Author Topic: Beaver Brook Farm and Transportation Museum  (Read 28805 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Beaver Brook Farm and Transportation Museum
« on: June 22, 2009, 08:30:07 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Beaver Brook Farm and Transportation Museum has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Mike Fox wrote:
An unfortunate link to post. I heard it on the radio and was hoping it was not true. A fellow two footer if you aren't familiar.
Mike
http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/articles/2008/03/10/remainder_of_museum_destroyed_in_weekend_roof_collapse/

James Patten replied:
For those that remember the saddle tanker locomotive that used to sit outside the Museum, Ed Gilbert was the one that bought it from us.

elecuyer replied:
Here's another article, announcing the sale of what remains of the collection:
http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080319/NEWS01/735644320/-1/news

I've never been to Beaver Brook, but I wonder if he has anything that we could use at the WW&F?

James Patten replied:
We want to sell the Edaville Railroad...
  Never knew they owned it.  I do know that they purchased some pieces from Edaville.  I don't know what they acquired.

Ira Schreiber replied:
Here is the contact number for the Gilbert sale.
It appears this is NOT an auction and there appears to be some 2' items.

For information about purchasing items from the museum collection, call Eddie and Beth Gilbert at 673-9001 or write them c/o Beaver Brook Transportation Museum, 78 Brook Road, Mont Vernon, NH 03057.

Jon Chase replied:
According to the SR&RL Museum's website, Beaver Brook has a Sandy River boxcar body in fairly decent condition, as well as a handcar.

Jon Chase

James Patten replied:
Speaking strictly for myself, my opinion is that if we're reluctant to purchase rail because of our financial/debt position, no way should we be looking into buying anything from Beaver Brook.

Dave Buczkowski replied:
James;
These opportunities don't often arise so it behooves us to at least check out what they have. There isn't a lot of authentic two foot equipment on the market these days. If there are key items that we may need or want someday we owe it to ourselves to try and obtain them.
Dave

Ira Schreiber replied:
Dave is absolutly correct.
There will be rail in the forseeable future but SR&RL cars have been out of production for many years and they ain't builddin no more!
How many times have you said" coulda, woulda, shoulda"?

Ira

petecosmob replied:
Wether there's something the WW&F needs or can use or not, I think the idea shoud be to join a concerted effort to save or retain as much 2' related items, equipment, memorabilia etc. as possible first!
Objecta that are NOT 2' related may be obtaiable now and carry a much higher resale value for later that may benefit the museum!
Of course, there IS always the "white elephant factor," but I belive the WW&F et all has enough experience to avoid that "trap."
I'd say use best judgement and save what you can.
Just my $.02 worth,
Pete

Wayne Laepple replied:
Does anyone know for certain what's at Beaver Brook, other than the aforementioned Sandy River boxcar and velocipede? I saw a photo somewhere of a small industrial gasoline or diesel loco. What else is there?

gordon cook replied:
So does anyone have any idea what an original SRRL boxcar is worth?
I would assume FOB at the site in NH.
Ballpark guesses welcome.

Maybe it's about time the WW&F interchanged with the SRRL

Ira Schreiber replied:
Based on the small amount of information I have on this very limited market, I would hazzard a guestimate in the $10 to $15 thousand dollar range. I based this on the price of a 2' baggage car, (non-prototype) that sold at auction for $31,000, three years ago and the going rate for trucks.

Ira

Bruce Wilson replied:
Speaking strictly for myself, my opinion is that if we're reluctant to purchase rail because of our financial/debt position, no way should we be looking into buying anything from Beaver Brook.

I am in agreement with James on this. Remember, the museum has a tankcar to restore and locomotive no. 9's rebuild is underway.

Sheepscot could very quickly turn into a junkyard and museum focus lost unless the long range plans are followed.
Wanted: Photographs by Linwood Moody, Phil Bonnet, Lawrence Brown and other first generation narrow gage rail enthusiasts. Also seeking collectibles, ephemera and correspondence offered by and exchanged between narrow gage enthusiasts.

Josh Botting replied:
Also keep in mind that anything we get, we have to store and maintain.

Bruce Wilson replied:
Exactly as Josh has said...
Wanted: Photographs by Linwood Moody, Phil Bonnet, Lawrence Brown and other first generation narrow gage rail enthusiasts. Also seeking collectibles, ephemera and correspondence offered by and exchanged between narrow gage enthusiasts.

Stephen Hussar replied:
oh come on you guys, what else am I going to do with my Sandy River boxcar hardware -- that I dug out of the ground in the early seventies? 

petecosmob replied:
...so MY question now, is:
Just exactly what kind of shape IS this boxcar in? If it's in somewhat reasonable condition it may be "light-maintenance" for some time until thourough work can be done.  Also, for the way rthings are looking at Beaver Brook according to the article, I wouldn't be surprized if Mr Gilbert let it go for a fraction of it's actual worth!
Just more musing.
Pete

gordon cook replied:
We absolutely do have a full plate at the museum. No doubt about that!

I will say IMHO that if there are individuals who are willing to take on the time and money to preserve an original 2 foot boxcar instead of having it sit and rot like so many do, then I certainly wouldn't discourage them. There are times when opportunity knocks and will pass, and that is a factor in this case.

