Author Topic: June 2017 Work Planning  (Read 6595 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Re: June 2017 Work Planning
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2017, 02:28:10 AM »
I made the map using the software that I helped design and am the product manager for. Check it out at terrainnavigator.com.
That said, I will try to make an updated version the next time I need to "test" the software.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2017, 03:31:46 PM »
Here is a link to a very interesting railway based map. Even includes crossings, though unnamed, if you zoom in. Not as detailed as the map Ed provided, but shows all railroads.
http://www.openrailwaymap.org/mobile.php?
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2017, 02:14:23 AM »
Cool links, both of you.  Now if we could find a way to link the crossings on Mike's map (with names) to the TNC map update...

Ed does your s/w allow for blowing up the scale of the terrain map for more detail?  I suspect it does if someone is managing a 600 acre farm showing every detail such as culverts (from the testimonials on the webpage)...

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2017, 10:31:35 AM »
We haven't gotten that detailed yet. Though I had thought about it.
Mike

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2017, 11:50:48 AM »
The track charecteristics chart we made has crossings marked out, elevations, etc. Ed was kind enough to mark railroad landmarks on it as a guide.

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2017, 09:03:24 PM »
Work done on Saturday June 17:

* Archives: Linda wanted me to show her scanning after we had gotten some things scanned last week, so I did.
* Boxcar: Zack worked on the boards on the top of the boxcar.  No completed trucks yet.
* Fossell Washout fix prep: Mike got 1014 on the rails, then Fred loaded it with 4 rails and a bunch of ties.  Went looking for the right joint bars and found some but not all the ones we wanted.  Mike had to make a trip to the end to see what was needed for length and bolt spacings, then upon return drilled holes and cut off a small piece of rail on several.  Also needed two short pieces of rail to get up to the edge of the washout.  1014 is now on Bay 2 track ready to go north any time.
* Trains: Steam.  Local Mason's had their annual secret meeting at Alna Center, they went up on the 1:30 train, and a crew planned to get them at 6.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2017, 01:01:32 AM »
Yes, gathering enough joint bars was interesting. The rail we grabbed has a 5-8-5 bolt pattern. We were using 6-6-6. So, the south end of the first rails are now 6-6-6. The north end is 5-8-5, as well as the next whole rail, and the short rails we needed.

All the rest of the rails appear to be 6-6-6. Which is good, because we have lots of 6-6-6 joint bars.
Mike

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2017, 01:07:11 AM »
I imagine you found the 5-8-5s in the bar pile at the north end of Alna Center yard.  Bill Baskerville used a bunch of them to replace bars on the lower portion of Davis grade which did not have the proper hole pattern.  He did report the 5-8-5 bars as being slightly too tall -- hopefully they're fine for your purposes.

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2017, 04:55:42 PM »
I believe these are some of the bars purchased in Colorado.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2017, 09:53:08 PM »
Sunday, some top soil type dirt was leveled out on the lawn at the former location of a pile of gravel. The gravel was relocated west of the garage during the past 2 weeks. A little more to do to finish.

Also, I did a little welding to the Kubota, re-attaching a cutting edge to the blade.

I also had a handicapped friend come to the museum. He is in a motorized wheelchair. So he used Coach 8. Much to my surprise, this was his first train ride. He had even worked for Maine Central for a month before joining the service. Needless to say, he was very impressed. He was even able to turn around in the car (it was tight but he made it) and face south when the train headed south. A BIG improvement to how we can handle our mobility challenged guests.
Mike

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2017, 02:07:01 AM »
Mike, that is awesome.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2017, 03:22:46 AM »
Mike,

I am so pleased that the changes to Coach 8 worked out so well for our impaired guest.  Thanks for passing the information.

Bill
Wascally Wabbit

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2017, 11:51:39 AM »
Mike,

Glad to hear your friend was able to access Coach 8 for a ride.  Maybe you need to have him come back and see how much of the campus he can explore.  And there are several levels of that exploration; how many places he can access, and compare that to how many areas he can access comfortably and easily.  Wendy uses both manual and electric wheelchairs, and while she can get around, a lot of bumps cause her back pain due to the jolting.  And pain can be a major deterrent for keeping wheelchair-bound folks away or from enjoying the total experience we are trying to offer.

Off my soapbox now.

Dave Crow

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2017, 01:32:12 PM »
Sunday, some top soil type dirt was leveled out on the lawn at the former location of a pile of gravel. The gravel was relocated west of the garage during the past 2 weeks. A little more to do to finish.

Also, I did a little welding to the Kubota, re-attaching a cutting edge to the blade.

I also had a handicapped friend come to the museum. He is in a motorized wheelchair. So he used Coach 8. Much to my surprise, this was his first train ride. He had even worked for Maine Central for a month before joining the service. Needless to say, he was very impressed. He was even able to turn around in the car (it was tight but he made it) and face south when the train headed south. A BIG improvement to how we can handle our mobility challenged guests.

Sounds like the changes to coach 8 are working well.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2017, 02:35:41 PM »
Mike,

Glad to hear your friend was able to access Coach 8 for a ride.  Maybe you need to have him come back and see how much of the campus he can explore.  And there are several levels of that exploration; how many places he can access, and compare that to how many areas he can access comfortably and easily.  Wendy uses both manual and electric wheelchairs, and while she can get around, a lot of bumps cause her back pain due to the jolting.  And pain can be a major deterrent for keeping wheelchair-bound folks away or from enjoying the total experience we are trying to offer.

Off my soapbox now.

Dave Crow
I did manage to get him in the machine shop. That was rough, and through the turntable pit. And we went all the way out Barry Lane.
Wheelchair access to the train was perfect.
Mike