Author Topic: Museum Now Listed on Popular Fundraising and Volunteering Web Sites  (Read 24450 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Re: Museum Now Listed on Popular Fundraising and Volunteering Web Sites
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 03:09:04 PM »
iGive is doing another signup promotion today only! If you haven't signed up yet, please visit:
http://www.igive.com/welcome/warm_reg_promo.cfm?m=633238

Once signed up, be sure to click on a store. You don't have to buy anything, just look. This gives us an extra donation.

To date, we've raised almost $120 through iGive. Considering there are only a few of us actually using it - that's pretty good.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Tom Casper

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
    • Sandy Ridge & Clear Lake Ry.
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 02:56:41 AM »
I signed up the other day as I was looking for a cable for my camera to VCR.  Found one,  hope you get a buck.

Tom C.
Later:
tom_srclry_com

Matthew Martin

• Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2010, 03:25:01 AM »
I downloaded the Goodsearch toolbar and im using it now.. So I hope it helps.. You need 20 dollars worth of donations for them to send a check so im trying to recruit more and more people!

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2010, 01:09:02 PM »
I don't think many people are using GoodSearch for the WW&F. We've been listed there for almost a year - and only $2.24 has been raised (well short of the $20 minimum to get a check.)

We do have a good group of growing followers on iGive. While their general search tool is pretty lame (not as good as Google or Bing) they are connected with almost every online retailer. Since December 2009, the 16 members on iGive (and really, only 8 members have really used it) have raised $162.39!  We've received 3 checks totaling $88.11, with the rest due in the coming months.

I encourage anyone who does any amount of on-line shopping to start at iGive.com and select the WW&F as your charity. (Note, you do *not* have to use their toolbar - and I have not seen that they have squandered my email address to others.) While using iGive will never replace our other fundraising efforts, every little bit helps - and we are starting to see some real money from this effort.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 07:26:16 PM »
Hi all,

With the shopping season here again, a quick reminder that GoodSearch (www.goodsearch.com) and iGive (www.igive.com) can be used to donate money to the WW&F. Personally, I use Google to find the best prices for a product that I need, then check iGive to see if that retailer participates in the program.

Note that Amazon.com does participate, as does buy.com - two of the largest e-tailers - plus many specialty shops. eBay purchases can help benefit the WW&F too. You can even buy a subscription to Trains magazine (and similar journals) with a portion of the sale getting to the WW&F.

That having been said, it appears that Goodsearch has a much better variety of stores to choose from. However, I have not used their service, yet, so I can not say how good it is.

Regardless, while it may seem only like a bit of change, these transactions do add up - and have generated some revenue for the museum.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 07:33:52 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 11:02:23 PM »
Thanks to Christmas purchases, our iGive fundraising has now topped over $200! We only have a handful of people participating, but it adds up quickly.

If you shop at all on-line, and do not use iGive, please consider doing so.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2011, 01:25:50 AM »
Hi All,

One of our members received a notice from iGive about the need to uninstall and reinstall the iGive toolbar. Since this member has raised a fair amount of money for the WW&F through his online shopping, I was asked to verify its authenticity. I have checked it and it appears to be correct.

That having been said, I personally do not use the iGive toolbar. Instead I use their web site directly to search for vendors (or link to vendors I already use frequently, such as Amazon, Staples, Buy.com, and others.)

To date, we really only have 5 people using iGive... but together they have raised $234! Ceretainly not a ton of money, but impressive considering that it only costs a moment of time to look at their web site before shopping at a vendor that you probably would shop at anyway.

I do a fair amount of online shopping, but I use iGive only when their vendors offer the best price. (Google is much better for sorting that stuff out.) Once I figure out who I want to purchase from, I see if iGive has that vendor. It's a small extra step, but it is helping to raise money for our railroad.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 01:59:22 PM »
Wanted to remind everyone that we are still getting donations by shopping online through iGive.

Moreover, I wanted to publically thank Glenn Byron who recently used iGive to score us a $20 donation! Also, thanks to Peter Barrington, Mark Edry, Ken Flemming, Erik Missal, and Ken Thomas who have also used this method to make significant donations to the WW&F.

Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2012, 12:29:16 AM »
Just a reminder to people that when you're selling things on eBay, that you can specify a portion of your receipt to the WW&F.  Since we've started accepting donations this way, we've taken in almost $500.  Just from 5 people! 

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2012, 12:43:57 AM »
That's great. And is very easy to do. When setting up your auction, down at the part where donations are, just start typing Wiscasset and the museum will pop up. Then the next time you sell, it will be one of the selections you can choose.

The way it works is you specify the percentage of your donation. After the sale, you will be billed the amount. Mine is usually drawn out of my checking account, because I spend what is Paypal account so quickly.

Easy and very simple. And the museum gets a boost to it's general fund.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2012, 09:43:59 PM »
With "Cyber Monday" here - a reminder to use iGive and/or GoodShop and list the WW&F as your charity. This doesn't cost you anything (anfd you can skip installing any "toolbar" and the WW&F will get a donation of a portion of your purchase. This includes e-retailer such as Amazon.com, Buy.com, Sears.com, and many, many others.

To date, a few of us have raised over $300 for the WW&F, just by clicking on the iGive web page before we shop.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2014, 11:05:48 PM »
Amazon.com now has a donation program called SMILE.AMAZON.COM.  B-T-W, I Give missed a $5,000 plus transaction that I made on Amazon.COM.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2014, 07:51:40 PM »
Hi All,

With the Christmas Shopping season upon us, a gentle reminder that you can use any of the following web services to channel donations back to the WW&F *at no cost to you*! This is a free and easy way to generate donations for the WW&F - and several hundred dollars have been raised since we started doing this.

The WW&F is registered at:
http://www.igive.com
http://www.goodshop.com
http://givingassistant.org
http://smile.amazon.com

Note that smile.amazon.com can be piggybacked with an iGive referral. In other words, the donation is given by BOTH iGive and Amazon. If you order from Amazon at all, starting at iGive, then linking to Smile will quickly add up some donations.

iGive, Goodsearch, and Giving Assistant have donation links to most popular online retailers. If one site doesn't have the retailer you are looking for, check another one.

Also, you do not have to install any special software or toolbars to get the donations for the WW&F. These are optional (and I personally do not use them.)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 02:17:38 AM by Ed Lecuyer »
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2015, 03:41:03 PM »
Hi All,

Just a reminder to consider using the above links when shopping online. With only a few people doing this, we have raised nearly $600 for the WW&F! They only require clicking their web sites first, then moving onto the online sites you love.

For example:
For Amazon.com, start at iGive to link to Amazon, then move to Amazon Smile. This gives donations from both iGive and Amazon.
For eBay, start at ShopForMuseums.com, then move to eBay. (eBay does not donate from iGive or Goodshop links.)
For almost any other retailer, start at iGive, Goodshop, or ShopForMuseums. If one site does not have the retailer you want, check the others.

In some cases, the donation percentage is different depending on the starting site. For example, for Staples.com, iGive gives a 1.6% donation to the WW&F, Goodshop gives 2.5% and ShopForMuseums varies up to 2.5%. Personally, I usually just stick with iGive - but feel free to investigate what works best for you.

Incidentally, I have a friend who came to the WW&F only twice several years ago before moving far away. He still supports us through his online shopping, and he has quickly raised a substantial amount on his own. Please encourage your family and friends to support the WW&F during this Christmas/Holiday buying season by using these services.

The WW&F is registered at:
http://www.igive.com
http://www.goodshop.com
http://givingassistant.org
http://smile.amazon.com
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 02:18:28 AM by Ed Lecuyer »
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2016, 03:14:28 AM »
I am usually a little overwhelmed, but I make up for it being slow.  However, yesterday I did sign up for I-give and today bought a birthday gift for my sweet wife.  It's nice to know that a little of the money spent will feed back to my favorite railroad.  It is a clever scheme for all concerned.  I am sure I-give gets a small cut, our railway gets a cut, the e-stores are happy for the business and the brick and mortar stores are the ones taking the hit.  It is really a great indicator of how our life and society is changing in very dramatic ways. 

Sort of makes me glad to be a part of the recreation of our rail road history and the simpler times we portray.

Bill
Wascally Wabbit