where you will be able to leisurely look over the offerings while enjoying The Stanley Museum and the wonderful Sugarloaf Mountain Region of Central Maine.  We expect many steam cars to be puffing around the neighborhood as this is also the kick off week for "Come Steam With ME Again", a Steam Only tour of coastal Maine taking place all the next week.  I just talked with the organizers and was told that so far 48 Steam propelled vehicles from all over the world are signed up.  Can you imagine 48 ancient steamers roaming around our neighborhood?  Probably there wasn't that many out and about on any given day in 1910.  For more information contact The Stanley Museum at  http://www.stanleymuseum.org/index.html  or 207-265-2729.  I'm going to try to include a picture from the 2006 meet at Ormond Beach Fl. where we celebrated the 100th aniv. of the land speed record set by a Stanley Racer.  We had 50 plus running steam cars at this event, and as those of you who work on steam propulsion know, this was quite a feat. See also Discussion Forum topic in Sandy River Railway section to view a Hand Colored Photograph available in this auction.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 03:12:48 PM by Glenn Byron »

Jock Ellis

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
Re: Want To Own or Build A Steamer?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 12:21:57 AM »
Glenn,
Just what is the Stanley land speed record. I've heard several figures. Do you have any other info on the speed record attempt?
Jock Ellis

Terry Harper

• Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 05:01:25 PM »
Jock,

The offical record is 127.659 set on Jan. 26, 1906 by Fred Marriot driving a One-off Stanley racer variously called the "Rocket", "Florida Racer", "Flying Teakettle" or "Freak" as the media called it. An excellent read on the subject is "Bravo, Stanley!" by H. James Merrick.

Glenn Byron

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 07:20:41 PM »
And Yes, We have plenty of information (Very factual and well documented) at The Stanley Museum.  "Bravo Stanley" as mentioned was written especially for the 2006, 100th Aniv. Meet at Ormond Beach, by our archivist, Jim Merrick.  An autographed copy can be yours by contacting The Stanley Museum in Kingfield, 207-265-2729 or    http://www.stanleymuseum.org      Here you can learn all you ever wanted to know about those races on the Beach and, as you can see from the nicknames above, the Steamers weren't always popular in competition.  Come to the Museum to see actual pictures. I have many other pictures from the 2006 meet. Email me.   Glenn

Glenn Byron

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 01:42:55 PM »
Since it was mentioned above, I'll try to include an Ormond Beach photo taken 100 years after the record breaking run of over two miles a minute was set.  The Stanley Racer shown is a 2/3 Scale Model which had been in a museum for many years and brought to the meet to reinact the beach run, at much slower speed of course. Upon arrival at Ormond some of our Steam Team from the Stanley Museum was invited to help get the racer operational.  To say that my hands were inside this special vehicle was a thrill I'll not soon forget.  The driver is a relative of Fred Marriot and the unit made us all proud in performing assigned duties. There are many of us who would like to see a full scale replica of the original racer created.

Glenn Byron

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 06:56:14 PM »
Yes, It still happens!  One fellow from Mass. showed up at The Stanley Museum Auction with a trailer/pickup full of a disassembled 1902 Locomobile (Stanley designed) steamer he bought at a LAWN SALE.  He owns several MG automobiles and a neighbor called him to say that a local doctor had died and his children were selling everything to clean out the house including an old steamer.  What a find!  This fellow was the hit in Kingfield while steam enthusiasts were all assembled to play for rare and seldom found steam cars/parts. He wasn't selling, just trying to learn what he'd done and how to proceed with this basket case.  A whole new world opened up with the chance encounter.  Now, he's a steam car owner, a Stanley Museum member, and much more informed about what he has captured( Which is about 97% of a 1902 Locomobile). A great time was had by all in Kingfield, including me buying a Hand Colored Photograph (See Sandy River Railway section of Discussion Board).