Author Topic: More ICC Valuation sheets  (Read 1676 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
More ICC Valuation sheets
« on: April 06, 2009, 01:51:34 AM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
More ICC Valuation sheets has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Stephen Hussar wrote:

Mike Fox replied:
Nice. Now we know the exact sizes of the tool houses. One thing that I didn't know about was the motor car house in Weeks Mills. 8X8. Must have been a small motorcar. Or was this for the "Foolish Four"?
Mike

Bill Sample replied:
Is it me or do others find the entry for Sheepscot a bit strange?
I don't have my books with me, but I didn't think that Sheepscot would have had a combination station.  Maybe they are referring to the second station at the site, but that still doesn't seem to fit.

Joe Fox replied:
I know there used to be a small freight house at Sheepscot, but after the station burned, I don't think they rebuilt it, so the sheets might be filled out after the station burned.

Joe

Stewart Rhine replied:
Bill and Joe, you guys have the right ideas.  The original passenger station burned but the freight house survived.   The WW&F carpenters added a passenger waiting room onto the South end of the freight house.  That created the combination station of 11X31.  That station later burned and then the surviving section house was moved in as the final Sheepscot station.

Joe Fox replied:
Oh. That makes sense. I knew that they moved the section house there, but I wasn't sure what else went on. Thanks for the info.

Joe

Stewart Rhine replied:
Joe, I have a photograph (somewhere) of the station when it was in the extended freight house.  It's the only view I've ever seen of the building that way.  I'll look for it this weekend.

Joe Fox replied:
Ok. I would like to take a look at it. As I said, I have never seen it in any books that I have read.

Joe

Bill Sample replied:
Thanks, Stewart - never knew this.  Looking forward to any photos of the Sheepscot combo station.  You never stop learning about the history of our railway thanks to the sharing of knowledge!

Wayne Laepple replied:
Take a look at "Narrow Gauge in the Sheepscot Valley" Volume 1, page 75. There's a photo of Sheepscot with the freight station.

James Patten replied:
To my knowledge there's no straight-on photo of the Sheepscot station with freight house.  There's only photos from trackside looking back at a train in the station.  You can see the freight shed but it's very hard to gauge it's scale.

Off hand I'd say it was a third of the size of the one that's there now, which is a replica of what was probably the largest freight shed on the railroad, the one at Week's Mills.

Bill Sample replied:
Would I be correct in saying that the original elevation of the railway at Sheepscot would be somewhat like the right of way appears on the south side of Cross Road?  It looks that way in the old photos.
I can fully understand way the current line was elevated, especially after seeing the area in flood conditions.

Joe Fox replied:
I wouldn't be surprised if the railroad ran the train through about a foot or two of water, since I have seen a Sandy River pulp train chugging at a good clip, plowing water, so that way they could get through a little dip in the track. I don't remember how much water was on the track, and I can't remember the caption either, all I can remeber is the photo.

Joe

Mike Fox replied:
I think the reason it floods there now is the Cross Rd. and Fire Pond. When the Railroad was operating, there was no fire pond and the water probably went freely down the stream. I think Cross road has been rebuilt in that area since the railroad left. Making it higher and when a lot of water comes through, it has to go over the top.
Mike

Stewart Rhine replied:
Mike is right.  Harry told me that the Cross Road was raised about 5 feet in the late 1950's or early 1960's.  The museum's grade was raised to match the road to allow for a future grade crossing.

As to the freight house, the photograph that Wayne noted shows the original Sheepscot buildings during the Carson Peck era, before the station burned.  When the station was lost, a passenger waiting room was added to the South end of the freight house which created the 11X31 combination station noted in the survey.

There's only one known photograph of the combination station and I don't think it has been published.

Bill Sample replied:
Thanks to all for the info on Sheepscot.  Guess there were three different station configurations over the years there.  Hope to see any photo of the combination station someday.

Stewart Rhine replied:
Bill, There will be a photograph of the second (combination) Sheepscot station in the next volume of Narrow Gauge in the Sheepscot Valley.   That book, the sixth in the series on the WW&F may be out in the latter part of 2007.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum