Author Topic: WW&F No. 11 - Official Work Thread  (Read 380003 times)

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F No. 11 - Official Work Thread
« Reply #210 on: January 30, 2013, 03:20:29 PM »
Bernie,

I have time and tools. I will have to keep in touch about making a pattern.

Duncan

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 26, 2013, 07:08:44 PM »
Has anyone thought of using a 3D Printer to make patterns?  One advantage would be making a "model" of the pattern from a scaled down drawing to see it before going full size.  3D Printers are limited in size by their work area size, however patterns are typically made from a number of parts, so not a problem.  Once a drawing is converted to 3D it can be sectioned to fit.  3D Printers are falling in price and now start a low as $500.  They produce a product from ABS or PLA plastic and can be accurate to 100 microns.  The software is freeware (for the most part) and thus could be shared between a number of "draftsmen".  Also drawings can be saved on a memory card library for reuse or sharing.  The final drawings can be e-mailed for production at a single site.  Drawings would be something to do on cold, winter nights.

Surf YouTube to see the how's  and what's of 3D Printing.  Sample http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRv4jp-hhBE
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 07:27:26 PM by Ken Fleming »

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 27, 2013, 06:13:42 AM »
Yes, we've been talking about 3D printing for quite a while now.

Stephen

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 28, 2013, 08:38:51 AM »
how about patterns for parts to make #11 (7), in HOn2, O and G scale and then sell them as "custom" units.
Moxie Bootlegger

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 12, 2013, 08:44:22 AM »
All, more beautiful patterns for No 11 from Bernie Perch...this is the Outer Bolster pattern. Thank you, Bernie!

Stephen

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 12, 2013, 01:11:01 PM »
Stephen,

Again, thanx for posting this.  I have already started the next one which should be ready to bring up for the work weekend.  Alan just finished some and the pile of patterns for #11 is accumulating.  I am looking forward to seening parts on the erection floor.

Bernie

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 12, 2013, 02:44:39 PM »
This image is from Alan Downey and shows patterns for the Pilot poling Bracket, Pillow Block Core Box, and Pillow Block. Thanks, Alan...nice work!

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 12, 2013, 03:55:09 PM »
Wow - nice patterns by Bernie and Alan.  Youz guys do beautiful work!

Stewart

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 12, 2013, 05:48:47 PM »
Nice work. I do have a question. What is the yellow for? Is it marking a location or are you making a pin for that?
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Alan Downey

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
    • Preservation Pattern
« Reply #219 on: March 12, 2013, 06:33:02 PM »
Thanks for putting the pictures up Stephen, and thank you all! I'm looking forward to bringing the patterns up to the museum this May, and getting the chance to meet and work with everyone.

Mike, the piece in the middle is a "core box". It's used to ram up the sand to form up two halves of a cylinder to create a core, which is used to create holes in the castings. I would imagine sometimes core boxes are a final dimension, but in this case, it's to aid the machinist in boring out a larger hole for the bearing in the pillow block. The painted yellow sections tell the foundry that there is to be a core placed in those locations once the halves of the mold are rammed up, and the patterns removed. The core box is painted yellow so that they know that it's a core box, and not something else. Bernie has made many more core boxes as well, including for the counterweights, he can also correct me if I've misstated anything, or not made sense!
Head of Jason Bothering Department
Shop Foreman

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 12, 2013, 08:08:18 PM »
Gentleman,

Really beautiful work.  I remember a while back when I was reading Dave Gingery's series on building a machine shop from scrap, he mentioned using auto body filler to create a fillet on castings.  I see this on your pattern Bernie and was wondering what you use.

Take care,
Steve

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 12, 2013, 10:44:48 PM »
Alan,

Your description of the coring process and how the foundry recognizes it is correct.

Stephen,

I use homemade wood quarter round for most of my fillets.  I used some plastic wood in some of the shallow and tight spots.  Chances are it wouldn't hold up if the pattern was being used continuously.  I should have also used wood in those areas.  I never thought of using auto body filler although I have used quite a bit of it when my brother had an auto body shop.  Alan uses a homemade mixture which I haven't been able to duplicate.

Also, the paper I promised to email to you about whistles during the last work weekend, I couldn't find it.

Mike,

If you wish to see more complicated cores, go to page 11 of this thread to see the one for the crank.  The axle and crank holes are marked for cores, but the core boxes are not in the photos.

Bernie

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 13, 2013, 05:47:08 AM »
I've used "Bondo' in the past on patterns at the museum....specifically for coupler pocket and headlight castings. I'm sure it's been used on many other patterns too...

Stephen

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 13, 2013, 06:27:55 PM »
Alan,
  Thanks for the excellent explanation.

Bernie,
  Short term memory, and if I was to look back, probably the same question was asked then too. Perhaps even by me.

Excellent work by both of you guys. I can't wait to the these pieces come together.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Thor Windbergs

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 14, 2013, 03:01:02 PM »
Dear Narrow Minded Gentlemen,

I am pretty interested in building or repairing 2ft gauge locomotives using modern methods and one question I wanted to pose is if there are full drawings and or 3D Cad drawings why not considering having the patterns machined out of wood or plastic for the complex shapes which are much easier on CNC machines. Surely some shop out there in east of US would be willing to donate some time if a 3D CAD model is available in a standard DXF or STEP file format?

The next idea I wanted to through out is if patterns are really only need once for one locomotive then it is not necessary that the patterns are re-usable or that they survive to collect dust on the shelf...

During my 2 years of working for BMW in 6 Cylinder engine development in Munich I watched all the technology of the current engines out of aluminum or magnesium and the cores these days are all injection molded closed cell foam where several pieces of very complex passageways for all the water and oil cooling and these are put together like a 3D jig saw puzzle, automatically and robotized assembly naturally. And these cores are then packed in sand and the molten aluminum then melts the Styrofoam into a noxious gas during poring. Theoretically just like lost wax casting.

For patterns in the size that we narrow minded people are creating we can imagine starting with big blocks of foam and cutting with hot wire, saws, filing and sanding, will make a mess but requires low-tech tools and you can use fillers, paints and puddy to fill things and create sealed smooth surfaces which would be of great advantage for surface finish in steam passages for a free breathing locomotive...

So just throwing my thoughts out, hopefully it will encourage someone to experiment. I hope to visit the No.9 & No.11 in the next years, have to wait for my 2 year old son gets alittle older before flying the 8 hrs from Germany to Maine.
Facebook: Thor Windbergs
Volunteer G&L RR 86-88
Fireman/Engine Watchman D&S 90-94
Member Frankfurter Feldbahn Musuem, feldbahn-ffm.de
Member IFPPC (Society for Preservation of Perus Pirapora Railroad) Brazil
Member German Standard gauge Group www.eisenbahnfreunde-zollernbahn.de