Author Topic: Improved Efficiencies & Mechanization for Track Building?  (Read 2172 times)

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
Re: Improved Efficiencies & Mechanization for Track Building?
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2017, 11:09:44 PM »
Here's the bottom line, Joe. If you really want to concentrate on trackwork, you have to assemble a crew of four or five guys who are willing to show up early and do trackwork to the exclusion of anything else that comes up at Sheepscot. You have to have a dedicated schedule that is inviolable except for heavy rain or some major crisis, and you have to stick to it no matter how much hassle you get from others. You have to be willing to start early so you can get some good track time without any interruptions, and you have to stay late so you can wrap things up after the last train has run.

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2017, 11:53:14 PM »
Unfortunately, it is hard to get a crew together on any day ready to leave before 9a.m. On a normal day now very few arrive before 8 which is why weekday track work is critical. Thus allowing a normal departure time of 9:30, back for lunch, and then go out again to be back by 4. Many of the weekday crew said they would be willing to bring a lunch if we get to the point of being further away from Sheepscot, and or leave a vehicle at Alna Center. On days when we advertise a weekend track crew no one shows up or ready to go till 9. Which doesn't work well. After the last few years we have gotten away from weekend maintenance and just this year started weekday work or non operating weekend day. Which I think works very well.

Richard Cavalloro

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2017, 12:38:32 AM »
I could make a weekday but someone would need to teach me what to do.....

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2017, 07:11:25 AM »
We are always eager to teach people. Sharing knowledge is always fun, and enjoyable with those willing to learn.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2017, 10:11:39 AM »
Joe,  the reason I suggested work weekdays is so "out of towners" like myself could come up and work without dodging trains.  Also, there are other experienced hands with trackwork that can lead teams.  Both Wayne and I have done more than our share during our careers although we're not as fast as we used to be.  At the least we can teach others how its done.

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2017, 12:15:47 PM »
John,

I appreciate your offer and agree on weekday work, though the plan Wayne suggests for weekends has worked for us in the past and is still viable. 

I want to bring a little emphasis to the fact that we aren’t looking for a lesson here.  We’ve been doing this for a while too.   We’ll listen to new ideas and implement them when they make sense.  Experienced help is great- we want it and will happily add it to our collective. 

Thanks,
Jason