W.W.&F. Discussion Forum

Other Maine Narrow Gauges (Historic & Preserved) => Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes Railroad => Topic started by: Stewart "Start" Rhine on September 26, 2008, 01:21:25 PM

Title: SR&RL Annual Meeting
Post by: Stewart "Start" Rhine on September 26, 2008, 01:21:25 PM
For the folks who are also members of the SR&RL RR  -

President Eric Hinkley has announced the annual dinner meeting of the SR&RL RR.  It will be held on October 4th, 2008 at the Community House on Main Street in Phillips, ME.  Dinner starts at 6:00pm and the meeting follows at 7:00pm.  The agenda will include reports from the officers and plans for 2009.  Proposals are:

Repairs to Monson Engine #3,  Restoration of cars from Maine Narrow Gauge,  construction of a new car barn (steel or other type),  right of way fund and a proposal from JerryDeVos regarding the epemeral collection.

All Members and a spouse or friend are welcome.
Title: Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
Post by: Pete "Cosmo" Barrington on September 27, 2008, 01:06:21 AM
Hi Stew,...
I'm just curious, what is this "epemeral collection" of which you speak?
Also, are you going to be there yourself? I'd sure love to hear what transpires at the meeting!

Pete
Title: Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
Post by: Stewart "Start" Rhine on September 27, 2008, 02:09:40 PM
Pete,  Sorry, I left the "h" out of ephemeral.  That refers to things in the railroads collection that are not related to Maine two foot or New England railroads.  I plan to attend the dinner but it depends on when my wife arrives.  I'll be in Maine Tuesday but she's not driving up until early Saturday.  I will give a recap of the proceedings if we go.

See you at the track weekend,  Stewart
Title: Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
Post by: Pete "Cosmo" Barrington on September 27, 2008, 07:04:12 PM
Cool! I'll probably be either "At Sea," or in Florida when it does. I'll watch for the "wrap-up." ;)
Title: Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
Post by: o anderson on September 28, 2008, 01:29:32 AM
I have heard over the years that the guys in Phillips would like to unload itself of two historic standard gauge coaches.  Maybe these are the ephemera.  Both are in need of work, but are also extreeeeeemly old and rare and I hope someone adopts them soon, whether or not they stay in Phillips.
O. Anderson
Title: Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
Post by: Wayne Laepple on September 28, 2008, 02:21:11 AM
According to my handy-dandy Merriam Webster dictionary, "ephemera" is defined as "collectibles such as posters, broadsides, and tickets not intended to have lasting value."  In this case, I'd suggest that it's paper items from the Sandy River and associated companies, such as maps, tickets, waybills, equipment drawings, etc.
Title: Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
Post by: Stewart "Start" Rhine on September 28, 2008, 02:24:02 PM
There are two standard gauge cars in the Phillips collection.  They sit at the North end of operable track where the (relocated) Sanders station is.  One is a very rare wooden Laconia built car from the Concord and Montreal.  The car is used for Board meetings, etc.  The other is a 70 ton steel car that has been gutted out, no seats.  I have no information on either car being "on the market".   
Title: Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
Post by: Ira Schreiber on September 29, 2008, 12:23:27 AM
The Downeast Scenic Railroad in Ellsworth, ME has an ex MEC 1910 Laconia coach from the Conway Scenic Railway. They are repairing it for service. I saw it in the flesh yesterday. In addition they have an ex D&H coach home built in 1904. Both are truss rodded cars.
Title: Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
Post by: Richard "Steam" Symmes on September 30, 2008, 02:36:46 PM
I believe the ancient coach at Sanders was the same one which for years sat in a backyard in North Conway, NH between the center of town and the Mt. Cranmore ski slope area.  Then it got moved to the Conway Scenic RR yard and placed on trucks. Next it turned up over at Phillips, ME.  It is a true historic gem and deserves to be indoors.  Close examination last year revealed much rot and deterioration. If vandals don't get it, the weather soon will.  It still has some of its original wooden window shutters in place! Simply amazing.  How/why did it and the MEC steel car end up at Phillips? What was the plan?

Richard W. Symmes
Title: Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
Post by: Bill Sample on October 01, 2008, 04:47:48 PM
I believe the "broad gauge" equipment was purchased for covered storage, meeting, and future volunteer accommodation space.  The interior of the wooden coach even has some of its fabric ceiling covering intact.
Title: Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
Post by: Wayne Laepple on October 01, 2008, 09:17:51 PM
Hmmmm. Member accommodations, eh? I know where there is a very nice old wooden open platform coach converted to a work train bunk and dining car. I believe it sleeps eight. It's for sale and will in all likelihood be scrapped if not sold by the end of the year. Just something to think about......
Title: Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
Post by: Stewart "Start" Rhine on October 20, 2008, 03:48:47 PM
Here's some news I got while in Phillips last week. 

The standard gauge Laconia built coach will be preserved and eventually restored to it's original appearance.  It is used for Board meetings and was recently used as a display area for the railroad's Halloween weekend.  It retains most of it's original interior.

Monson #3 - a grant request has been submitted for the Albert Webb Memorial Award.  If received, the funds will go towards repairing the 0-4-4T so it can run on the SR&RL in 2009.

The site for the car barn has been graded with large rocks moved away.  There is a proposal to construct a two track pole barn on the railroad east side of the mainline with the switch cut in just north of the Reeds section house.  The building will be about 30X100, there is no start date for construction. 
Title: Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
Post by: Stewart "Start" Rhine on November 25, 2008, 01:20:17 PM
A bit more news;

The Phillips shop crew is building a Model T Ford railcar.  It will be a replica of SR&RL car #2 (which survives at the Owls Head Transportation Museum).   The frame and journal box braces have been built and are stored at Phillips.  The engine and drive train parts have been purchased and are being rebuilt off site.  The car may be on the rails sometime next year if the journal boxes and rear axle assembly can be fabricated over the Winter.


Some of us got to ride the original car #2 when it visited the WW&F Museum during the Annual Picinc a few years ago.  Harry used to run that car as fast as it would go which was probably 35 - 40 mph!
Title: Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
Post by: Bernie Perch on November 25, 2008, 03:19:04 PM
Stewart,

What kind of wheels are they using on it?

Bernie
Title: Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
Post by: Stewart "Start" Rhine on November 25, 2008, 08:18:21 PM
Bernie,  I saw the Model T frame when Zack and I were at Phillips last month.  I'm not sure what wheels will be used but John S. told us that Noah may use a set of Fairmont wheels.  We told John about the heavy cast wheels our Model T will have.  They know that heavier wheels make the car track better (especially on curves) but they don't have any that are the right size. 

Title: Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
Post by: Bernie Perch on November 25, 2008, 08:40:24 PM
Stewart,

I know I have no authority in this matter, but couldn't they have castings made from the WW&F patterns and shrink the tires on like they are doing for Leon's.  The more the pattern would get used, the more I would like it.  I know the pressed steel wheels would be easier to use, but why not go full hog when the patterns are in existence.

Bernie
Title: Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
Post by: Stewart "Start" Rhine on November 25, 2008, 08:54:35 PM
Bernie,  I think it's the cost.  They would like to have the cast wheels but they are mostly going with donated materials to keep costs down.

Stewart
Title: Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
Post by: Stewart "Start" Rhine on September 23, 2009, 02:59:10 PM
Secretary Bob Troup has announced that the Fall 2009 meeting will be held on Saturday, October 3rd in the Phillips Community Center on Main Street.   Dinner will be served at 6:00PM and the meeting will start at 7:00PM.  The agenda will include reports by the railroad's officers and election of Directors.  Some of the issues to be addressed are; the repairs to Monson #3, a reliable coal supply, restoration of the cars leased from MNGRR, restoration of coach #5 (aka#17), the ROW fund and construction of the new car barn.  There are a number of proposals for the car barn.  One plan favors a steel framed structure with wooden (board & batten) siding while another plan specs a completely wooden building.  There will be discussion on having a fund drive to raise money for the construction of the building. 

The railroad will be operating on both Saturday and Sunday of that weekend.

