Author Topic: A remakable 750mm rack railway in Greece  (Read 2419 times)

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
A remakable 750mm rack railway in Greece
« on: January 12, 2010, 04:52:43 AM »
Hi Guys,

This attached link is part 1 of a 6 part YouTube video showing a round trip on the Odontotos rack railway that runs between Diakoptos and Kalavrita in Greece.  The line  is 750mm gauge and still has 5 of its original steam locomotives, although only one of them is currently operable.  The train shown is one of the line's new diesel railcar sets.  But if you watch all the videos you'll count all 5 of the steamers including the operable one in Kalavrita.  Other YouTube videos show the steamer in action.

This railway is remarkable!  I lost count of the number of tunnels, bridges, and overhanging rocks.   If you don't have time to watch the whole thing, I recommend videos 4, 5, and 6 in the set, which chronicles much of the return trip, downhill from Kalavrita through the gorge.

But if you can, watch the whole series.  I think you'll be amazed and you'll pick up a little Greek and some Italian (via the subtitles) along the way.

The link to part one is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUTr9TxQk4U&translated=1

Enjoy!
Glenn

Bill Fortier

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
Re: A remakable 750mm rack railway in Greece
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 01:26:25 PM »
The modern equipment wouldn't look out of place on an LRT line. The vintage stuff would look fine in Maine. Cool.

Think they could spare some of that rail visible in Part 2 at 1:19?

Now for the cartoons:

1) Holy Spaz-Cam, Batman!

2) Shut that bloody bouzouki up!

3) Nice rack.