Author Topic: Engine wiper  (Read 509 times)

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
Engine wiper
« on: December 05, 2017, 06:20:39 AM »
I'm proud on my new position on the railway. I wish I could be there and wipe your lovely locomotive. In Pithiviers it was my job when I started out a long time back. By the way what does a hobo  do ?
Picsous Alain Delassus

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Re: Engine wiper
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 12:01:50 PM »
A hobo is someone who rides freights from one place to another while trying to avoid conductors, brakemen, railroad police.  Typically in the US it happened a lot during hard economic times like the Great Depression.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 12:04:59 PM »
There is a "ranking" system in the forum software that classifies members by the quantity of their posts. When the forum was set up many years ago, these categories were created. They really don't mean anything; it's just a fun way to keep the board railroad-themed.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 03:27:47 PM »
You'll note that it refers to quantity - not quality!

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 03:56:38 PM »
Now Dave,

Carefully tread around those who sometimes take threads off into the wonderful world of wacky and tomfoolery.

I shan't include any names as the list might include me... 

And don't let the punsters loose on the next series of puns that seem to appear with no apparent cause.  Those Maine Narrow-gauge folks are a smart bunch in addition to being dedicated, hardy and hard workers.

Bill
Wascally Wabbit

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 05:50:45 PM »
A hobo is someone who rides freights from one place to another while trying to avoid conductors, brakemen, railroad police.  Typically in the US it happened a lot during hard economic times like the Great Depression.
James you should make it clear that the hobo is not only avoiding conductors, brakemen and railroad bulls (police) but what they are avoiding is paying for their fare!
Keith

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 11:12:41 PM »
Thank you for your explanations. I'm not only a newcomer to the WW&F but to a discussion forum as well. Hoboes were part of the railroad in the thirties  quite a lot of songs were written and movies shot about their lives .Maybe there were any that rode the trains  of the WW&F Railroad before it was closed down. I guess you don't have any hobo on your trains now.
In Pithiviers every passenger buys their old style tickets at the station window before boarding the train and during the return journey the conductor ask for the tickets "Controle des billets s'il vous plait !" and punch them. It's part of the the"folklore" and I have never found a faredogger. Kids love that and me too.  Does the conductor punch the  tickets on the train during the journey ?

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 12:36:10 AM »
Does the conductor punch the  tickets on the train during the journey ?
Yes, we do, using real railway ticket punches. The ticket stock is a reproduction of the original WW&F Railway ticket stock, which not only adds to the authenticity, but also provides a souvenir.
-John M

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 02:00:11 AM »
Yes, we do, using real railway ticket punches. The ticket stock is a reproduction of the original WW&F Railway ticket stock, which not only adds to the authenticity, but also provides a souvenir.
-John M

Which raises a question I've been meaning to ask.  Where was Cummings?  I've noticed it listed on the tickets when punching on conductor duty.  I know it was located between Wiscasset and Sheepscot, but where exactly? 

I assume it's been discussed in one or more of the many WW&F books written over the years, but I don't remember reading about it. 

Sorry for the thread hijack!

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 03:35:31 PM »
-John M
At the AMTP in Pithiviers we use small rectangular cardboard tickets marked A.M.T.P. that are much like those  used  by S.N.C.F. (the French national railroad company) until the late seventies. They are made in Switzerland and cost a lot but w'll go  on buying them because out here they also provide a souvenir. By the way what is the job of the conductor on your trains?  And when there are several trains on the main how are their runs scheduled. Who is in charge of the safety of the train running ? Is your Rule Book mandatory?
I'm interested in railroad rules and regulations because I'm the co-writter of the A.M.T.P. Rule Book that is mandatory in France.

Picsous Alain Delassus

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 04:39:09 PM »
The Conductor is in charge of the train, and tells the engine crew when it's time to leave the station, where they are going, any issues that he might know about on the way ("work crew at Milepost 6").  For our normal operations we have the primary "first class" train, and a secondary "second class" train which is usually the Model T railcar.  They meet at Alna Center.

For complicated days, such as the upcoming Victorian Christmas, we'll have a dispatcher who's job it is to keep track of where everything is.  We'll be running two trains, although only one out on the line at any time.

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 08:56:22 PM »
I should mention that our regular runs operate by timetable authority. Other trains outside of regular operations are either self dispatched (if the only train operating) or dispatched by a dispatcher.

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 06:11:30 PM »
At the AMTP two westbound trains and an eastbound train can run on the main at the same time . The eastbound one is switching into a  passing siding called Les Carrières located around half way between Pithiviers and the end station Bellébat to wait for the two westbound trains that follow each other by 5 minutes. The engine crew and the conductors are informed of the mouvements of the trains by the dispatcher before pulling away from the station or by phone. When possible they are given writting orders. Of course there is a yearly schedule valid for sundays and legal holidays and mostly there is only one train on the main. But when a big event takes place like a Steam Festival a special schedule is set up  and it's a lot of fun for everybody.

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2017, 11:44:23 PM »
Alain, what is the total length (km or miles) of the AMTP?

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2017, 11:53:02 PM »
Here's a little clip from YouTube of the railway at Pithiviers. From what I can find on-line, the railway is about 4 kilometers, or 2.5 miles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-bIIrDgWY8