Author Topic: Spring 2010 Work Weekend *pics*  (Read 11990 times)

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Spring 2010 Work Weekend *pics*
« on: April 23, 2010, 08:10:39 PM »
All, a few pictures from day one...

« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 09:14:39 PM by Stephen Hussar »

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spring 2010 Work Weekend *pics*
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 11:48:53 AM »
Really wish I could be there.  Great pics (as usual)....... Love that bead-board on the ceiling of the station.  Is it going to be painted, stained, or simply varnished?
Moxie Bootlegger

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 10:04:41 PM »
and some more from Saturday...

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 10:11:48 AM by Stephen Hussar »

Paul Horky

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 11:06:47 AM »
Steve 
   Cool shot of the # 10 and train the lighting makes it look like a painting nicework.

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 07:30:22 AM »
All, here are some photos of the interior of Alna late Saturday afternoon - we ran out of paint to finish it up.  Thanks to Zack, Frank (on Friday), JB (on Saturday) for lots of hard work.  Steve Z's nail gun made the job go as quickly as it did.

Dave Crow

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 07:36:54 AM by Dave Crow »

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 09:55:44 AM »
Dave, JB, and Zack inside Alna Center station...

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 10:35:49 AM »
more...  :)

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 11:04:29 AM »
I'm glad to see someone got at least part of the picture of Dana's new contraption for leveling track. 

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 11:49:28 AM »
That was a fantastic work weekend.  I pushed myself like I was still 20 years old and I was reminded by that body that I am just a bit older.  I enjoyed the work, friendship, discussions, food and everything else.

As for the lead truck wheel, "your welcome", but I was only a link in the chain of people who made it possible.

Bernie

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 12:30:48 PM »
     What a GREAT weekend!  And that is an understatement.  There was so much going on in every "department" and so much was accomplished! I know I didn't see it all so I can't comment on all that got done. Although I was quite physically tired by Sunday afternoon I left feeling quite energized.  The work, the food, the fun, the fellowship were all first rate. 

You never really get to know a person until you've replaced a culvert with them and to the ones who showed up to help on the Big Dig I can't say thanks enough.  I now know just how dedicated you guys are.  That was a tiring, wet, dirty job and one of the most important of the weekend.  There was a good chance that the railroad could have been shut down mid operating season had we left it and had it collapsed completely as it was close to doing.  Now we don't have to worry about that possibility and it's all because of the efforts of those who showed up on Friday to deal with an unromantic task.  Thanks.
     Then there are those of you who worked all day Saturday and half of Sunday refurbishing the track on the "Ladder".  That section has not been touched since we put it down and it needed major attention and it got it.  It looks great now and I hope some day to continue on across Albee's Field.  The tamping crew kept right on going despite a couple of minor and one potentially major mechanical failure.  Kudos to the guys who manhandled the one jitterbug and kept on tamping while we waited for the new part to be fabricated in the shop.  Thanks to the shop crew for the quick turnaround!
     The station at AC looks great inside as does the freight shed.  The painters were busy, too!  I saw the telephone crew out working at least one day.  The shop crew treated the Sunday crew to a tire installation demonstration on 11's pilot wheel and that was very interesting.  I'd read about it but never had seen it.  Thanks for waiting for us to come down form "the North" so we could see it.
     I was also pleased with the way my "Spot Board" worked when surfacing track.  I had read about them a couple of years ago and had been toying with the idea of making one with the blocks and peep sight and it wasn't until Bob Gabriel got tired of hearing me talk about it and kept giving me hints to "put up or shut up" that I finally went to work and made it.  Thanks, Bob!
     Everyone was great, the food was delicious, as usual, the music was fun, and we got a lot done.  What more could we ask for?  Oh, and thanks Bill R. for handling the weather.  Now, who wants to work on the timing of the black flies for next year?

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 12:39:17 PM »
It was indeed an outstanding weekend. I'm already looking forward to the fall!

The only improvement to Dana's spot board I can think of is a piece of dense foam to make flopping down to peer through the sight a bit less traumatic on the knees!

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 01:53:31 PM »
Bernie, Dana and Wayne put it very well.  Great weekend.  The WW&F volunteers are like a family and it's nice to be part of the tribe.  Here's a bit more on the weekends accomplishments.  The front of the shop addition is now completely painted.  The front and side walls of the machine shop are almost painted.  Engine 9's original boiler has a new coat of gloss black paint.  AC station has new sheathing inside (as noted) and the inside paint job is now done.  The Sheepscot waiting shelter bench has been painted. 

BTW, the freight shed ceiling job was made MUCH easier with Steve Z's nail gun.  Thanks Steve !! 

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 07:11:36 AM »
and a few more...

Hans Brandes

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 03:56:33 PM »
Yes, it was a great weekend with much accomplished. We will all take home our own memories of the hard work and the accomplishments. One memory that stands out from those of us on "Big Joe's" team is of our chief operator, Dave Buczkowski, sitting on a luxurious bucket seat that was all of a rusty 5 gallon can. Where else can you find an esteemed city lawyer in such a position? I wish I had a camera. Hats off to Dave and the rest of the tamper crew who spent tireless hours with plugged ears and vibrating arms. It was fun!

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 07:03:42 PM »

[\quote]

Deadeye Dana lines up for a shot at another 3 rail lengths.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...