Author Topic: Ex-Edaville 2' Porters  (Read 27947 times)

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Ex-Edaville 2' Porters
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 11:44:47 AM »
Nice!

Thanks Stephen!

Best Regards,
Glenn

Vincent "Lightning" LeRow

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 12:32:28 PM »
That loco looks really nice !  ;D !  (wouldn't mind calling it my own) Kudos to him for restoring it and doing such a good job.  :D  But aparently he has a few things to learn about track since the gauge sounds tight all through that curve!  :P
A spike saved is a spike earned.

Jim Karins

• Engine Wiper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 07:45:36 PM »
It is a really interesting video clip....  Thanks for digging it up!

Some (random) thoughts about this:
 > I can see where having a tender on such an engine would add to its 'cute-ness' factor, and appeal to the general populace, but I think that this somewhat takes away from what the engine was, and should be:  a tank engine.  It seems that, without the tank, the boiler has a 'too skinny' (or emaciated) look to it.  So, while I am glad that the engine is, in fact, still operating, for my book, I would prefer the original Porter 'tank' look....
 > Glenn's earlier suggestion comes to mind about 're-gauging' one of these to 2' ga.  Seems as though, if the WW&F could find one that is still just 'on display', buy it and re-gauge it, this could be a nice addition to the roster.  True, it would in no way be a bona-fide (historic) 'WW&F' engine, but it could possibly be listed as a (long-term) 'visitor'....  I think with the tank intact, it could be a really great little 'work train' locomotive, as it might have very good tractive effort, with the weight of the tank / water directly over the small drivers ...

Oh well, just musings...

Jim

Mike Arnold

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
    • Twin Forks NRHS
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2009, 08:33:18 PM »
I think she looks good, but that is just me, atleast it is not some gaudy "1860"'s look that I have seen before. Long Islands back yard two footer Indian Valley RY had a conversion that was really Gaudy. She let spent time at Fronteir town in upstate NY. She is now owned by Railstar.
http://steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=1693
United States Merchant Marine.
Cadet at NY Maritime College

Bill Fortier

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 11:20:41 PM »
There was a small plane crash reported today at Monmouth Executive Airport in New Jersey. What relevance does this have to narrow gauge railroads, you might ask? Well, in a Fark thread about the crash, brigid_fitch typed thusly:

This airport used to be Allaire Airport before the previous owner died a few years ago. He fixed up an old WWI tank in order to carve out the runways, built a bowling alley on the property, a driving range, and an amusement park--complete w/ferris wheel and miniature train.

He built a convention center that Bruce Springsteen used for rehearsals & a big restaurant. Allaire used to be such a weird, eclectic place. Too bad the township kept giving him such a hassle all the time--they made him close the amusement park & the convention center. Now his stepson runs it and it's just another boring airport.

This, then, would be a reference to the New Jersey Museum of Transportation's Pine Creek RR at Allaire State Park, would it not? The Google Maps image shows what appears to be a narrow gauge train amongst the standard gauge equipment at a location south of the airfield.

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 08:01:43 AM »

Bill Fortier

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 01:36:36 PM »
Try this view of the same thing...

Huh! Bing Maps no longer works for me. [insert any of several Microsoft-hate Net-isms here]

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 04:57:25 PM »

This, then, would be a reference to the New Jersey Museum of Transportation's Pine Creek RR at Allaire State Park, would it not? The Google Maps image shows what appears to be a narrow gauge train amongst the standard gauge equipment at a location south of the airfield.
Actually.....No. The New Jersey Museum of Transportation is located in Allaire State Park. The amusement ride at thr former Allaire Airport was a standard amusement park ride....not a narrow gauge railroad.
The Pine Creek has been located within Allaire State Park since the early 1960's, and it is still involved in narrow gauge preservation today

Keith

Zak LaRoza

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010, 09:29:17 AM »
Hey! We could rebuild one of those Porters into WW&F #4! They're both Porter locomotives!

Tim Hairston

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2010, 05:34:34 PM »
I was at Edaville last night and both locomotives are still on the property.
How do you insert a picture?

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2010, 06:36:07 PM »
How do you insert a picture?
See:
http://forum.wwfry.org/index.php?topic=373.0
Ed Lecuyer