Author Topic: FS&K 2009 *PICS*  (Read 24907 times)

Glenn Byron

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
Re: FS&K 2009 *PICS*
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2010, 02:52:33 PM »
Hi all,  Here is a copy of an Allan Socea email giving us the exact wording from The Railroad Commissioners Report regarding this trestle:  Glenn
According the the Maine Railroad Commission the first two FS&K Crossing in
Farmington were as follows.
#1 A way in Farmington leading from Main Street to West Farmington, and
known as Bridge Street.

Bridge Street; The railroad shall pass over Bridge Street and shall be
constructed so as to give a passageway for horses, teams and carriages
having a clear width of at least thirty (30) feet and a clear way for
travelers on foot, at least eight ( 8 ) feet wide and a clear head room of not
less than fourteen (14) feet.

#2 A way in Farmington leading from Farmington center Village to Farmington
Falls, known as main Street being Southerly of and near the "Little Blue"

Main Street; The Railroad shall pass over Maine Street and shall be so
constructed as to give a way of travel having a clear height or head room of
at least fourteen (14) feet and a clear width not less than thirty (30)
feet.  Allan

Just to clarify,  Bridge Street today is known as Main Street or Intervale Rd. and Main St. or Lower Main St. is called Prescott St.  Glenn
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 08:46:54 PM by Glenn Byron »

Glenn Byron

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2010, 03:18:31 PM »
Update:  With the dimensions given in the Allan Socea email from The Railroad Commissioners Report to go by, let's change the overhead height on the small trestle photo to 14 feet, the width of the opening to about 45 feet, and the total length shown as about 70 feet.  Now, some big news! I've found the answer to the Front Street question as relating to this trestle crossing it or not as discussed previously on this Forum.  Go to Ed Lecuyer's Topo map site  posted 12/03/09 on The FS&K Railbed Fall 1897 topic and bring up Farmington Quadrangle, 1924 Edition.  Front Street, from the intersection of Intervale Road to Depot Street, did not exist when this map was made.  That means the portion we see today from The Farmer's Union to Gifford's Ice Cream was not there in FS&K days, so Front Street was not an issue.  Let's think a little about that great construction photo Mike Fox put on here provided by Allan Socea.  Which end of the 1000 foot trestle is shown?  A clue we might be able to go by is the fairly low embankment shown on the left side and that house shown up top.  The Topo Map shows one contour line (Contour Interval = 20 Feet) from the valley floor of the Sandy River to the MCRR Yard.  A look at that steep embankment from the UMF Parking Lot and the adjacent athletic field shows two contour lines, which makes that climb more than 20 feet but less than 40 feet. It seems to me that as I look at the picture, the trestle is rising to the right or eastbound. I think the house on the hill may be on the left side of Main Street as you go up Abbott Hill into downtown Farmington. Seems like the west end is shown. At least we know it was taken while leaves were still on, and probably late summer 1898.  My research at UMF Library ends thus far in May 1898, so I'm hoping my next visit will get me to the building of this trestle.

Glenn Byron

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2010, 02:38:41 PM »
Hi All,  Our guide to all the great pictures and stories along the FS&K Railway route, Burchard Cook, died suddenly last Saturday.  While we grieve along with his family, we relish the memories he was allowed time to share with us, and cherish especially the day last December we shared Burchard's companionship for a peek back in time.  Our knowledge of this failed, nearly forgotten venture expanded greatly because of his generosity.  Thank You, Burchard Cook, RIP.            Glenn  Byron, Smithfield, ME.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2010, 06:15:12 PM »

From Glenn
  " Hi All, I'm trying something new, attaching a picture. Let's see what happens.  Allan Socea found this great second picture of the 1000 foot FS&K Trestle under construction in Farmington. I went into UMF Library digging for the exact dates of construction.  Farmington Chronicle 7/28/1898:  ---and it is expected another crew will begin next Monday (8/1/1898 gb) to build the trestle which extends from near Fewacres across Bridge and Main Streets to the hill at the rear of Frank Grounder's house. On 10/20/1898 we find another Farmington Chronicle entry: ---The work on the long trestle near Little Blue is nearly completed and work on the High Street Bridge is begun.  I'm quite sure we are looking eastbound on the trestle and, at least on the original, there is a girl about halfway across.  Some of the upright supports are not installed yet, but the leaves are still clearly on the trees.  My digging in the library uncovered lots of grumbling by local landowners while this construction was going on, and a court case started.  Alongside the land damage case, labor unrest among the workers is starting to rear it's ugly head.  All is not well on the FS&K in the fall of 1898.  Stay tuned.  Glenn"
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 06:38:20 PM by Mike Fox »
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Tom Casper

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
    • Sandy Ridge & Clear Lake Ry.
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2010, 02:47:34 AM »
Mike,  you need to make it bigger.

Tom C.
Later:
tom_srclry_com

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2010, 06:38:40 PM »
All better now.
Mike

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2010, 07:09:09 PM »
Wow! Very impressive!

-John

Eric Larsen

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2010, 02:22:38 AM »
I’m surprised that John did not enviously mention the presence of the telegraph poles.

Tom Casper

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
    • Sandy Ridge & Clear Lake Ry.
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2010, 03:32:34 AM »
Thanks Mike.  can you make it one size larger?

Tom C.
Later:
tom_srclry_com

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2010, 04:33:39 AM »
I’m surprised that John did not enviously mention the presence of the telegraph poles.
I don't think I'm too envious of that one on the far right! :)

Eric Larsen

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2010, 02:49:43 PM »
I wunder how far the tellegraph line went along the ROW?  It is a bit funny that it was built but the RR was not.  (Although some say the rails were set down in some locations)  Perhaps some the lines on the poles were rented out or maybe they were all RR? 

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2010, 02:41:24 PM »
Here is another photo passed along by Glenn.

Mike

Eric Larsen

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2010, 03:39:06 PM »
It will be interesting to see if anyone can find out how long this bridge survived.  Was it taken down as soon as the FS&K project died (whenever that was) or did it just become a local eyesore for years to come.

Glenn Byron

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2010, 04:24:46 PM »
All such answers are to be found at UMF Library in The Farmington Chronicle microflms.  Thus far I am at the end of 1898 in my research. I have news articles copied from The Farmington Historical Society files that show activity still going on early fall 1900, though not much in a positive direction. We need more healthy, interested eyes scanning those hard to read pages. I'm betting Little Blue School owners were more than willing to help dismantle that "eyesore" in their front yard.  After working over the trestle photo above, I'm getting more convinced that this is Bridge Street as we see the two passageways described in the Maine Railroad Commissioners description previously shown in this Forum, one wide for regular traffic and the one to the right for foot travelers.  I am also pretty well convinced that the Butlers who said that is Little Blue in the background are mistaken.  I just found a picture of Little Blue that also shows the next house up Abbott Hill and that house is what is shown.  I'm thinking Little Blue is further to the right along the 1000 foot trestle and not shown.  Fewacres as used in The Farmington Chronicle is really two words, Few Acres, and is the home of Mr. Abbott, the headmaster of Little Blue.  It was located on the left side of Abbott Hill just past the intersection of Bridge  and Main Streets.  Few Acres roof is clearly shown above the trestle in the Allan Socea side view photo. I'm told there is a plaque in the MD Building yard located where this house stood.  Search "Few Acres Farmington Maine"  on Ebay for postcards showing this house, along with several views of Little Blue.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 04:36:25 PM by Glenn Byron »

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2010, 08:38:16 PM »
Glenn,
If one looks closely to the left of the larger passageway there does appear to be a smaller passageway like the one to the right side.  Perhaps there were two passageways for foot traffic? 
Duncan