Author Topic: Model T rail car  (Read 5324 times)

Mike the Choochoo Nix

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
Model T rail car
« on: February 21, 2010, 05:53:22 PM »
I received an email with a link to this picture of a standard gauge Model T based rail car, and I thought some of you might enjoy it. Talk about nails and bailing wire! It would make quite a model.
http://www.godfatherrails.com/photos/pv.asp?pid=24

Mike Nix
Mike Nix

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Model T rail car
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 09:42:48 AM »
That's got to be the roughest looking Model T railcar I've seen.  Looks like it would leave a trail of parts as it scooted along ...   Ya gotta love the critters that some narrow gauge and shortline railroads made from old cars and trucks.  Fortunately the WW&F's new Model T will be a lot nicer.   

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 09:16:21 PM »
A lot of the railcars were worn out when they were made. That would fit right in with us. Looks like it's been used by the track crew a few times too many though.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Eric Bolton

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 10:20:16 PM »
That is the Union Transportation Company. The photo was taken in their yard at New Egypt, NJ. The UTCo is said to have operated the last steam locomotive in revenue service in the state of New Jersey. I have no information on the car itself.
Trainmaster/Designated Supervisor of Locomotive Engineers
Pennsylvania Northeastern Railroad

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 09:54:39 AM »
The Union Transportation Co. was a "farmer's railroad" about 14 miles long serving several feed mills and similar facilities in central New Jersey. It also served Fort Dix. It leased a locomotive and caboose from the mighty Pennsylvania Railroad, and until mid-1959, operated a B-6sb 0-6-0 no. 5244. When 5244 was returned to the Pennsy, it was the last PRR steam locomotive to operate, about 18 months after the rest of the Pennsy's steamers were retired. The line finally closed in 1976 with the start of Conrail. It was using the PRR's last GE 44-tonner by that time.

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 12:02:07 PM »
Wayne,
I believe the UT was owned, at least in part, by the Pennsylvania RR.
Back in the early 1970's, the remains of the Model T speeder was still rusting away at New Egypt, NJ. The U.T. turntable is now at the Pine Creek RR at Allaire State Park in Farmingdale, NJ.
Keith

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 02:57:21 PM »
I think you're correct, Keith. I believe there was one of those crazy 999 year leases. The UT was like the Strasburg, East Berlin and Stewartstown railroads here in Pa. All existed essentially to serve agriculture and small manufacturing concerns. The ones here in Pa. got rid of their steam power early on, using small Plymouth gasoline locos to help them break even. I've seen photos of early UT steam power, mostly old 4-4-0's, but around 1950 they started simply leasing a series of B-6's from the Pennsy and sending them back as they used them up. Rumor was they were holding another one for the UT when 5244 came due for overhaul, but the 44-tonner was offered instead. I'd love to know how the locomotive lease was structured.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 07:03:29 PM »
Yes indeed that is the U.T. and is in fact New Egypt, NJ.  The "yard" per se was really no more than 2 leads, turntable, and engine shed.  Up until the late 60's did the line go to New Egypt.  In the 70's it was cut back to Ft. Dix.  Last service to Ft. Dix was in 1981 when the line was cut back to the present end of line in Mt. Holly.  Brings back memories as I used to live a block from the old New Egypt yard and I was the last "official" military yardmaster at Ft. Dix when I was stationed there.  FYI - the old engine shed still exists last I checked, as a storage building.
Moxie Bootlegger