Author Topic: Spring 2010 Work Weekend  (Read 16137 times)

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
Spring 2010 Work Weekend
« on: February 27, 2010, 10:28:50 AM »
Here is some information about projects for the Spring Work Party.  Track work is at the top of the list and I know Dana will post his plans as the date gets closer.   Other projects for April 23rd - 25th include painting the exterior of the shop building, (weather permitting) and carpentry.  For the carpentry part, the museum has recently gotten wood sheathing to complete the Sheepscot freight house ceiling and the interior walls of Alna Center station.  Zack has been working in the freight house and may have the part over the gift shop done, we can finish the job.  Both buildings will be in use that weekend but I think we can work as to not be in each others way.  If we get the sheathing done in AC station the inside can be painted.  Once the paint drys the heat shields can be installed and stove hooked up.  Josh R. will be installing 1910 era post and tube electrical wiring once the interior walls are complete.  

As usual, there will be lots of stuff happening so get you hall pass and come on up to Sheepscot in April.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Stewart
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 06:33:55 AM by Stewart Rhine »

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Spring 2010 Work Weekend
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 08:52:02 PM »
Stewart, allow me to interject a comment here.  Sue Longo is trying to contact you about the work weekend.  Please contact her be email.  She said she cannot contact you on the address she has for you at this time.
Duncan

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 08:43:50 AM »
Thanks Duncan,  Cindy emailed Sue.  Sue is planning the menu for the work weekend.  Another reason to come to Sheepscot next month - three days of great chow!

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 10:40:29 AM »
I hope to do a test project for turning our coal dust and fines into usable coal bricks.  I'll bring gloves, molds, some saw dust, measures, mortar hoe and a small mortar box.  I'll need someone at Alna to pick up a bag of Portland Cement.  A small cement or mortar mixer would be helpful, but not necessary to see if it a practical thing to do.  We'll need some place to place the bricks while they dry.  Once the bricks have dried, they could be stacked neatly in the area we keep our full coal buckets.   

Simple formula: 6 measures of coal dust, one measure of saw dust (optional) and a 1/4 measure of cement.  Mix then add water to make crumbly mixture and mold.  The size of the "measure" will be determined by the method used to mix a batch.

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 12:20:20 PM »
We have a cement mixer that I brought over a few years back. Zack put another motor on it as my old motor broke. It's in the large tank we didn't use as a water tank. It keeps it dry.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 02:30:24 PM »
Fred,  Would you bring your staging to the railroad next month?  It would help with painting the front of the shop building.

Thanks,  Stewart   

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 03:22:43 PM »
O.K. Fred

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 11:19:12 AM »
Stewart,
I'm glad Cindy was able to contact Sue. You are correct about the 3 days of great chow. Barb and I have been in contact with Sue also and she does have some great menu items for the work weekend.
Duncan

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 09:34:20 AM »
A bit more on the Spring Work Party. 

Paint crew -
As mentioned before, painting will start on the front of the shop.  Once that is done we will move around to the west side and work down along the machine shop walls.

Carpentry crew -
The first job at Alna Center will be installing new insulation in the station.  Once that is done the sheathing will be nailed in and the interior can be painted. More details are on the previous post. The Sheepscot freight house job is a bit easier since we will be installing sheathing over the existing sheetrock between the joists.  Another part of the job is to complete the window frames for the two front windows.     

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 10:10:35 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I've had a very busy winter and have not had time for posting but I want to add the track work plan for the Work Weekend to this thread.  There won't be any track laying in April but we have other important work to do.  First, we need to replace a collapsing culvert just south of the south switch at Alna Center.  We also have a LOT of maintenance work to do on the mainline, especially between Hall's Sheepscot Mills crossing and Trask Crossing and from Alna Center to Albee's crossing.  We'll be waking Big Joe from his winter slumbers and we'll surface and line as much of the mainline in the aforementioned stretches as possible.  I want to get the line in good shape for the summer running season.  I expect that we will be laying track in the yard in the fall.  Hope we get a good turn out.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 11:31:45 AM by James Patten »

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 07:52:35 AM »
Hi all,

I have been in contact with Sue Longo regarding the spring work weekend.  She asked me to post the currently planned menu for Friday and Saturday. 

So far she has planned a corned beef meal on Friday evening with a chicken meal for those who prefer to avoid beef plus the usual desserts. 

Saturday will be the usual lunch of various homemade soups: corn chowder, corned beef, etc. and various sandwiches, chips, cookies, fruit, etc. 
Dinner on Saturday will consist of spaghetti, sauce, salad, rolls, etc. and the usual dessert items such as chocolate cake, cookies, etc.

As an added touch on Saturday evening we will have entertainment provided by some folks known as "the Roberts" who perform at an Irish pub in Bath. 

We hope you all can make it to the museum to join in the fun.

Duncan

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 04:45:11 PM »
By the way, I have been asked by at least one potential participant if we might serve the spaghetti without sauce.  I can see no reason why not.  I'm sure there are more than a few folks who, like someone near and dear to me, like their spaghetti only with butter and no sauce.  I will speak with Sue about it and I'm sure she will be more than happy to oblige and keep some aside without sauce.
Duncan

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 07:26:29 AM »
I'll add to what Duncan said about the musical group "The Roberts".   The band does old time "tin pan alley" music of the type that was around when the original WW&F was running.    We'll have a good time listening to and singing along.  It will be the perfect time to relax and enjoy some good music with your narrow gauge friends ... so plan to stick around because Saturday evening will be a great time at the railroad.

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 09:48:23 AM »
Okay, I think I've got the spaghetti thing right...I think...this time.  Sue tells me that she serves it moistened with olive oil and the meatballs, pesto, etc. is a la carte and up to the individual who will eat it.  So it looks like it will fit with anyone's personal preferences. 
As an add to Stewart's post, I too encourage everyone to spend some downtime after the Saturday work day.  Eat a great meal and listen to some nice music with a bunch of great folks who obviously share your love of narrowgauge railroading.  How good is that?!
Duncan

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 11:20:10 AM »
Duncan;
I'm concerned about this obsession you have with food...
Dave