Author Topic: A change at the top  (Read 5526 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
A change at the top
« on: March 19, 2009, 10:31:13 PM »
As most of you know, James Patten, museum Webmaster, BOD member, doer of many things, and all-around nice guy started this forum as an offshoot of the museum web site a few years ago. I offered to help him moderate it, as I also moderate a discussion forum at work (among many other far more important tasks) as well as spend a fair amount of time posting and participating in other railroad online communities. His response was a hearty and enthusiastic... I'll think about it.

Eventually, he needed some help and I was asked to step in while he was away in Wales, enjoying the 2ft'rs of that country. A few months back, we "swapped" roles and he assigned me principal moderator. He timed that perfectly: as our forum membership began to swell, we got a severe spambot attack, which was promptly followed by some mild quarreling amongst ourselves.

While he and I never discussed it, I'm sure he was glad that he didn't really have to deal too much with that nonsense.

Today I received notification that James has "demoted" himself from "Moderator" status so that he can concentrate on more pressing issues at the WW&F.

While we don't do a lot of patting ourselves on the back at the WW&F, I thought it would be a good opportunity to publicly thank James for all his hard work. He shows a great deal of dedication to our organization and often does things "behind the scenes" to get things done. We are all the beneficiaries of his labor and I am privileged to follow in his footsteps.

I also wanted to share a comment that someone posted about the WW&F forum on another railroad discussion site (that sometimes discusses the WW&F.)
The [WW&F forum is] obviously a pretty tight community and [their members] have a great sense of humor. It's definitely a different flavor from [another discussion forum].

We have something special in the WW&F and our online community. Perfect? No. However, let's keep up the good work together.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
Re: A change at the top
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 01:00:55 AM »
Thank you, James, for another one of your jobs well done. 
...and you too, Ed, for being the "ringmaster" here ;D!

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 01:10:24 AM »
I think the Museum owes a lot to James. The world is becoming Web based and he helped steer the museum in that direction. The Website is perfect, and without him, we would not have this fabulous forum. So a big thank you to James.
  Now Ed, you have some big shoes to fill here. You are doing great. Keep it up.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 11:28:36 AM by Mike Fox »
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 01:33:23 AM »
Hear, Hear. Nothing else I can add.

Allan Fisher

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 01:55:52 AM »
James is "otay".
Allan Fisher

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 02:26:09 AM »
I heartily second everything that Mike Fox said, word for word. Great job!

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 02:29:20 AM »
Ah, what a WEB you have woven, dear James..........

Ira Schreiber

Tom Casper

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
    • Sandy Ridge & Clear Lake Ry.
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 02:34:21 AM »
Yes, thank you James and Ed.  I sure enjoy it from afar.  Maybe not as far as some, but far enought that it makes it hard to be on site and be useful. The forum has been a godsend to me, to keep me up on happenings out there.

Tom C.
Later:
tom_srclry_com

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 01:21:38 PM »
Uh..gosh, uh gee uh shucks :-[.  Thanks everyone.

At least this forum isn't topless, like a certain coffee shop in Vassalboro.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 02:07:30 PM by James Patten »

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 02:24:09 PM »
James;
As do all the others, I appreciate all that you've done and all that you still do. Ed is a very fitting person to take over and continue on. I know it's a lot of work especially since I don't have a clue how it's all done. I still think the site is steam powered. Ed, now about that topless thing James mentioned...
Dave

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 02:40:26 PM »
I don't think there are many people who are on this forum that I would like to see topless.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/Matt3985
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 02:54:25 PM »
Good job on keeping this form runing James & Ed. Keep up the good work.  :) ;) ;D
Proud Supporter of the new Norfolk Southern 21st Century Steam Program. Go vist my youtube account here at www.youtube.com/Matt3985 .