Anyone who plans to attend the dinner and meeting should notify President Eric Hinkley at president@srrl-rr.org

Title: Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
Post by: Stewart "Start" Rhine on September 23, 2009, 03:45:17 PM
Forgot to mention - During the meeting there should be an update on the railcar project.  As some of you may remember, Noah McAdam is building a replica of SR&RL railcar #3 which was the only two foot gauge Model A powered railcar.  It may be ready sometime in 2010.
Title: Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
Post by: Stewart "Start" Rhine on March 21, 2010, 11:41:33 AM
Secretary Bob Troup has announced that the SR&RL will hold a Spring meeting on Saturday, April 24th at 1:00 PM.  (This is the same Saturday of the WW&F work party) The meeting will be held in the Concord & Montreal coach at the Bridge Street end of the railroad.  Both Saturday and Sunday of that weekend will be work days at Phillips. The coach is not heated so if the day is too cold the meeting will be held around the stove in the freight house. 

The Agenda will be as follows:

1. President's report
2. Secretary's report
3. Treasurer's report
4. Nominating Committee
5. Report on motive power, Monson #3, on-going restoration.
6. Coal Supply
7. Rolling stock leased from MNGRR
8. Proposed construction of the car barn
9. Campaign to raise funds for the car barn
10. Coach #17 - restoration of the seats, brakes and roof
11. Section house roof repair
12. Designing a new color brochure

Please contact Eric Hinkley at president@srrl-rr.org or send a post card marked "Meeting" to SR&RL RR P.O. Box B Phillips, ME 04966  if you plan to attend.
Title: Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
Post by: Pete "Cosmo" Barrington on March 21, 2010, 03:45:53 PM
Ooohhh! Neat stuff!  ;D
Title: Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
Post by: Stewart "Start" Rhine on March 27, 2011, 11:55:26 PM
Secretary Bob Troup has announced that the SR&RL RR will hold it's 2011 Spring meeting on Saturday, May 7th at 1:00 PM in the Concord & Montreal Coach at the Bridge Street end of the railroad.  The coach is not heated so if the day is cold the meeting will be held by the stove in the freight house.  Note: Both Saturday and Sunday are work days at Phillips. Those that plan on attending the meeting should let Bob know at his email: secretary (at) srrl-rr.org.

The agenda will be as follows:
1. President's report
2. Secretary's report
3. Treasurer's report
4. Status of the Town of Phillips Revitalization Committee
5. Progress on the restoration on Monson #3 (leased from MNGRR)
6. Coal Supply
7. Cars/rolling stock leased from MNGRR
8. Car barn plan
9. Coach #5 (aka#17), work on seats, brakes and roof
10. Timber harvesting report
11. Any other business may come before the railroad's officers
 
Title: Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
Post by: John McNamara on March 28, 2011, 12:52:52 AM
Will the WW&F helicopter be available to transport us from the SR&RL annual meeting at 1 PM to the WW&F annual meeting at 2 PM? http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-11/1225017/WWFCopter.JPG (http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-11/1225017/WWFCopter.JPG)
Title: Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
Post by: Stewart "Start" Rhine on March 28, 2011, 01:44:35 AM
John,
     I was thinking we could borrow Reds airplane!  Yep, it seems that the WW&F and SR&RL meetings always fall on the same day... must be some kind of conspiracy   ???

Stewart
Title: Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
Post by: James Patten on March 28, 2011, 11:15:52 AM
Will the WW&F helicopter be available to transport us from the SR&RL annual meeting at 1 PM to the WW&F annual meeting at 2 PM?

John, I don't think the helicopter will be fast enough.  We'll have to use the DeLorean to go back in time.  Meetings like that always take much longer than an hour to run.
Title: Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
Post by: Stewart "Start" Rhine on May 03, 2011, 01:21:49 PM
Here are the specifics on a few items to be addresed at the meeting this Saturday. 

Restoration of Monson #3 - More deteriorated old welded spots were discovered earlier this year.  The additional repairs will delay the locomotives return to Phillips, probably to mid-summer at the earliest.  The engine will then need re-assembly work by the shop crew so she may not be in steam until 2012.  The additional repairs have cost $65,000 as opposed to the original estimate of about $20,000.

Sandy River coach 5 / SR&RL 17 - The restoration of the car continues with much work being done by Stan Waterhouse and John Stinchfield.

Car storage building - Some funds have been received from the sale of wood cut from the railroads' property at Phillips.  Also, funds were received from the bequeathed estate of David Coffin, former member and director.  These monies should be enough to construct the roof and sides of the planned storage facility.

