Author Topic: WW&F No. 11 - Official Work Thread  (Read 380020 times)

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F No. 11 - Official Work Thread
« Reply #300 on: October 07, 2014, 09:10:40 PM »
Wow! That is some great work, Harold. I've seen a full-size version of the lead truck casting, and it is a pretty involved piece. Glad you were able to figure it out. I look forward to meeting you and Alan some day soon to express my appreciation of your work in person.

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 08, 2014, 06:34:32 AM »
Wow- what great fun to see that piece become reality!

Credit to Steve (Smudgy) Smith for that isometric view!

Alan reports that 35/89 patterns required for no 11 are completed or in progress- that's great!

See Ya
Jason

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 08, 2014, 12:10:22 PM »
The stuff that is coming from Texas is nothing short of stunning.

Bernie

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 08, 2014, 01:11:41 PM »
Alan and Harold and all of those working on #11,

Your work is wonderful and so important in moving this project forward. Thanks for applying your enthusiasm, dedication, and skill to this project and the railway!

I think the board may want to look into adding a teleportation device to the next long-term plan to aid in traveling between away (wherever that might be) and Maine. ;)

Steve

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 11, 2015, 07:54:57 AM »
Nearly everything Gene Roddenberry envisioned has become reality...teleportation can't be too far off  :)

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 11, 2015, 11:08:01 AM »
There's even a warp bubble theory in the works out there.  So much for transportation by rail...

Harold Downey

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 14, 2015, 10:59:27 PM »
I am going to start a short series of posts on the pattern for the rear frame extension casting.  This is the second largest pattern for the locomotive.  Overall it is 56 1/2" wide by 15" tall and 20 3/4" long.  Estimated weight of the finished steel casting is 521 lbs.

The function of this casting is to connect the forward frame to the rear frame just in front of the firebox.  If you recall for #9, it needed a similar casting when it was rebuilt. 

The first thing I did was take the CAD drawing and add machining allowance and draft.  Then I scaled it by the expected shrinkage of 1/4" per foot.   

The plan that Alan and I worked out for this casting is to break it into three parts, and to back it up with what is called a 'follow board'.    This allows the pattern to serve as its own core box (to form a core), and to be able to extract the pattern from the sand mold.    This will become more clear as the build progresses.  Just follow along and see. 

I started with the largest piece, a rectangular piece of plywood, laminated up to 1 1/64" thick, 2 degrees draft on all sides, and three 8" holes.  The holes are reinforced by a 3/4" wide ring, which also gets 2 degrees draft on both sides.

Harold Downey

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 14, 2015, 11:03:54 PM »
Then I added two thickeners on the ends,  as well as the top and bottom flanges.  These flanges are laminated up, then tapered with the appropriate draft.   I glued these on, and put in some screws from the back to make sure they stay on. 

Harold Downey

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 14, 2015, 11:14:46 PM »
I started this on Saturday, laminating up most of the material for this part of the pattern.  Today I got this far:  I added the two large wings that stick up vertically, and the small horizontal connectors between the rings around the holes.   The two large wings are glued, but also backed up by some 2 1/2" screws to reinforce the joints.  I will have to plug the holes from the screws.   Eventually all the outside corners need to be rounded over, and inside corners need fillets. 

Stay tuned, more updates to follow.

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 15, 2015, 07:53:38 AM »
We should find a few outside, relevant discussion forums to link this to.  Pattern making, industrial preservation, etc.  This project can really have wide appeal...

Thanks so much for chronicling your work, Harold!

Jason

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 15, 2015, 08:44:30 AM »
Harold,

Again, super work.  A while back Jason sent me the plans for this part and I am studying  how you are making it and how it will be pulled from the sand.  Are you going to core in the washout holes or just figure that will be drilled in after the fact?

Bernie

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 15, 2015, 08:47:06 AM »
Jason,

When we came up for the work weekend, you mentioned you were going to talk to the foundry about getting some castings made for #11.  Has anything transpired since then?

Bernie

Harold Downey

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 15, 2015, 11:34:33 AM »
Here is an image of the solid model that Alan did in Solidworks.  It gives a pretty good idea of the complexities of this casting.  There are washout holes in the corners that are at 40 degrees -- how can this be pulled from the sand if these are to be cast in? 

Harold Downey

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 15, 2015, 11:44:52 AM »
To answer Bernie's question, I will explain how we decided to make this pattern.

If you look at the picture, we are creating a split line on the pattern along the dashed line B-B, so that the sides with the washout holes are separate, and can be withdrawn from the sand at the angle of the washout holes.  Then the back portion comes out perpendicular to its plane.  That way we get all the holes without cores, and the amount of draft required is minimized. 

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 15, 2015, 05:32:11 PM »
Howard,

WOW!!!!!!!!!  I love how you solved some of the complexities of this casting.

Bernie