Author Topic: November 2017 Work Planning  (Read 31335 times)

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
Re: November 2017 Work Planning
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2017, 03:10:40 PM »
Another big thing to keep in mind, our visitors, both railfan and non railfan already comment on how "crowded" our main yard looks from buildings. Often reffered to as "Tent City", our campus is starting to appear more modern and loose its historical appearance. Imagine how more cluttered it will look when a roundhouse and coal facility are built.

Might as well build one giant pole barn over the parkong lot, add a few rooms as needed, then we have a place to house our tired vehicles, etc.

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2017, 03:20:05 PM »
I still wish there was a way to have built the electric room in the basement of the house like the original plan was. Any model railroaders will get this term, instead of our museum looking like a spaghetti bowl of track, it looks like a spaghetti bowl of buildings. 

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2017, 06:27:47 PM »
And besides, it really does not want to be any bigger than needed, because of it's location on the south side of the Turntable.

Yes.  It's very unfortunate where the electrical building will be located, but I understand the need for it to be in this spot.  I would rather not see it be any bigger than is absolutely required.
What–me worry?

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2017, 10:08:25 PM »
One thought about Prebles is that it could be the flag stop at ToM, as that area is developed as a destination (saw mill, shingle mill, etc.).

Why not design and build an actual ticket office/booth specifically for that purpose?  It could be stored out-of-sight when not in use, but be positioned in the best place for ticketed events.

We move huge timbers around at will, so transporting a tiny ticket booth should be no problem.

If properly designed and planned ahead, it could be built in a weekend (don't we have some previous experience with that idea?!)

Bob

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2017, 10:40:28 PM »
Bob,

Plus we now have that great big forklift with which to move things around.  All we have to do is construct it on a proper frame. 

In fact we could make a frame for the Prebles Flag Stop so it could be relocated as needed now until it is time for it to be transported to it's final destination.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2017, 10:07:06 AM »
I think the better long(ish) term solution is to convert the Percival House first floor into a Visitor's Center/Giftshop as has been discussed many times. That's where tickets should be purchased every operating day (not just for special events.)

I disagree. You don't buy your train ticket in a house, you buy it at the station, or in this case, the freight station. And, believe it or not, there is some historical significance regarding the WW&F. As many of you know, there was a small freight shed located at Sheepscot, at one time. When the flagstop burned down, a portion of the freight shed was converted to a ticket office. There is a photo in one of the Narrow Gauge in the Sheepcot Valley books.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2017, 10:50:30 AM »
Jeff,
That building is our current tool house, across from the water tank
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2017, 03:29:44 PM »
Jeff,
That building is our current tool house, across from the water tank

The tool house was the final flagstop station at Sheepscot. On p 61 of Vol. 6 of Narrow Gauge in the Sheepscot Valley, there is a photo of the combination freight shed/flagstop that predates that.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2017, 11:28:42 PM »
Jeff, all that is nice.  But when we need a ticket booth for high volume events such as Victorian Christmas, why not have one that will serve that specific purpose and can then be put away the rest of the year so as not to detract from our historical mission.

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2017, 01:59:11 AM »
Paint the elec. house so it disappears (Invisible paint?)

A movable booth should be painted in WW&F RR colors.

Make it so forks will fit under. And you might consider being able to lift it with 3 point hitch.
If it had wheels like a Fish House, any vehicle with a hitch could move it.
Don't forget the floor insulation - 3 or 4 sheets of corrugated cardboard and a piece of carpet should do it.

This was posted at the Arlo & Janis Village

https://www.railserve.com/steamspecials.html

Victorian Christmas is listed.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 02:02:20 AM by Carl Soderstrom »