Author Topic: Sheepscot Details  (Read 1003 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Sheepscot Details
« on: March 12, 2017, 08:13:25 PM »
Over on Facebook, Stewart published this photo:

Some interesting details....

What is the building to the right of the station? Did it have any connection to the WW&F?

There is a sign on the building. What is it? Can/should we get a replica of it for placement on our building?

The coach clearly shows the pocket used by the Miller Hook coupler. It looks like the boxcar (308?) has link and pin.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Sheepscot Details
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 08:43:46 PM »
Ed,

I think the sign on the station lists the name of the express agency. I believe it reads American Express.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 08:45:13 PM »
I think I found a match for the sign:

I couldn't find any currently for sale. Past sales (at auction) appear to be in the $300-$400 range.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 08:46:40 PM »
The building to the right is quite likely an outhouse.

Benjamin Campbell

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 09:20:58 PM »
Definitely an American Express sign. I think there are several variants of this basic design. They are very attractive signs and would look great on our Sheepscot station although they represent a fairly specific date in history before the merger of several express companies into the American Railway Express Co. I don't usually think of flag stop stations as being agencies for the American Express Co and I doubt Sheepscot ever had a full time station agent. Is there any record of there being a part time agent? I follow auctions as part of my career in the antique trade and see several of these come up for sale each year in varying conditions. It shouldn't take long to find one should we decide to go that rout. There are also nice interior signs for American Express money orders etc etc

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 09:42:54 PM »
(1) Regarding the sign, Sheepscot had a part time agent for a few years and Am Ex transacted business on the WW&F. That's why Sheepscot had a sign.  We have the Am Ex sign from the Weeks Mills depot in the railroad archives.  The only thing different is that the word "AGENCY" is at the top.  See page 79 of Vol II of Narrow Gauge in the Sheepscot Valley for photos of the sign when it was on the depot.  The sign is fairly heavy, it's iron with an enameled finish.  We may post a photo of the sign on fb this week.

(2) Here's some thoughts on the building that shows up at the right edge of the 1910 era Sheepscot photo.  Since the uncropped version of the photo surfaced about 20 years ago, many believe (especially Chris McChesney and Gary Kohler when they were researching the NGSV books) that the building is our present day tool house.  As we know the building served as the Sheepscot depot in the last years of operation after the first depot burned.  The height and design of the corner matches our tool house.  It was not known where our tool house was before being moved in as the Sheepscot depot. The thing is, it doesn't show up in any photos along the railroad and it would make sense that it was a structure on the Cross Road that was moved to the station site.  We may never prove that the second depot is the building that partially shows up in the photo but it is logical.  
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 09:49:52 PM by Stewart "Start" Rhine »

Benjamin Campbell

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 10:35:10 PM »
Regarding the building to the right. How wide is the right of way here? I am guessing the building in question is on private land or possibly the town road right of way? I assume that Sheepscot station was locked when the part time agent was not at his post. I wonder whether this could have been a milk house or the like with dual locks so that local farmers could leave milk and or other commodities when the agent was absent? Or - assuming the railroad owned station was locked from time to time - did the town or a private individual build a secondary shelter which was open at all times?

I also like the outhouse Idea but I think it was more common for railroads to place them at the more remote - less used end of a depot and again - it appears to be on private or town property?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 10:44:17 PM by Benjamin Campbell »

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 11:20:33 PM »
The tool house makes sense to me. It's next to the road, so trackmen could reach it easily walking from their homes or coming in by vehicle.

Benjamin Campbell

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 01:05:42 AM »
We use it as a tool house today. Has it been suggested that it was used as one at Sheepscot? Section houses, shim shacks etc are usually closer to the tracks and again I ask whether the structure is even on railroad property?

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 03:59:25 PM »
I ask whether the structure is even on railroad property?

I think it is, the property line goes back 33 feet which today is about halfway through the little field between the station and the brook.  So the structure's back wall is probably right on the line.