Author Topic: Enginehouse - Official Work Thread  (Read 24199 times)

Ted Miles

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Enginehouse - Official Work Thread
« on: July 13, 2017, 11:25:05 PM »
Perhaps people can share their thoughts about the Enginehouse that goes with the turntable;

now that it is happily turning around. If I missed one please say where it is.

Will the structure be built to plans or just to historic photographs?

Ted Miles, WW&F Member

« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 02:45:37 PM by Ted Miles »

Robert Hale

• Hostler
    • View Profile
Re: Work Thread for the Round House
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 06:08:23 AM »
So will the new "show" be called "As the roundhouse turns?"  ;D

Dwight Winkley

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Roundhouse - Official Work Thread
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 09:45:00 AM »
Hi Ted. Am not sure if we have the original plans, someone else can answer that question. We do have photographs.

I do know original Wiscasset  roundhouse had three tracks. When you stand on the turntable and look at the roundhouse the original roundhouse had the run thou track on the left hand track. The museum will build the new roundhouse with the run thou track on the right hand track. This track is in service at the present time, it runs from the turntable to the North Yard.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 08:11:57 AM by Dwight Winkley »

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 12:18:19 PM »
The new roundhouse will essentially be a mirror image of the Wiscasset Roundhouse. At least externally.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

William Simonton

• Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
    • Steam Operation at Hinton, West Virginia
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 09:11:47 PM »
A couple of notes on roundhouse construction.

1)  Typically the center of the rear wall panels were designed to "Knock Out"  in sufficient width so that only a hole the width of a locomotive was opened and the whole rear wall of that bay was not required to be rebuilt.  The walls were permanent but allowance was made for Murphy's Law.

2.  Once the railroads began replacing cinder/stone floors with concrete, an "over run pit" was added just at the end of track to drop the front truck/axle.  The pit was covered with wood flooring so that was not open but the weight of the locomotive front truck/axle would break the flooring and drop the front truck in an over run situation.

Just a couple of design notes which although construction is not imminent and not Maine 2' gauge prototype, might want to be considered when the time comes.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 07:31:03 AM »
Interesting observations. I get a chuckle out of thinking about a breakaway type wall. I wonder how many incidents happened before someone changed the design enough..
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Ted Miles

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 01:41:19 PM »
Folks,
         This back wall business is still happening; the Colorado Railroad Museum built a brick six-stall Restoration Roundhouse in 2000. Just a few years ago, the Colorado  Historical Society donated the D&RGW #491, one of the largest class of narrow gauge locomotives that ever ran on the D&RGW. They had to re-build the back wall of one stall for her to fit inside the building!

I hope the new WW&F #11 will fit in the building when she is ready to go inside.

Ted Miles, WW&F and CRRM Member 

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 04:28:00 PM »
Ted,

I think that part is covered by our Engineering Department.  That's not to say that some re-engineering would be required if somehow a South African Garrett would show up on the property.   :o
Moxie Bootlegger

William Simonton

• Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 10:17:53 AM »
I forgot one thing which might also be useful.  The Pulley Block.  See the attached drawing details from a standard gauge roundhouse.

Roger Cole

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 04:49:35 PM »
Ted,

I think that part is covered by our Engineering Department.  That's not to say that some re-engineering would be required if somehow a South African Garrett would show up on the property.   :o

A Garratt would need some major re-engineering on the turntable as well.

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 11:55:06 AM »
Pardon my ignorance...what is this pulley block, what's it for?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 12:05:16 PM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

William Simonton

• Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 03:08:21 PM »
It is used a pulley system to move a dead engine without resorting to using another engine as the power source especially when repositioning the engine during maintenance.

Why in this case it it positioned off center I do not know.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2020, 11:34:42 AM »
Or completely replace all the axle, truck, and drive-rod bearing to roller bearings and re-balance the drivers, then a couple of guys would be able to just push the engine around.   :D

To all non-believers, there is film on youtube showing a NYC 4-8-4- Niagara with all roller bearings and rod bearings being pushed by 4 guys.
Moxie Bootlegger

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2020, 12:37:30 PM »
I have helped push No. 9 and No. 10 in and out of the shop on several occasions. Not that hard.

Bill Piche

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2020, 01:34:38 PM »
I have helped push No. 9 and No. 10 in and out of the shop on several occasions. Not that hard.

Depends on which track and how many people you have. Gordon and I had a hell of a time getting 9 out the door in bay 3 by ourselves last spring. The unseasonable humidity didn't help much, nor did that 9 doesn't like to be pushed on flat ground. Once we got her over the tipping point at the door to bay 3 she rolled fine, but those first 25 feet were killer.
Engineer/Fireman, MNGRR/WW&F/Essex
"Any day with steam is a good day." - me