Author Topic: New Chat Option in Forum  (Read 11742 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
New Chat Option in Forum
« on: July 09, 2009, 09:24:20 PM »
We've had mixed results with the chat system that Stephen Hussar has been so graciously hosting on one of his web sites. Often times, it drops out and/or is confusing to use. Tonight, we had a small, but decent conversation going, then I got dropped and didn't realize it for quite some time. When I did, the conversation had ended.

Tonight I searched for and installed a VERY SIMPLE chat add-on directly into the discussion forum. I made a few modifications and customizations so that only registered forum participants can view and take part in the conversation.

You will find a 'CHAT' link near the top of the forum page (HOME HELP SEARCH PROFILE MY MESSAGES MEMBERS CHAT LOGOUT). Click it and give it a try. I'll be logged into it for most of the day on Friday, July 10th. Please stop in, say hi, and let me know how it works.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Re: New Chat Option in Forum
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 09:00:09 PM »
I was sucessful in installing a different Chat plugin tonight. This one works a lot more smoothly and seems very stable. It also indicates how many (if anyone) is in the chat room and who they are. This is listed in the chat room, as well as at the bottom of the forum 'home' page.

I'll probably be logged in for most of tomorrow (Tue, July 14th) if anyone wants to stop in, say hello, and let me know if it seems to work for you.

Scheduled chat sessions will continue on Thursday nights from 8-10pm, EST. However, they'll be right within our own forum and not on the railwayvideo.org' site.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 07:47:10 PM »
Thanks to everyone who stopped in today to help test the chat. With one exception, it seemed to hold up very well. I finished all the 'tweaking' I intend to do so it should be fully ready for our first formal chat session this Thursday, July 16th.

Of course, the chat room is always open, and the top of the forum pages will tell you if anyone is in there. On the bottom of the forum home page, it lists who is in there too.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 06:58:32 AM »
After a brief absence, the Chat Room appears to be working again. Join in the Chat on Thursday evenings, or whenever you see someone in the chat room.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum