Author Topic: Are Steam Engines #7 & #8 and All of the Frieght Cars can be Restored?  (Read 10510 times)

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
I miss Seeing Steam Engine #7 runing on steam! Plus are those frieght cars going to be restored to Operating condition or not? I want to see all of the Frieght Cars Restored and runing again with #7!  :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 07:53:14 AM by Ed Lecuyer »
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: Are Steam Engines #7 & #8 and All of the Frieght Cars can be Restored?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 10:28:36 PM »
Ok Matt, again, there'res this thing the Navy harps on all the time called "Attention to detail." You are asking questions on the WW&F Forum in the Sandy River RR Park catagory/topic about locomotives that are currently at the MNGRR in Portland!
Now, that being said, there IS a catagory for discussion of MNGRR activities.
If you take the time to look it over and read all the threads I'm sure you will be quite capable of answering your own questions.
However,
#7 is currently undergoing restoration to operation. The details of which are cataloged in the MNGRR topic on this forum as well as MNGRR's OWN forum and the MNGRR website under "News."
AFAIK, #8 is concidered a candidate for restoration in the future, but not until the work on #7 has been completed.
As for the passenger/freight car "fleet" at MNGRR, there is a long-term rebuild program underway that has been well thought out and executed; the results of which are also recorded and reported in the above mentioned locations.

Basically, all the answers to your questions are there, you need only do the "legwork" of reading the forums (preferably before you post your questions,) to learn the answers.

PATIENCE my young Jedi, PATIENCE!

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 08:02:30 AM »
[Moderator's note... I moved Matt's post to the MNG section of our forum.]

Matt, welcome aboard. We're glad to have you.

The best thing to do if you want to see more track or rolling stock restored is to get involved. At the WW&F we have volunteers from under age 10 (who work with their parents supervision) to over age 90. There is truly something for any age and ability.

There are even tasks that do not require direct access to the museum every weekend. I don't get to Sheepscot but once in a while, but I help out from home with the discussion forum and some grant writing duties.

In short, if you can make it to the WW&F some Saturday, stop in and introduce yourself. Bring work gloves and be prepared to work - we'll find something you can do. (I can't speak for the Sandy River Group, or Maine Narrow Gauge, but I am confident that they would also welcome additional volunteers.)

-Ed Lecuyer
Asst. Moderator, WW&F Forum
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Hans Brandes

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 06:25:25 AM »
Matt,

Ed sums this up perfectly. All of us can always use a good set of hands who is willing to work and get involved. If you are coming to watch, that is great but the second time you show up you'll get put to work. All the two foot community has a common goal of preserving Maine history and each of us brings a different part of this to the table.

As you can see WW&F is a class act, has done great things and will grow for many years to come. If you really want to know what equipment is where and in what shape it is in, then it is up to you to stop by each of our places and find out! I could answer all your questions about MNGR, but that would be too easy.

Hans Brandes
MNGRR

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 10:22:17 PM »
I would love to Vollenter but I live In Illinios not Maine but if i Do move there in The Future then I Will Vollenter for there or the WW&F Railroad!   ;D
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Hans Brandes

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 12:17:08 PM »
If you can't make it, then you are welcome to send money. The more the better. Money can fix a lot of cars and engines. If you don't have money, go ask someone who does. Take half of it and send it to WW&F. Take the other half and send it to MNGR.

Non-profit does not equal no money.

Steve Klare

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
    • Narrow Gauge Films
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 02:19:51 PM »
Yeah! Take the third half and send it to the SR&RL!!