Author Topic: October 2017 Work Planning  (Read 1955 times)

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Re: October 2017 Work Planning
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2017, 06:27:09 PM »
The story is that after Vic died in 2010, his model railroad group wanted to remember him by planting a memorial tree at the WW&F.  We were happy to do that, the question was where.

At the time we were working on creating the parking lot.  The idea was that the parking lot would have defined lanes, and in the between the lanes we could put the tree.  That would keep it pretty safe from any wandering chain saws.  However the parking lot isn't finished yet (it still needs a good six inches or so of gravel), and after we used the lot for a year or so decided that defined lanes was a bad idea.  So it couldn't go there.

Next the idea of a memorial grove between the turntable and the road came up.  Except now we're putting in a building for buried utilities, leaving not much room for any kind of grove.

Earlier this year the idea of putting the grove between the house and the road happened.  Great idea!  So that's how that happened.

Everyone involved pulled all the threads together, and managed to get everything in place before the memorial occurred.  Never mind that the tree didn't get planted until the day before, and the stone arrived the morning of....

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2017, 12:42:56 AM »
I couldn't have said it better, James.

Jeff S.

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2017, 01:55:43 AM »
I note that the link to Vic's photo in the link is broken. Perhaps Steve H could post his photo of Vic installing the window frames in Coach 8.
Dave

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2017, 01:39:23 AM »
Work done on Saturday October 14:

* Bridge: Folks were applying preservative to the end grain, and pulling out unused staples.
* Parking lot: The area of the lot just off the new ramp to the house got built up with gravel, and compacted with the dozer and Kubota.
* Electrical drop building: The hole got filled, and compacted with the dozer and Kubota.
* Loco 10: Marcel was removing the glass from the cab pieces of #10, with the idea of getting a jump on getting the cab back together.
* Mountain ROW: Mike did more measuring and figuring.
* Board meeting: We had a looong board meeting tonight.  Much of the discussion dealt with issues with bridge and track construction.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2017, 02:30:34 AM »
But the PR committee gave those topics a run for time..very good discussions though..
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2017, 11:04:52 AM »
Anticipated work for Saturday October 21:

* Ballast delivery?  If any place needs ballast from track work.  If no place needs it, I'd suggest adding ballast to the east side of the main between the station platform and north switch, as that whole section will need leveling eventually.
* Boxcar 67
* Utility building
* Bridge construction
* Mountain ROW measuring

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2017, 11:21:25 AM »
Ballast is needed between Janes Way and Brook Crossing for sure. There are other spots noted in the track book that need ballast as well.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2017, 12:59:51 PM »
The Woods Track switch needs ballast, would be good since the switch also serves car barn bay 3.

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2017, 08:14:39 PM »
Definitely ballast & tamping. When I was there first week in Oct. I noticed a stock rail unsupported for a distance of about six feet. The gaps between the base and the top of the ties were small but large enough I could swing a chipped piece of tie between them freely.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2017, 10:24:10 PM »
Saturday morning I would like to install some filter fabric under the new track at the washout. We are going to start using it under all new track, as both sediment control and hopefully weed control. As we continue North, we need to do everything we can to stop existing erosion, fix the erosion, and keep from eroding again.

So just an extra hand or 2 would be all I need, and we will finish in no time
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2017, 10:34:56 PM »
That car of ballast could then be used on that new filter fabric. 

The tamper is in service.  Could run to Albees field and start fixing that mess, then deliver tamper to mill spur for that job. 

I’d suggest the filter fabric and stone over the Fossil washout as a priority, due to erosion concerns. 

Jason
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 10:38:55 PM by Jason M Lamontagne »