Author Topic: WW&F No. 11 - Official Work Thread  (Read 384496 times)

Rick Sisson

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F No. 11 - Official Work Thread
« Reply #240 on: April 05, 2013, 06:42:17 PM »
Bernie - Jason and I expect to use chaplets to secure the cores in the mold. I'm working on a model where I can "pin" the cores with dowels so we can assemble the cores and mold and disassemble the same to debug the model. It's become clear that the main lightener core has to be split to get the steam and exhaust cores to nestle inside it.

Rick Sisson

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 05, 2013, 06:46:32 PM »
Alan - the 3D print is 1/16 scale and cost $14.77. The cost is determined by the amount of solid material in the parts. I had wanted a larger model, say 1/8 scale but that would cost 8 times (2 cubed) as much - $118! So I quickly settled on a 1/16 scale print.

Alan Downey

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
    • Preservation Pattern
« Reply #242 on: April 07, 2013, 11:24:23 PM »
Over the past year, I had known that SMU had the Baldwin Locomotive Works archives, including some information regarding #6 and #7. I had tried a few times to no avail to access those documents digitally until a few days ago. I'm sure many of you have already seen these, and or have been working from them. But in case there were other folks like me who hadn't seen these, I wanted to pass them along.

The two sheets appear to be the design specifications for the two engines, providing the framework to design the engine around. I had no idea the original order was for an "olive green and aluminum" paint scheme. Was that how #7 spent it's time on the line? Interesting as well, is the note on #6's tender for it to be "as short as possible"- presumably trying to fit the turntables?

It's a PDF of scanned microfiche which enlarges beautifully- but is thus quite large (447MB). #7 is on page 40, and #6 on page 41 of volume 31, which can be downloaded at this link: http://digitalcollections.smu.edu/all/extra/degolyer/rwy/BaldwinManuscripts/mss0061_02_31_opt.pdf

The other volumes of the BLW archive can be found on this page:
http://digitalcollections.smu.edu/cdm/ref/collection/rwy/id/32

Enjoy!

Rick, that's both funny and painful to hear. Too bad "economy of scale" doesn't apply in that way. I'm glad the 1/16th scaling was pretty economical for you to have produced though- it sounds like it was a real help. From my own experience doing 3D-modelling, there was no way to really be certain of everything until I could handle a prototype.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 07:30:07 AM by Alan Downey »
Head of Jason Bothering Department
Shop Foreman

Thor Windbergs

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 08, 2013, 05:41:35 AM »
Hey Guys,
I've been busy working through all the Baldwin locomotive specifications searching for Brazilian and all locomotives 2ft6in gauge and so far I have found all Baldwin Maine Two Footers and 98% of the Brazilian 60cm engines and alot of other interesting engines.

Since I don't know how to upload pdf files to this forum I have uploaded them to the files section of the Maine 2fter Modelers Forum, you have to join the Yahoo Group first but no big deal but for that you can get the 30 single files from pages for all the engines. If you find one that I missed let me know and I will dig it up. I'm getting good at that. 

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Maine-Two-Foot-Modelers-Forum/files/LocomotiveSpecifications/

Hope this says some people some work and think on the book author Rich Dunn that funded the posting of the micro fish as digital scans. It is in the spirit to volunteer information instead of hoarding it your private files until you die....

Thor
Facebook: Thor Windbergs
Volunteer G&L RR 86-88
Fireman/Engine Watchman D&S 90-94
Member Frankfurter Feldbahn Musuem, feldbahn-ffm.de
Member IFPPC (Society for Preservation of Perus Pirapora Railroad) Brazil
Member German Standard gauge Group www.eisenbahnfreunde-zollernbahn.de

Stuart Tomlinson

• Engine Wiper
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 08, 2013, 02:36:45 PM »
Fantastic work on the CAD model congratulation to all, I have a question about the Baldwin drawings link, We at Statfold in the UK have just taken delivery of 2 Baldwins from India. They are the  WW 1 4-6-0 type but they are in poor condition, the Indians have had the best out of them. Does anyone know if the drawings exist which I can see that there is a huge data base of drawings could any one point us in the right direction thanks

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 15, 2013, 06:48:39 PM »
I noticed that this thread is the first one to pass 30,000 views.  It's probably an indication of the level of interest for building #11.

Stewart

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 17, 2013, 08:08:42 AM »
I've been learning how to model number 11's cylinder/saddle casting in TurboCad using the detailed drawings developed by Jason. First, I modeled the cores:

I started this effort last fall - it took quite some time to become familiar with 3D modeling with the TurboCad software and quite a while to become comfortable with Jason's design.

I'm currently working on the outer shell molds and I am trying to get some more parts to the 3D printer soon. This is a very complicated casting and it hasn't been easy to get my arms around it, so to speak.
Rick, I'm sure I am missing soemthing. But when I look at your models it appears that the rear port on the top of the cylinder is connected to the front of the cylinder. Am I looking at it funny or does the engine have crossed ports?
Keith

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 17, 2013, 08:18:13 AM »
Keith,

I believe the picture only depicts one half of one steam chest; there would be a mirror image portion forward (farther into the page) that would be the front half of the casting.  What is shown appears to be the back half of the engineer's (right-side) casting, and I think that's why it was referred to as only one-quadrant of the entire cylinder saddle assembly.

Dave Crow

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 17, 2013, 08:24:34 AM »
Keith,

I believe the picture only depicts one half of one steam chest; there would be a mirror image portion forward (farther into the page) that would be the front half of the casting.  What is shown appears to be the back half of the engineer's (right-side) casting, and I think that's why it was referred to as only one-quadrant of the entire cylinder saddle assembly.

Dave Crow
Dave.....ah, now all is clear! I knew I was missing something vital!
Keith

Rick Sisson

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 17, 2013, 08:06:12 PM »
Hi Keith -

Dave is correct - here's a picture of the half-saddle cores:

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 17, 2013, 09:40:08 PM »
Am I correct in assuming that light green is "Steam In From Boiler (via wishbone)," blue is "Steam Into Cylinders," and red is "Exhaust Steam?"

-John

Rick Sisson

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 18, 2013, 11:25:31 AM »
You are correct John - blue is "Steam Into Cylinders" and "Steam Out Of Cylinders"

The cores are: red - exhaust, green - live steam, light blue (and underneath dark blue) - main lightener, tan - frameway, brown - cylinder bore, dark blue steam port, darker green - outer lightener. My model represents only one quadrant of the complete assembly - the left and right cylinders are identical and formed from the same molds

Eric Bolton

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 08, 2013, 12:51:21 PM »
Hey guys its been a while. I was wondering if anyone could share info on the number plate for #11. Where was it cast and what was the cost? Reason I ask is because I am currently looking into getting a plate made for a project in New Jersey I'm involved with.
Trainmaster/Designated Supervisor of Locomotive Engineers
Pennsylvania Northeastern Railroad

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 08, 2013, 01:32:47 PM »
Eric,

I had the plate cast at the Zawol Foundry in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. for Steven Hussar.  I no longer have the patterns, nor do I know if Zawol is still in business.  That could have been over 6 years or more ago.  I don't remember the cost.

Check with Wayne James in the Gettysburg Pa. area.  He has all sorts of plate patterns almost ready to go.  He can cast them in aluminum in his own foundry in his shop or have a foundry cast them in brass or bronze.  His work is super and there are a lot of his plates out there.

Bernie

Eric Bolton

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 08, 2013, 04:07:44 PM »
Thank for the reply. I sent you a PM Bernie.
Trainmaster/Designated Supervisor of Locomotive Engineers
Pennsylvania Northeastern Railroad