The new Membership Secretary is Tom Moore who took over for Gene Milgram.
Title: Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
Post by: Stewart "Start" Rhine on June 23, 2015, 04:59:27 PM
Information from a recent letter from President Tom Moore to SR&RL members:

* Work on SRRR coach #5 / SR&RL #17 continues under the supervision of Stan Waterhouse. 

* Cory Ellis reports that progress has been made in Phase 1 of the restoration of the historic residence Ambleside.   A number of large donations and grants have made the work on the project possible.

* Work continues on Monson #3.

* Treasurer Bill Berry advises that there are now enough funds on hand for construction of the much needed car barn.  We expect action on the project in the near future.

* Editor Dave Jacobs has produced 3 issues of the redesigned "Happenings on the Sandy River" newsletter. Dave is also testing new ideas for the promotion and marketing of the Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes Railroad.
Title: Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
Post by: Stewart "Start" Rhine on April 24, 2016, 08:38:26 PM
Notice of the Spring Meeting has been sent out by Secretary Bob Troup. 

Meeting date: May 7th

Location: Concord & Montreal coach behind the Bridge Street terminal.

Agenda:

* President, Secretary and Treasurer give their reports.

* 2016 National Narrow Gauge Convention plan: Bus tours, roundhouse tours and special trains.

* Ambleside House - report on restoration.

* Nominating Committee / Nominations for officers.

* Monson locomotive #3 (leased from MNG)

     (a) Return date
     (b) Water supply
     (c) Coal - supply and storage
     (d) Engineer in Charge confirmation.

* Car Chief's Report

* Website and Facebook

* Coach #5 / #17

     (a) Seats
     (b) Brakes
     (c) Roof

* Car Barn

* Other SR&RL RR business. 

Title: Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
Post by: Stewart "Start" Rhine on September 28, 2016, 12:26:45 PM
The Fall 2016 Meeting agenda has been sent to members.  The meeting will be convened at 6:00 PM on Saturday, October 8th in the Forster Building at 14 South Main Street in Strong.  Topics include:

*  President's report

*  Secretary's report

*  Treasurer's report

*  Car barn plans

*  Rolling stock and Building Chief's report

*  Proposal for a special event

*  Repair of locomotives

*  Steam operations report with convention recap.

*  Boxcar display kiosk - to be set up at the Kennebunk Service Plaza

*  Marketing and a proposal to adopt new technologies for communications with members and the public.

*  Website

*  Ambleside mansion
Title: Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
Post by: Philip Marshall on September 28, 2016, 02:57:54 PM
Does the "boxcar display kiosk" mean they're going to move a boxcar to the Kennebunk rest area? I think it's a great idea, though I would be concerned about security.
Title: Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
Post by: Stewart "Start" Rhine on September 28, 2016, 09:02:18 PM
The boxcar is the former B&SR one that Brian (from Boothbay Railway Village) got from MNG and restored over the Summer.  It was on display at Brian's place during the NNGC and will be going to the rest stop next year.  SR&RL is one of the lines that will have information in the car, not sure what the setup will be at Kennebunk or how the inside of the car will be arranged.
Title: Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
Post by: Philip Marshall on September 28, 2016, 11:14:02 PM
Thanks for the explanation, Stewart. That sounds like a great use for Brian's boxcar. Will the WW&F be represented also?
Title: Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
Post by: Stewart "Start" Rhine on September 29, 2016, 02:13:32 AM
Thanks for the explanation, Stewart. That sounds like a great use for Brian's boxcar. Will the WW&F be represented also?

Not sure, Steve or Jason may know.
Title: Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
Post by: James Patten on September 29, 2016, 11:15:33 AM
We were offered to be a part of it, and we're waiting for more information - but we are interested.
Title: Re: SR&RL Annual Meeting
Post by: Lloyd Day on October 02, 2016, 11:30:29 AM
The Fall 2016 Meeting agenda has been sent to members.  The meeting will be convened at 6:00 PM on Saturday, October 8th in the Forster Building at 14 South Main Street in Strong.  Topics include:

*  President's report

NO NOTICE HERE. NO LETTER NO EMAIL. Communication is tragic

Lloyd