Author Topic: WW&F RPO combine - questions  (Read 9687 times)

Wolf Siedler

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
WW&F RPO combine - questions
« on: March 20, 2010, 12:00:28 PM »
I am researching this car with the hope of creating someday an accurate plan. So far, I accumulated several bits and pieces on Jackson & Sharp trolley car building practices so that this seems to be feasible if just a few hard dimensions could be discovered.

I have heard two rumours and wonder if a fellow reader could shed some light on this:

1. At the site where the RPO was finally bulldozed, there is said a partial frame to be still visible. At least until a few years ago.
Does anybody have photos and/or dimensions?

2. Supposedly one or two window frames are still existing.
Is there anybody who could provide dimensions?

Regards,
Wolf-Jobst

PS:
I am aware of the plan by John T. Derr. For several reasons, I believe it is not 100% accurate. This is no author bashing - simply an observation based on information discovered post-publishing.

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F RPO combine - questions
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 06:36:47 AM »
It has been my dream for at least four years now for the WW&F to rebuild a replica Coach #6, which was the Mail/Baggage/combine car that you are talking about. The reason for that is because somebody once talked about building a straight RPO car, to show the general public what a RPO would have looked like. So I came up with the idea of Coach 6 because it can hold around 12 passengers or so, you can put a wheel chair person with their family, and also the general public can see the mail clerks station, and what it would have looked like. The best part yet is that the car was only around 35' long, not the average 45' long coach length.

I know this isn't the information you wanted, but I look forward to seeing your plan once you have it completed. Do you know about the plans in the Two Feet to Tidewater book, and also another book as well, I forget which one, also has the plans for Coach 6 in the back of the book. Maybe this could be of some help.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 10:31:33 AM »
Joe --

I believe Wolf is looking for info about combine no. 9, which was rebuilt from excursion car no. 7 as a regular combine and only later converted to an RPO-passenger car. It was on the last train in 1933 and was demolished at Head Tide in the 1960's, I think. Stewart says a few bits of it still remain in the brush near the Head Tide station.

Tri-combine no. 6, also known as "Taconnet," was burned at Wiscasset during the great cleanup on July 4, 1951.

Hope to see you in two weeks.

Wayne

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 10:30:18 AM »
Hi Wolf,  I have been to the location where the cars were left at Headtide and here's what I can tell you.  Most of the RPO's steel frame remains.  It is down over the side of the fill for the mainline grade.  It is in fair condition with a good sized tree growing through it.  It is a long narrow rectangle made of plate steel that is about 5/8" thick.  The plate is about 10" wide.  A 4 - 5 foot section was cut out with a torch years after the car was abondoned.  The steel frame was sistered with a wooden frame that was the same width.  Some of the wood remained when I was there about 8 years ago.  I have a couple photos of the frame with the measurements written on the back but I am in the process of selling my house so my stuff is boxed up.  I'll look and let you know if find the photos. 

There is a window sash from the RPO that was rescued in the 1940's or 50's.  I'm not sure who has it but I have seen it.  It's painted boxcar red.  Maybe someone else on the forum knows where the window sash is so it can be measured. 

Wolf Siedler

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
Re: Taconnet combine
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 12:52:04 AM »
Yes, Joe, Wayne is right - I am indeed looking for information regarding the converted excursion car.

Thanks for the pointer to the HTC/JTD plans in Two Feet to Tidewater. I own that book and had even bought the plans separately before.
My plans are based on J&S plans plus various (plenty of) photos. The carpenters in those days were craftsmen and clearly not always following what was coming from the drafting board. Hence the only way to historically accurate plans is to do plenty of cross-checking.
Those plans for the short combine are actually finished already. I am unsure why they didn't make it into the Sheepscot Valley series. If you want a copy, please feel free to contact me directly at siedler.edv (at) gmx.de

Regards,
Wolf-Jobst

PS:
I like your idea of showing an RPO to visitors, even though it might not materialise within short.
A train ride through nice scenery is one side, but capturing more aspects how seemingly minor railways once were an important connection of remote communities to the outside world is another worthy task for a museum.

Wolf Siedler

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
Re: Ex-excursion car RPO combine
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 01:07:07 AM »
Stewart:

I would highly appreciate any details (measurements, photos, whatever...) you might be able to find/rediscover. My private email address remains unchanged at: siedler.edv (at) gmx.de
I have very little chance these days to come again to Maine now that the direct flight Thailand-New York has been discontinued.

Especially with regards to the window sash, which seems to be somewhat elusive... Alan Socea also told me that he had actually seen it. But was equally unsure about its present whereabouts. Please keep my interest in mind.

Thanks,
Wolf
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 01:05:19 PM by Ed Lecuyer »

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 08:19:51 AM »
It hasn't been mentioned yet so I'll throw it in. The Museum has a book for sale, Narrow Gauge in the Sheepscot Valley, Vol. VI, Passenger Cars of the WW&F Ry. Although not exact for modeling references, you may be able to get enough information from the book to get you started, and pictures enough to answer or raise even more questions.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Paul Horky

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 10:45:13 PM »
Since we are talking about saved parts somewhere I think I heard that their were some seats or seatframes saved. But if so who did it and where are they now I don't know anyone know?