Author Topic: WW&F No. 11 - Official Work Thread  (Read 384374 times)

Win Nowell

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F No. 11 - Official Work Thread
« Reply #150 on: January 18, 2012, 03:39:50 PM »
James Patten

James if you would like to put me in touch with Bernie  or whomever - I would like to volunteer to do some pattern work as Bernie requested.

Win Nowell

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 18, 2012, 05:42:00 PM »
Win, I've sent you Bernie's email - but you should also be in contact with Jason Lamontagne, as he is Master of Ceremonies for this project.

Alan Downey

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
    • Preservation Pattern
« Reply #152 on: January 18, 2012, 06:29:08 PM »
The work that you guys have been doing on #11 and #9 is really incredible. The WW&F has stuck in my mind since my short visit in July of 2009, and I've been reading the forums on and off since then, being quite inspired by you guys the whole time. I live in Texas, making the trip to come and volunteer on-site a bit difficult, but as a woodworker, I would love to try and learn how to make patterns to contribute how I can, or anything else possible with the distance for that matter. I know I'm new around here, but how can I help?
-Alan
Head of Jason Bothering Department
Shop Foreman

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 18, 2012, 07:50:58 PM »
Alan,
First, please join the Museum as a member, if you aren't already one!  Financial support is just as important as volunteer support.
Second, reach out to Bernie and Jason (you can send them a message via the Members link on the toolbar at the top of the page).

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 11, 2012, 07:33:26 PM »
I'd hate to say it, but I don't see the museum being ready to really start working on #11 till 2015 at the earliest. I'd rather see the money be used for extending the railroad, either main lines, or yard tracks, and maintain what we currently have track wise and  locomotive wise, including the #10, and soon to be #9, build the bathrooms, etc. To build such an engine will cost, I'm going to guess $500,000. Shouldn't that kind of money be used to make the museum better? Granted a new steam engine, especially a 2-4-4 would be amazing, but shouldn't we focus on our current goals?

Although, the rate that things have been going on working on #11 now in my mind is great, because then when the railroad is ready, we will be that much further ahead.

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 11, 2012, 09:34:20 PM »
I am wondering if Joe's post is just his opinion or does it represent a general attitude of others concerning the #11 project?  I know that what he said is reality and the cost of this project is really mind boggling.  Jason seems very positive about it and has been keeping us in plans, and I am nearly finished with the crank patterns and all their attendant core boxes.  Two others have stepped into the pattern making phase of this project and I hope we are not wasting our time.  I am planning to purchase the wood to make the pattern for the casting between the the front and rear frames.  I would like to know the opinions of those in power whether or not I should take on this pattern.  Are there people up there who would just like to see the project disappear as too expensive and too impractical?

My goal in going ahead with the patterns was to get the project from the drawing phase to a physical phase.  Will it instead proove that this is not the way to go?  I am 66 years olde and if this project is not going to start before 2015, I can spend my hobby time elsewhere.

Up until now my posts concerning this project have been very upbeat, but Joe's post has sent me thinking otherwise.

Bernie

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 12, 2012, 05:23:22 AM »
Bernie, I meant nothing bad by what I said, and by all means, I am really glad that you have taken the time, and the effort to work on #11. And I am not a member of the board either, so nothing I say should be taken so, absolute. I only gave 2015 as a rough figure in my mind. That gives the museum time to raise money for it, etc. But like I also said, the projects you have been working on from the start a few years ago, will make the project progress that much more quickly when it does happen. Sorry to have seemed so negative towards the project, because I am a huge supporter of seeing a #11 for many reasons.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 12, 2012, 06:21:36 AM »
Speaking as a board member - the board has not changed its mind regarding #11.  This is a long term project and will take a while to complete.  While it may take $500K to finish building the engine, we don't have to have all money in hand to start.  We didn't with #9.  And like everything we do, we'll run the #11 project simultaneously with other projects.  

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 12, 2012, 09:53:56 AM »
Since it was my idea to have folks send a donation of 11% of their 2011 income tax refund as a special "set-aside" for the #11 project, I fully intend to do just that as soon as my tax refund appears in my bank account.  Various people put down the idea from the moment it left my computer keyboard, saying it would take money away from other ongoing projects.  That was not the idea.  The idea was to raise some totally new funding for a special project in an imaginative way. You know, thinking outside of the box.

If anyone would like to follow my lead with a similar donation to the #11 fund, I would encourage them to do so. I will continue to make my regular donations to the annual appeal, so the other projects will not be "short changed" by my specific funding of the #11 project.  I suspect others will do the same.

Richard Symmes

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #159 on: March 12, 2012, 10:36:45 AM »
Hi all,

(Me speaking personally as I am not a BOD member, nor a member of the steam crew.)

I don't think anyone (BOD included) is trying to discourage volunteers to step forward with their donations of time or funds toward the construction of #11. I think we all agree that #11 is a long-term project, and it will be many years before a fire is lit in her belly.

Now, if someone came forward with a check for $500,000 specifically for #11, I don't think the BOD would put that aside either.

Honestly, I think the current approach is correct. Work slowly, but steadily on #11, in conjunction with the other important projects (rest rooms, ROW extension, parking, turntable, car storage, etc.) If we all do our part, we'll see #11 under steam soon enough.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 12, 2012, 02:41:07 PM »
Bernie, thank you for keeping the No 11 project moving forward!!!

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 12, 2012, 02:49:22 PM »
Gee....those look like Lehigh Valley RR tracks in the background.....

Keith

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 12, 2012, 04:21:40 PM »
How much did the counter weights weigh? Those look great. Can't wait to see the actual castings.

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 12, 2012, 04:58:32 PM »
I guess we have to stir up this #11 pot every once in a while even though it is on the back burner.  Getting it done is going to be a big challenge, but I plan to truge along making more patterns.  The slowness of the pace can be helpful because then we are not rushed to get any of the patterns and parts done quickly.  I am still adjusting my mind as to what "back burner" really means to the whole project.  Whenever I get a pattern done, I like to see castings made and of course, this isn't going to happen for a while.  I have to develop more patience with the pace of the project and once in a while my emotions and impatience will show.  The next pattern will be the large casting between the front and rear frames.  Since the pace is slow, I probably won't have it finished until next April unless the pace picks up for some reason.  Two others have volunteered to join the pattern making and they are free to respond to all this discussion too.  I just want to see this locomotive run while I am still alive.

No, I did not enter this discussion to get my picture in the forum again.  It does add scale to the size of the cranks and they are quite large.  They will come up for the April Work Weekend.  The smaller core boxes for the pins and axles are almost done.  I will then take a break for other projects.

Mike, I have been following your Rowmow project with great interest if without comment until this time.  I love seeing someone take a lot of "stuff" and make something useful out of it.  The railroad needs more mechanical maintenance items even if the original WW&F did not have them.  Have you thought of what your next project will be?

Keith, that is the olde Lehigh Valley RR in the background.  The eastbound main and team track are both gone, and way in the background the olde CNJ yard and main line have been replaced with a shopping center and parking lot for the Lehigh Gorge State Park and trail.  I deliberately took the photo there.  The tracks are adjacent to my property and I am serinaded by trains day and night.  The CP and NS keep things humming and the R&N sends a local through.  I was told by a railfan that if he lived there he would set up a camera with an electric eye.  In reality I like watching and listening but have taken few photos.  Once in a while R&N 425 pulls a steam powered excursion through.

Bernie

Robert Hale

• Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 12, 2012, 06:29:14 PM »
I have a thought Bernie: Would it be possible on one of the larger events that the museum holds to have a small "casting pour" demo? I think it could tie in what is being done to make the parts for #11 on a smaller scale and educate people on how the process is done. For myself I would love to learn how to draw, engineer and make patterns and molds.