Author Topic: WW&F No. 11 - Official Work Thread  (Read 380021 times)

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F No. 11 - Official Work Thread
« Reply #195 on: January 15, 2013, 02:51:45 PM »
Probably 2.5 to 3 Henschels would equal (lengthwise anyway) one #11, from coupler to coupler

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 16, 2013, 06:34:22 AM »
Number 11 is a reconstruction of WW&F 7, so lolling up those specs can tell you a lot.  28 tons, 11.5 by 14 inch cylinders, 33" drivers.  We are designing and drawing based on the original Baldwin spec sheet and erecting card for WW&F 7.

See ya
Jason

Dylan Lambert

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 16, 2013, 11:23:34 AM »
So... No chance of finding one and re-purposing some parts for No. 11. Well, unless you find one that's far larger then one of the Henschel 0-4-0s that could provide some components to work with (motion parts, wheels, side rods, etc.)...

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 16, 2013, 11:35:06 AM »
So... No chance of finding one and re-purposing some parts for No. 11. Well, unless you find one that's far larger then one of the Henschel 0-4-0s that could provide some components to work with (motion parts, wheels, side rods, etc.)...
Dylan, the technology between the German Industrial locomotives (which are basically pieces of contractor's equipment similar to a bull dozer) and American mainline narrow gauge locomotives is just too great. The little German locomotives have plate frames as opposed to the much heavier American bar frames. The German locomotives have cylinders bolted to the frames, where the American locomotives use a split cylinder/smoke box saddle unit casting.
Basically to compare in modern railroad terms it would be like trying to build an EMD SD-45 by using parts from a Plymouth. :)
Keith

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 16, 2013, 02:25:57 PM »
Dylan,

In case it hasn't been mentioned fairly recently in this thread, take a look at Stephen Hussar's web site for the locomotive project:
http://www.build11.org/

I'm not sure if Stephen has updated his awesome photos of Bernie's (and others') patterns on the site or not, but most of that (recent) progress is documented on the pages of this thread.  In addition, some of us continue to provide drawings for various parts.

Dave Crow

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
« Reply #200 on: January 21, 2013, 09:23:31 PM »
Are their also plans on making a replica of WW&F #7's number plate, so when ever this locomotive is built and running in the distant future, so that we can make #11 look like #7 for historical re-enactments.
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 27, 2013, 08:21:08 AM »
All, one of the Bolster patterns for No 11 underway in Bernie's shop. Looks great, Bernie...thanks for the picture!!

SH

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 27, 2013, 09:53:10 AM »
Thanx Stephen for posting this.  Any more pattern makers out there?  We need a lot more to make and to get the #11 project moving along as soon at #9 is finished and we can all see that approaching.

Bernie

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 27, 2013, 10:38:45 AM »
Has anyone thought of enlisting local high school wood shops to make patterns of the more "simple" parts?  Maybe something that should be considered and also as a way to generate interest in the RR with a younger generation.
Moxie Bootlegger

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 27, 2013, 11:33:30 AM »
I second that idea.  Is this a dying art?

Richard

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 27, 2013, 06:23:32 PM »
I don't think most High Schools even have a wood shop anymore...

SH

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 27, 2013, 06:44:53 PM »
Stephen,

That seems to be true.  I know my high school dismantled one of two remaining tech classrooms (of the original 4 from when the schools was built) to add more space for other programs.  I worked with my asst.  principal (whose model of a Southern Ry. PS-4 on his desk attested to his interest in railways) to acquire some of the machinery from the shop for a local railway museum.  Unfortunately, it did not work out.
While substitute teaching, I was witness to some absolutely scandalous things in tech classrooms.  One day while subbing, we went through and identified the name and purpose of the different parts of the internal combustion cutaway they had in their room.  They described it as "the most fun the ever had in tech" and were mystified as to why a music teacher knew stuff about a car engine.

Steve

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 29, 2013, 09:56:58 AM »
While I've never made patterns such as Bernie is quite skilled at, I am a fairly skilled woodworker and would be willing to help produce a pattern or patterns for this project. When next a pattern is needed, feel free to contact me and advise what I can do to help.

Duncan

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 29, 2013, 12:47:13 PM »
Duncan,

The drawing in the photo of my patterns was made by Rick Sisson and has compensated for shrinkage and machining.  All you have to do is follow the exact dimentions and you will have the perfect pattern.  If you start one and have any questions, just email me.  I don't know exactly what Rick is working on now, but his work make ours much easier.  Talk to Jason about what he wants next.  Actually the one in the photo would have been a perfect beginners project.

Bernie

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
« Reply #209 on: January 29, 2013, 01:54:58 PM »
Has anyone thought of enlisting local high school wood shops to make patterns of the more "simple" parts?
I could had done that 2 years ago while I was still in high school because I my school did had a wood shop and I was in that class for 2 years and I could had easily done you guys a favor but that was two years ago and my Grandpa's wood shop does not have the correct tools to make parts you need.  :o :( :-\
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.