But, I agree that it can't turn into an additional drain on the WW&F's resources.

If Philips can't take this car, then maybe we should ask under what circumstances  the museum might rationalize operable but non-WW&F rolling stock at Sheepscot? We have already done that for the B&SR tank.

Per diem charges??

There are many assumptions in this question, I know, but let's air it out!
This forum is too boring already!

(Long flame-proof gauntlet gloves on!)

Bruce Wilson replied:
When I last saw the car at Beaver Brook (1994) it was in excellent condition, although with no trucks and couplers. Maybe the owners have added these components in recent years, as many wheel sets and journal boxes were purchased from Edaville (Cranrail) in 1999 or shortly thereafter.

Ira Schreiber replied:
IMHO, the greater need at the WW&F is the trucks, wheels and hardware that may be available.
The SR&RL boxcar body may need to be "saved" as I said earlier, but our need is the above items for future construction, such as flat car 127.
Ira

o anderson replied:
If a good price can be negotiated and the funding raised without draining the normal flow of funds, I think the car should be acquired.  Who says it has to be relettered SR&RL if it's purpose was to create the feel of a WW&F freight train.  And another thought... while Boothbay should not be expected to give up an original WW&F car, outright, they might be more open to a fair trade of a historic car from another railroad.
O. Anderson

Mike Fox replied:
I agree with Gordon throughout. I would be anxious to hear what it looks like now and what else is available there, in a more private setting of course.
Mike

Josh Botting replied:
A historic item such as this should be stored inside, not left outside to rot, as was mentioned.  At this time, I don't believe that we have available interior storage, or exterior storage for that matter.  At the best, we would have to shift some of our assets outside.

NGFan replied:
It is such a shame that something like this happens, all the work and time to have something like mother nature take it all away.  I really feel for the folks.  BUT - this is an opportunity of a sort.  IF - and I mean IF ........
a group can save the car, then we should.  Even if we give it to one of the other museums who should have it but can't swing it right now.  If we can trade for an original WW&F piece, even better.  But "doing the right thing" will bring rewards to us far into the future.  Regardless of museum group we belong to, we're all in it together..........

John

Wayne Laepple replied:
As I wrote yesterday, without knowledge of what there is at Beaver Brook and what's actually available, this is all simply speculation on our part. Someone needs to phone Mr. Gilbert and ask politely what's up.

That said, if the Phillips folks don't want the SR&RL boxcar or are unable to purchase it, a cohort of interested folks could pool resources to acquire and move the body to Sheepscot and donate it to the museum. For the time being, it would provide secure storage for items currently stored in the shop, and perhaps down the road, could be restored to service. Several folks I've been in touch with have acknowledged the need for additional storage, and what better to use for storage than a genuine boxcar? A quick coat of paint and perhaps a couple of rolls of roofing would spiff it up and protect it for some years to come, until such time as it can be restored to full service.

medry replied:
I would suggest simply that someone with the authority to do so should contact Beaver Brook on behalf of the WW&F to find out what they have of interest, not just the boxcar, and how much they want for it. This kind of opportunity is very rare and I think we should take advantage of it, even if the timing is a little inconvenient.

I know I would be willing to make a special donation for this.

And regarding having Sandy River equipment at Sheepscot, my view is that it was going to be prototypical had the FS&K been completed, and the boxcar (and our caboose for that matter) could be presented in this light!

-- Mark E

gordon cook replied:
From the 2001 picture on the SRRL Museum website, it doesn't look like it has trucks, and Bruce said it doesn't have either those or couplers, so they would have to be either recreated or bought somewhere. I'm guessing that McMaster Carr doesn't have them in stock.?)

Wayne's idea for using it for storage is a good one. I think that it could be protected from the weather with a small 'roof' that attaches to the  car and sheds the snow and rain in the off season.

My 'interchange' comment was only partially tongue in cheek. We're all aware of the FS&K which would have brought SRRL boxcars to tidewater in Wiscasset, so that having a genuine SRRL car in a freight could spawn a whole lot of fun speculation and might have been's, which we all love to do!
And, it's yet another first for the modern WW&F!!
Would we also be reuniting #9 with it? 

Dave Crow replied:
Since this thread has been quiet for a while, I assume the Board and/or the membership at the Annual Meeting decided not to make any enquiries?

Thanks for any update.
Dave Crow

Stephen Hussar replied:
Hi Dave, we actually tried to make contact with Mr Gilbert a couple of times regarding this car and he did not return calls or emails. I took this to mean he was not interested in selling the car.

Dave Crow replied:
Steve, thanks for the update.

Stephen Hussar replied:
By the way, the aforementioned hardware has been donated to the museum...for a future boxcar perhaps...   
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Dylan Lambert

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
Re: Beaver Brook Farm and Transportation Museum
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 07:30:44 PM »
Now I figured I'd post this here... Because, well, it doesn't seem like there's any other place appropriate to ask. How exactly does one get a hold of the Beaver Brook folks these days? I've been trying to do some digging on the Henschel they have there, but haven't had much luck getting in contact with them...

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Beaver Brook Farm and Transportation Museum
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 08:19:13 PM »
Sandy River has a contact there, maybe you should check with them.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...