Author Topic: Why weren't the 2-6-2's preseved?  (Read 38158 times)

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Why weren't the 2-6-2's preseved?
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2011, 01:55:32 PM »
Several large scale live steam models of the SR&RL 24 exist in various places around the world. I've seen videos of one in England which is about 2-1/2""=1' scale. It's extremely well done and if no people are in the scene, you'd think you're looking at the real deal! It runs on 7-1/4" gauge track which normally is used for 1-1/2" scale trains. So building one in any scale is possible, all it takes is money!

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2013, 01:05:54 AM »
I'm coming late to this thread, but the Brecon Mountain Railway in Wales has a pair of two-foot gauge Baldwin six-coupled engines (a 2-6-2 and a 4-6-2), built for export in the 1930s, that look for all the world like the SR&RL 2-6-2s. Here is a picture of their #2:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/de/Baldwin_Pacific_on_Brecon_Mountain_Railway.jpg

If you squint your eyes and ignore the European couplers (Norwegian hook type?), the extra sand dome, and the four-wheel pony truck, you might think you were looking at SR&RL #24.

Rumor has it they are preparing to build replicas of additional Baldwins (SR&RL #s 10 and 24 I've read?), but it appears they already have a replica of one of the SR&RL 556-558 series cabooses!

Dylan Lambert

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2013, 06:20:03 AM »
You're indeed correct Phil, Brecon Mountain is indeed building replicas of the SR&RL #10 and #23. I haven't heard much on the projects, but it is my understanding the project began back in 2005...

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2013, 04:17:59 PM »
Are there plans to ship them oversea's for a short term lease once they are finished? :)
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Phil Raynes

• Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2013, 11:07:45 PM »
For those interested, the Brecon Mtn Rwy has a website that has some photos of their Sandy River #23 under construction. Go to this website page:
http://www.breconmountainrailway.co.uk/no-3-locomotive
Then click on the link to see photographs, & scroll down the gallery page to the section called "Workshop". In that section there are a couple of photos of the tender under construction, and also their #3 (SR #23). Also there are stacks of parts for other locos under construction (including another "Baldwin") and other rolling stock.
Please note that there are also other photos of the Pacific elsewhere on the gallery page.
As you will see, this is a very serious operation, with every intention of building/rebuilding several Baldwin locomotives, and they have numerous stockpiles of the needed parts to do just that! They are primarily interested in the bigger Baldwin locomotives because only they are big enough to pull trains up the grade of the new section of track they have rebuilt. They cannot operate reliably on that section until they have two of the bigger locomotives. The Pacific is the first. Besides, I understand that the owner is a fan of the SR&RL!
Phil