Author Topic: WW&F No. 11 - Official Work Thread  (Read 384143 times)

Alan Downey

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
    • Preservation Pattern
Re: WW&F No. 11 - Official Work Thread
« Reply #285 on: March 05, 2014, 10:53:08 PM »
The Winter #11 Update

Since my post in October, I had the chance to spend a few holidays at home, including a nice lengthy stay over the Christmas break. No new patterns (for #11) have been made, but each one that I had started still had a lot of finishing work to do.

One of the biggest hurdles was producing the core boxes and prints for the two journal boxes. In order to reduce the machinist workload as much as possible while maintaining good margins, I had to try out a different core box construction method. For both of the journals, the core box for the bottom half comes apart on all sides, negating the need for draft in the core box itself. Bernie's feedback regarding my ideas was indispensable- I wouldn't have been confident in attempting it without it. The cores were a bit of a brainbender to figure out how they would go together, while maintaining accuracy and repeatability but I am very happy with the results, and will be keeping this construction method in mind for future patterns.

The core box assembled:

And apart:

The lead truck journal is nearly a carbon copy in terms of pattern construction

The eccentrics have had a fair bit of work done. At last post, they had been roughed out, and were awaiting cleanup. In order to produce, I used a template and a follower along with a very long, 1/2" end mill to clean up the excess. At full extension, the end mill had a fair bit of chatter, reinforcing the reasoning behind using big end mills when you have to have a lot of extension. Too bad they won't fit in the router table! Nevertheless, it worked pretty dang well. I will also be keeping this in my back pocket in case it comes in handy for more complex interior shapes.

The eccentric, and it's template

On the router table. I only raised the end mill 3/16" per pass, but wanted to show how everything worked together.

At this point, the retaining ring rattled off, and the template guide got caught up in the end mill. It was terribly exciting. Fortunately, the template guide was the only casualty, but I had to stop at this point until a new guide could arrive.

While I wasn't able to make the three more patterns I'd hoped for #11, I did spend some time making a few new patterns for another project that's in the works. All of the other patterns received a lot of clean up work and attention. Applying the fillets takes a fair bit of time, and with everything all batched together, there were many days just spent filleting, and cleaning them up. All of the patterns (save one) are now either being finished, or are being prepped for finishing. As much as I loathe the finishing process, it's great to see things wrapping up. I had been worried that I bit off more than I could chew this year, and I think everything should come together just in time for a trip Down East this summer. I'll be glad to free up my bench space, but the car is going to be pretty full this year!

Head of Jason Bothering Department
Shop Foreman

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 06, 2014, 06:13:57 AM »
Alan,

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!  As soon as my frigid cellar gets warmer, I will continue to add to the pile.  This has been a brutal winter among other things which have slowed me down.  You are an inspiration.  We need more youth like you.

Bernie

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 06, 2014, 08:16:27 AM »
Alan,

Great work on all of those patterns!

Dave Crow

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 06, 2014, 08:56:00 AM »
Alan, I second Dave's, Great Work! And Bernie's, WOW!!!

Stephen

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 06, 2014, 09:12:18 AM »
Looks fabulous, Alan, thank you!

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 06, 2014, 10:05:51 AM »
Alan…no question about it, we need to invent some new superlatives to describe your work. Thank you so much!

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 06, 2014, 12:37:49 PM »
Fabulous work, Alan, just fabulous.

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 06, 2014, 02:41:29 PM »
A wonderful addition by a talented volunteer.
Thank you.

Ira Schreiber

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 06, 2014, 04:10:13 PM »
Hi Alan,

Those patterns are some NICE work!  Thanks for posting the photos, can't wait to see them in person.  Any idea when you may be coming to Maine?

Alan Downey

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
    • Preservation Pattern
« Reply #294 on: March 06, 2014, 08:58:38 PM »
Thank you all so much for all of the very kind, and wonderful compliments. It's an honor to be working with this museum. I can't wait to see the pile of #11 patterns grow some more!

Stewart, I'm happy to say that my father and I hope to make it back up around the end of May this year, and we're really looking forward to it.
Head of Jason Bothering Department
Shop Foreman

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 06, 2014, 09:57:36 PM »
Nice job Alan! I look forward to seeing you at Sheepscot.
Dave

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 23, 2014, 07:46:17 PM »
Just noticed that this thread has passed 40,000 views, the first one (by far) to do so.  Not bad for a locomotive that doesn't even exist yet.

Start

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 02, 2014, 03:55:24 PM »
Some inspiration from Australia:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-01/amazing-backyard-build/5642732

-Philip Marshall

Harold Downey

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 07, 2014, 08:16:19 PM »
I am nearly finished with my first pattern for #11 - the lead truck center casting.   It is pretty complex -- there are three cores, one of which is very large.   

First a sketch in isometric view of the casting as it should look when finished.

Then two views of the main pattern with the two small core boxes.  Orange in this case indicates where cores go on the pattern (called core prints), and the core boxes, which are similarly color coded.

Harold Downey

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 07, 2014, 08:16:56 PM »
Finally the nearly finished core box for the main core.  Since it is so big and complex, I tried something new:   I made a positive of the core (shown to the left of the core box), and used that to make a plaster mold.  The plaster mold is the core box.  It took nearly 50 pounds of plaster, and I had to do some repair work after making the casting to fill voids.  Then I sealed it with a few coats of polyurethane.  Finally it will get a nice shiny coat of orange as well. 

Thanks go to Alan for helping me figure out how to do this, and also all his helpful jigs and fixtures for making 2 degree draft features, and many other tricks and shortcuts.