Author Topic: Steam engine fire at MNG  (Read 15203 times)

Erik Z. Missal

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
Steam engine fire at MNG
« on: March 27, 2010, 02:09:17 PM »
I was watching the news this morning and they said there was a fire on the steam engine at MNG. Has anyone heard any more info?

Erik

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Re: Steam engine fire at MNG
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 02:21:12 PM »

Hans Brandes

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 06:57:52 PM »
It was a long day for us today. The day started at 0600 when I got a call that there was a fire in our engine house. This fire was suspicious in nature and the damage was at the end where the #7 chassis is. The fire was not enough that all the paint was melted off of the tender tank. We need to do a complete inventory and work with our insurance company.

At this time, it is too early to tell what the damage to #7 is. In addition, the side of our tool box car (B&SR 62) was charred. We were fortunate that the rebuilt SR&RL 15 combine was not damaged. The investigators will do their thing on Monday. After that we will assess what needs to be done. It was fortunate that we had a scheduled work session to repair the damage from the storm of February 26-28 and materials had already been bought. A large crew turned out and we were able to get the house roof repaired and covered over 2/3 of the house (where #4 and #8 are).

Yes, this is a setback and something that we certainly don't need, but we are resilient and will recover from this like everything else. As we said today, "We will make lemonade out of lemons."

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 08:14:44 AM »
Wow, what horrible news.

Know that our friends in Portland have our continued support.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 11:55:14 AM »
Its time for us to revisit the idea of an all-steel building for our new car barn and at least fire retardant wood for our round house.  While not W&Q or WW&F original material, our collection can't be replaced.  We do and will do a lot of hot things in wood buildings.  I don't believe that the "originalists" would fault us.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 06:03:25 PM by Ken Fleming »

Hans Brandes

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 11:22:05 AM »
Here's a picture from on top of the box car right near by...pretty graphic

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 06:36:10 AM »
After looking at that picture all I can say is "Ouch"......... 

I second the motion for "all steel construction" on future buildings, to include sprinklers and/or a Halon system.  I know, expensive......... but how do you put a price tag on equipment that is one of a kind?
Moxie Bootlegger

Bill Fortier

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 09:53:02 AM »
After looking at that picture all I can say is "Ouch"......... 

"Ouch" indeed. Was the cab in that state as a result of the fire or as part of the ongoing work?

I second the motion for "all steel construction" on future buildings, to include sprinklers and/or a Halon system.  I know, expensive......... but how do you put a price tag on equipment that is one of a kind?

Steel frame with brick or concrete block wall would work, and there are fire-resistant products available that resemble wood, so that look isn't out of the question. A sprinkler system for high-risk areas would be wise but, given the climate, would have to be a dry-pipe system. Halon? Eh, not so much, unless used for protection of stuf like paint or fuel, and that shouldn't be physically close to equipment, anyway.

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 09:58:33 AM »

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 05:12:05 PM »
I know from having a family member volunteer at MNG that the group has wanted better facilities since they moved to Portland over 15 years ago.  Two of the biggest reasons for the "temporary" engine house are cost and the lease on the property.  If MNG owned the land a steel or brick building with fire protection would have been built years ago.  There is discussion of purchasing a "portable/modular" steel building to house the locomotives and that may happen if a long term lease is signed.  Ed said it perfectly when he mentioned how we in the WW&F support MNG.  One thing each of us can do is to send a donation to help with the restoration of #7 or defray the cost of repairs to the engine house. 

There is good will between the two museums and I hope we hear later this year how this tragedy has brought about some changes and good things to Maine Narrow Gauge.   

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 09:37:04 PM »
Seeing that photo of the scorched #7 reminded me of the photos of engine house fires at Wiscasset and Phillips.  And like the original WW&F and SR&RL did after their fires I'm sure the MNGRR folks will overcome this misfortune. 
Hopefully the property owner will consider some security fencing around the site for the protection of all who use the property be it railway or boating.

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 11:42:52 PM »
Does anyone have any photos of the new look of the engine shed after the fire.
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 07:55:45 AM »
I was there in September, took all kinds of photos, but nothing of the new structure.  Silly me!

The "original" engine shed is a cheaply-built A-frame type structure, intended to be temporary but has lasted since they got there.  The new structure is a normal looking building with straight sides and a pitched roof, which replaces the burned section and ties in with the A-frame section.  There's lots of room in the new part, compared to the old!

Vincent "Lightning" LeRow

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 09:07:31 AM »
In addition to the new structure a replica car that was no longer serviceable (no couplers and junky fake trucks!) was moved adjacent on blocks to provide additional storage space and room for crew members. As an added bonus getting the car off-rail provided another cars-worth of space in our cramped yard.
A spike saved is a spike earned.