Author Topic: OMG! You can get Moxie in PA......  (Read 31139 times)

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
OMG! You can get Moxie in PA......
« on: November 11, 2017, 12:39:27 PM »
One of the things I really miss from Maine is Moxie soda.  Picked up several cases on the way home from FWW but alas it's almost gone.  I can get it through Amazon or Walmart but the price with shipping was crazy.  So just for grins I googled Moxie and discovered that Moxie is being bottled under license by the Catawissa Bottling Company, Catawissa PA, (just across the Susquehanna from Bloomsburg).  So now I can pick some up on my trips to State College and not feel deprived anymore.  Yippee......... :)
Moxie Bootlegger

Mike Arnold

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
    • Twin Forks NRHS
Re: OMG! You can get Moxie in PA......
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 01:00:58 PM »
I can go to the local publex here in Florida and get ur as well. Cracker Barrel was the only place I could find it down here.
Mike
United States Merchant Marine.
Cadet at NY Maritime College

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 01:13:59 PM »
The Catawissa Bottling Co. is a step back in time. It's a very small operation owned by several members of the same family, and all their employees are related somehow. The equipment used for bottling is antique, to the point that they have to make their own parts. In addition to bottling Moxie, they also produce Big Ben's sodas, most notably birch beer in a variety of colors. Indeed, during the nation's bicentennial back in 1976, they sold cases of mixed red, white and blue birch beer. Big Ben, by the way, was the grandfather who started the business in 1926 and developed the formula for the birch beer. They've been at it since Prohibition, so they know what they're doing, and unless things have changed recently, if you buy soda by the case, that case is wooden! I think they finally gave up on returnable bottles since most folks apparently couldn't be bothered to return them. The bottling is a sideline for them nowadays; most of their effort is in wholesaling and distributing soda and beer to taverns and other retail outlets.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 01:18:24 PM by Wayne Laepple »

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 05:47:09 PM »
Without offense to my Maine friends, there are several things that I can't buy here in Virginia.  Moxie being one of them, Australian Vegemite being another.  I'm not saying that is a bad thing, but one is either raised on it and loves it....... or....... well, that is why I travel North with cases of Cherry Coke or Dr. Pepper.  It's a childhood thing.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 06:09:28 PM »
BIll B. -- What? No Cheerwine?

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 07:45:30 PM »
Though Birch Beer was a drink of choice growing up, Moxie reminds me of the cough syrup I detested in the same growing up era. IMHO.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 10:15:13 AM »
Though Birch Beer was a drink of choice growing up, Moxie reminds me of the cough syrup I detested in the same growing up era. IMHO.

Back in my childhood, the hometown doc would mix his own cough syrup. It had a taste similar to Moxie, although uncarbonated. The first time I had a Moxie, it brought back that memory.

Jeff S
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 08:37:35 PM »
Regarding Moxie, Catawissa was a Washington State counterpart, Orca Beverage of Mukilteo, near Seattle.  We got a nice tour of the plant from the manager, who really rolled out the red carpet for us when I told her I was a member of the Moxie Congress.  She said had they known of our visit ahead of time they could have made a Moxie run for us.  Both of these bottlers use cane sweetener, not corn.  My wife will drink the cane Moxies but the corn sweetened only as a last resort.   

Gary Kraske

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 07:58:31 PM »
In my early childhood '41 - '45 I remember liking Moxie but when we moved back to Maine in 1949 I tried it and it tasted like burnt Birch Beer flavored pop!  Swore of it at that time.  P.S. I was 11 at the time.

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 07:40:14 PM »
After looking at the Moose Brook bridge, it reminds me of the fellow who was walking along the deck counting the spaces between the timbers.
Not paying close attention, he walked of the unfinished end, falling into the brook.

Moral.
When you are out of slits, you are out of pier.........................................

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 10:05:27 PM »
Ira,

And I though I invited whimsy and tomfoolery.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 10:39:30 AM »

After looking at the Moose Brook bridge, it reminds me of the fellow who was walking along the deck counting the spaces between the timbers.
Not paying close attention, he walked of the unfinished end, falling into the brook.

Moral.
When you are out of slits, you are out of pier.........................................

Ira,

Was he attacked by moose trout, once he fell in  :o??

Jeff S.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 01:09:57 PM by Jeff Schumaker »
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 11:17:32 AM »
No, but the donut he was munching on became thoroughly soaked hence the first DUNKIN DONUT.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2017, 12:10:33 PM »
Ira, Oh No!

Now we will either have to rewrite the history on the origin of Dunkin Donut's, or get a corrected version from Bill Reidy who, I have it on good authority, knows the true history of Dunkin Donut.

;D

Gary Kraske

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2017, 12:56:47 PM »
I remember getting Dunkin Donuts at a new shop in Glen Bernie, MD IN 1964.  I also knew that it was owned by a husband and wife team and they cleared $25,000 their first year, this while I was an electronic engineer grossing ~ $7,500 a year.  Granted that they worked their hides off!  I especially liked the original donut with the "dunking" handle!