Author Topic: WW&F No. 11 - Official Work Thread  (Read 171250 times)

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: Locomotive #11 - Official Work Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 10:17:44 PM »
Wow (!) I guess that answers that question.  ;)

That still-shot from the old movie sure makes it easier to see of what you speak.

Now, to figure out how sand domes were formed on BIGGER locomotives...
(but that may yet be a question for annother forum.  ;) )

Paul Horky

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2008, 03:59:34 PM »
I don't Know where you saw domes made up with rings fitted over a tube. Most domes I've seen were made up of castings top and bottom with a rolled tube center this is for both fluted and rounded domes these are mostly for looks.The actual steam dome that is part of the boiler is as mention a formed bottom and top ring with a cap eighter riveted or welded to a rolled tube then mounted to the boiler shell by riveting or welding.

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 11:49:31 PM »
Matt...

..that IS the idea! The 11 is to be a copy of the original 7 built up virtualy from scratch.

Who, exactly, is planing to build a replica of SR&RL 24? I know there's one version built in the UK from a previosly existing engine, and possibly annother built up almost from scratch. I belive one is on the Brecon Mountain line, not sure though.
Scroll down to the "Other Two Footers" topics and search there, or look up the older version of this forum (now archived in a "read only" status.)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2008, 11:59:19 PM »
I know one place that would love to have one. Check this out.
http://www.frolin.net/mmgs/srcl/
http://www.srclry.com/
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Eric Bolton

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2008, 06:14:00 AM »
No one is building the 24 to my knowledge. BMR is building a replica of SR&RL #10 and SR&RL #23. Matt my drawings are not blue prints. They are just what the locomotive is going to look like. Baldwin destroyed most of the drawings for the #7 (#11 is going to be an exact replica of the #7 but the new locomotive will continue the original numbering pattern) therefore a few members of the museum (myself included) have been working on "reengineering" the 7's blueprints based on the information we have. Lots to do before this project comes off the back burner. Also Matt please do us all a favor and try and put all your replies in one post not five seperate posts.
Trainmaster/Designated Supervisor of Locomotive Engineers
Pennsylvania Northeastern Railroad

Eric Bolton

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2008, 04:05:56 AM »
The 10 and 23 are being built in England not the US. You can find the blue prints easy. They were printed in a book at some point in time. Also I'm sure the WW&F wouldnt be interested in building the 23 being its a SR&RL locomotive. Also again with the multiple posts.
Trainmaster/Designated Supervisor of Locomotive Engineers
Pennsylvania Northeastern Railroad

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2008, 03:30:33 PM »
Lots of incredible stuff going on "over there." I'm posting this absolutely gorgeous picture of Tornado, as it pertains to our building of reproductions, replicas, etc.,
with permission from photographer John Bowler. Thank you, John!

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2008, 05:07:01 PM »
A website address on a steam locomotive's tender looks...very different.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2008, 05:09:28 PM »
I understand that the web address will be removed when the final paint is put on the locomotive. It is going to be painted in an authentic livery.

Now, how would Jason feel if we put "www.wwfry.org" on the tender of #9!!
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2008, 06:19:45 AM »
When will the #11 Reconstruction project will fully start? ??? :)
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2008, 12:42:57 PM »
There's no "re"construction about it - this is a brand new engine, from brand new parts.

We have many other higher priority projects right now (bathrooms, etc etc), and we won't need a new loco for a while.  It will be a number of years before the project kicks into high gear.

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2008, 03:08:41 PM »
Matthew,

A considerable amount of "quiet background work" has been done on this locomotive and continues up to this point.  I have seen a number of posts involving people who do a lot of wishful thinking about new or reconstructed locomotives who don't have a clue as to the amount of work it takes to build a locomotive from scratch.  A considerable amount of engineering work and drawings have been made by Jason and others.  Wayne and myself have spent many hours just discussing the cylinder castings with Jason and visiting a commercial foundry and another pattern maker who is more capable that myself to do this job.

Recently I saw photos of failed casting projects which were heartbreaking.  This is why we are investigating getting this done commercially.  Who takes the hit when a $75,000 casting fails to pour properly?

I have built several foundry patterns for this locomotive and have started the drive wheel patterns.  Since I am involved in a local locomotive restoration project (CNJ 113), my WW&F stuff takes a back seat to this one and subsequently takes longer to get done.

Matthew, what you should do is start learning about patternmaking (there are many books available on the subject), and make one of the simple patterns for this project to see how much work is involved with each part.  We will need more people to do this, especially young guys like yourself who will be carrying on this preservation stuff when we can't do it anymore.

One more thing I would like to mention is costs.  The costs and tack ons at a commercial foundry will knock your socks off.  I got sticker shock when I got the final vouchers for the bell bracket castings.  The castings cost Wayne and myself just under $800.  I have since learned the name of a smaller, cheaper foundry, but when getting some of the big castings done, we will have to go commercial because of the amount of metal being poured and just for the sheer experience of those who do this every day.  Not all the work can be done by volunteers.

I have much more to say about this but I have to run.

Bernie

Vincent "Lightning" LeRow

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2008, 03:40:59 PM »
hey bernie, need any help with those drawings?  I just finished my CAD class and we spent over two months on drafting.  I've got an E sized board and would be willing to put some of my spare time into this. (that is, while i'm not railhunting  ;) )
A spike saved is a spike earned.

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2008, 09:25:42 PM »
Vince,

As mentioned in the post above, Jason is doing the engineering and drawings--talk to him.  I make the patterns from his drawings.

Bernie

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2008, 02:16:08 AM »
And what beautiful patterns they turn out to be.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...